Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What is a super affiliate anyhow?
    I tend to read the merchants forums in here and it's all about attracting "super affiliates". I suppose I read these to understand what merchants want in a publisher. The term gets used time and again, but don't really know what that is. Of course I understand abiding by TOS, PPC adherence, generate revenues, but I am not sure what a good revenue is, etc. One post stated to sell 10k per month, but that depends on the price of items. I have merchants that I sell $30 items for like crazy, and others with high ticket items that I sell infrequently but steadily. I'm sure this is normal.

I am a goal setter I guess! So am wondering what makes an affiliate of value in a merchant's opinion and where affiliates set their own bars. Is a "super affiliate" an across a given network or by merchant?

I'd be interested in other people's opinion on what makes a quality publisher and what sorts of goals you all have. Thanks!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I've heard $10K/month or $100K/year.

Basically a Super Affiliate is someone who can make 10k in commissions a month. It could be with one network, or across several ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    Basically a Super Affiliate is someone who can make 10k in commissions a month. It could be with one network, or across several ones.
    Ah, well that makes better sense, thanks. I could not tell if it was 10k per month is sales, which I thought was pretty darn low, or 10k in commissions. Since I was browsing merchants forums it sounded like they wanted that is sales, not (total) payout. The commissions number is a bit harder to achieve.

ABW Ambassador
    $10,000 in sales can be pretty easy to achieve, depending on what you are selling.

However, $10,000 in commission? Not many affiliates will ever even come close to this figure per month.

Something like 5% of affiliates make up 95% of earnings. I have heard that a few times before.

I've heard $10K/month or $100K/year.
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant commissions, not sales.

ABW Ambassador
    It would be interesting to hear what merchants think. As an affiliate, I consider a super affiliate someone who earns a few hundred thousand dollars in commissions in a year, combined from all sources.

ABW Ambassador
    I would think that to be considered a 'super affiliate' you would have to be more than just an affiliate who earns $xxx

You can earn a lot of money by ripping people off and breaking all the rules, but that shouldn't get you the title of 'super affiliate'

It has to be more than just how much you earn as an affiliate.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Speaking from my personal perspective CJ, you are talking about two different issues. Traditionally, "super" affiliate is a term I understand to mean someone who makes $10k + monthly commission. How they make it determines whether I allow them in one of my programs, but either way, the $10k puts them in the class of super affiliate. Example: Undeniably, Al Capone made a lot of money. However, I would not refer to him as a "super" person and would not have any desire to associate with him on any level.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

15 years and counting
    $10K/month or $100K/year in commission was true a long time ago (Before 2002)
    But, are you a Super Affiliate if you use Adware or Software?
    Are you a super affiliate if you spend $11K a month in advertising or PPC to get only $10K in commissions?
    Are you a super affiliate if you give back 75% of the $10K commissions you make? (Cashback)
    You're a super affiliate if you're doing a super job for your merchants and OPMs and are happy with the money you make. To classify affiliates is a bit tricky now.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    My definition of a super affiliate may be quite different. Here are a few of the qualities I use to determine "super" affiliate status:

1. They are open to communication.
    This means they have an email address on file with the network that works. I can reach them if a design is discontinued, if I find an issue with their links or if I just want to pick their brain for ways to make my program better.

2. They follow the rules.
    They respect the terms and conditions I police and enforce. They recognize when updates to our terms are made, it is to protect the good of everyone involved.

3. They are innovative.
    They aren't afraid to ask for new tools to be made available and they constantly seek new ways to pre-sell their site visitors.

I hope this helps. I think every affiliate has the possibility of reaching "super" affiliate status, but that too many are seduced by false promises of a quick buck for minimal work. In this biz, you get out of it what you put into it, and everything is constantly changing. You have to be able to roll with the punches and be sure the choices you make are ethical ones so that you can sleep soundly at night.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I think a Super affiliate is darn good at the game.

: )
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

You're a super affiliate if you're doing a super job for your merchants and OPMs and are happy with the money you make.
    I like Zeus' definition. Some of my merchants think I'm super. They treat me very well, always reply to my emails, get me stuff if I need it (banners, reports on my activity, etc.). Most of my merchants don't even know I exist. Little by little I'm eliminating them. I've found that I'm happiest and most productive when I'm working with merchants I trust who appreciate my efforts. Focusing on a niche and a limited number of merchants within that niche has worked best for me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by AM@4checks
    My definition of a super affiliate may be quite different. Here are a few of the qualities I use to determine "super" affiliate status:

1. They are open to communication.
    This means they have an email address on file with the network that works. I can reach them if a design is discontinued, if I find an issue with their links or if I just want to pick their brain for ways to make my program better.

2. They follow the rules.
    They respect the terms and conditions I police and enforce. They recognize when updates to our terms are made, it is to protect the good of everyone involved.

3. They are innovative.
    They aren't afraid to ask for new tools to be made available and they constantly seek new ways to pre-sell their site visitors.
    thanks for all of the answers, everyone. I appreciate the above, also. Perhaps I should drop the "super affiliate" term and ask what qualities are of value to a merchant. A dollar amount is difficult to determine - I have one merchant that I have sold $1,600 (sales dollars, not commission!) so far this month with 9 sales and good EPC, and another that I have also sold $1,600 so far this month with 30-odd sales and good EPC. I could not say which merchant would feel my sites are valuable. I never hear from anybody but they pay me on time so I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Focusing on a niche and a limited number of merchants within that niche has worked best for me.
    For myself, also.

On a note I have never gotten an email from any merchant, no matter how much I sell. I follow rules. What I have learned is to send emails asking questions and been very surprised at some great, focused responses. I've dropped merchants that don't respond and been really, really chapped by outsourced managers that don't respond.

Of course we all have dollar amounts, but I'm still working on my overall goals.
    This includes keeping merchants happy to have me around.

Super Affiliates are affiliate thats wear capes. Some can fly, others can run fast. Some even have x-ray vision. Some just have cool belts

I think the definition varies depending on who is asking. From a network perspective, it's an affiliate that produces good results in the network. From a merchant perspective, it's an affiliate that produces (or has the ability to produce) great results for them. From an affiliate perspective, it's someone who earns enough to do this full time and live a great lifestyle.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    If you do over $10k in sales CJ classifies you as a CJ Publisher. Whether this is a true benchmark for a super affiliate is open to debate. One guy I know does that amount in sales [across multiple programs] in a day.

If an affiliate can do more than a thousand dollars for your program and works with you, [IMHO] most OPM's will consider them a super affiliate
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

ABW Ambassador
    It's CJ Performer and it's $10,000+ in commissions per month. It's not based on sales.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    It would be interesting to know from AM's and others managing programs what monthly commission level you would consider an affiliate needs to attain to be defined as a super affiliate.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    It would be interesting to know from AM's and others managing programs what monthly commission level you would consider an affiliate needs to attain to be defined as a super affiliate.
    big ditto on that, although I am interested in a sale dollar amount also since commission percents can be so varied.

It is what I want to be : )

I am I am I am Superaffiliate and I know what's happening.
    I am I am I am Superaffiliate and I can do anything.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by layla
    big ditto on that, although I am interested in a sale dollar amount also since commission percents can be so varied.
    I'm interested in knowing why it matters. I understand it's a nice discussion piece but other than that....

ABW Ambassador
    Just like an affiliate selects a merchant who the affiliate thinks will perform for him, a merchant wants an affiliate who is a top performer to promote the merchant.

That said, super affiliates aren't always a good match for any particular merchant. If an affiliate performs exceptionally well in one sector, shoes as an example, that doesn't mean he will perform well for a computer merchant.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Just like an affiliate selects a merchant who the affiliate thinks will perform for him, a merchant wants an affiliate who is a top performer to promote the merchant.
    Ah I see makes sense. I guess that didn't occur to me because I don't set out to promote merchants, I set out to promote products.

I guess I just think differently because I don't really care for the "let's build a relationship" aspect. Just pay me on time, respond to emails (if needed) and we are good.

I don't care if I am on a merchants radar or not "oooh this is my super affiliate", and I don't need or want that type of validation. (And bonus commissions are a different topic)

Are my bills paid?
    Do I have money to save?
    Can I pay my workers?
    Can I take vacations?
    Am I safe from ever having to get a job?

That's what matters, not whether or not people think I am a "super affiliate". Pats on the back are for worker bees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast