damn, and they made it so hard to get $5

now they have "Refer A Merchant", where the offer upto $100..they made it hard to get, of course.

Black Out? you gotta be sh!tting me! - Nikola Tesla (while spinning in his grave).

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Ever since they made the refer a friend so hard to get I haven't had many referrals anyways, so I guess I won't miss it.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

It's not so hard. I just got my $5, and I think it was Haiko that got the other $5. The only hard part for me was trusting paypal enough to transfer $250 out of my bank account, but I figured I could just transfer it back as soon as the transaction went through.

I guess they've managed to make themselves ubiquitous and don't need to provide the incentive anymore.

I remember when PayPal first started, I did get quite a few referrals just selling on ebay.

My experience with PayPal and referrals (Paraphrasing a little bit):

"Thank you for referring a friend, to get your $5.00, please fill in the following form confirming your Grandmother's address."

two days later...

"Thank you for confirming your Grandmother's address. Now, please confirm your friend's bank account by making a small deposit (between 12.5 cents, and 37.1 cents), via you friend's credit card." PayPal will then make a small deposit into your account, you can then check with your bank in a few days to find out this amount then let us know how much we put in there, then you're almost done!"

one week later...

"We were unable to confirm your friend's bank account, and we can't tell you anything more about it. You are now ready to use your PayPal account, but will not be able to get your $5.00 referral until you can confirm your bank information. Please confirm your bank account information now."

Later that week...

"Thank you for confirming your bank account. We are sorry that we cannot provide you with your $ 5.00 referral as we have not been able to confirm your friend's bank account information, or your eBay email address. You're almost done."

Four days later...

"Thank you for confirming your friend's bank account information (even though we should have asked them directly). Your balance will reflect the $5.00 referral bonus sometime in the next 3 to 9 business days."

Three weeks later after trying to login...

"We're sorry, but your account is still unconfirmed. You need to provide your credit card information in order for us to confirm you. Once your account is confirmed to the next stage we will credit your account with the $ 5.00 referral bonus."

One week later after logging on...

"Thank you for choosing PayPal, your account is still not confirmed to the final stage. You need to provide your vehicle identification number (located under your windshield on the driver's side). Once we have confirmed your VIN information, we will probably ask for information from you about any eBay accounts you have. Don't forget, it's easy to earn $5.00 for each friend you refer to PayPal. Just give us their e-mail address and we'll credit your account - it's that simple...."

Well, you get the idea.

Fred

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>[B]You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"</font>

ABW Ambassador
    I never cared about the referal so I never had a link to Paypal even though I have been using it.

We have referred many, many signups from our site, and actual setups after signups for inexperienced clients .. never earned a cent .. we stopped promoting that ad because of the hurtles involved in getting the $5.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

[This message was edited by DesignerWiz.com Team on August 26, 2003 at 07:19 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joey:
    It's not so hard. I just got my $5, and I think it was Haiko that got the other $5.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Joey, Thank you, I owe you a

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

You owe me nothing! I got $5 too.

Ok truth be told ... I wanted more T*dd cartoons

</font></p>

Back when they made it easy I got quite a few referral fees.

I quit trying when they made it so hard, so I don't really care that they aren't doing it anymore.

I just checked and I have 86 referrals from customers who use my service, and all of them "pending". It dates back as early as December 2001.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ok..it's been so long since I've seen a referral from them I didn't even know it got difficult.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Sorry, no more t*dd cartoons.

Last time I posted one of those, he came after me with his motorcycle gang.

</font></p>

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread