ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare merchants have outdated creatives
    I am going through some merchants in Linkshare, deciding what to add to my sites.
    I am amazed at how many merchants have outdated creatives right on the main page when you go to get their links.
    From you Flowers has Valentines Day banners there, and Fujitsu have links that expired back in March etc.

What does everyone do when they come across this kind of stuff? Do you just move on and not bother with the merchant?

These merchants can't have much of an affiliate team if the creatives are not kept up to date.

I am curious as to how people feel about this.

I have noticed that a lot of the merchants I work with have expired creative. One merchant has 23 pages of creative with most of it being expired.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    It has always amazed me that merchants can put expiration dates on creatives, but can't seem to remove them from the interface once they have expired.

ABW Ambassador
    "I am curious as to how people feel about this."

It sucks, I've started more than a few threads giving examples over the years. I think merchants at Linkshare are the worst, followed by CJ, don't see much at Performics, some here and there.

I think the main problem is most merchants don't have dedicated people running the affiliate program. Most of the time it's just something else the marketing department does among many other things.

I was going to say, it is not a Linkshare exclusive problem. I see it in all networks.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I was going to say, it is not a Linkshare exclusive problem. I see it in all networks.
    This lady speaks the straight truth.

It is even more frustrating when you work late at night, when the eyes are about to close, posting these boogers to find the next morning when sunlight hits the subject, that you have posted wonderful creatives that were just designed for your site.........only to find that they are last months or last years material.

I need that.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Question:

Have you thought about what happens if that merchant deletes a banner in LinkShare?

What happens is that all affiliates who currently have it on their site get a default creative put in place of the deleted creative....and the size will most likely not be the same. This obviously creates a problem, so I guess the best thing to do, on the merchant side is to just replace any outdated banners with new banners of the same size. What do you all think?

Also, it makes sense that a merchant would have holiday related creative in LinkShare because an affiliate can use it the following year as well, if they think it is decent.

It's lazy, sloppy and annoying. Active and Inactive dates should be clearly posted and not some obscure year like 2080. If it's ongoing, it should state ongoing.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I understand your point....but understand it from the merchant side:

If a merchant loads a creative, and 40 affiliates add it to their site and the merchant than deletes that creative, the banner will be replaced with a default image, which may or may not the same size (probably not).

Many affiliates are not that active, so they would not notice that the banner looks terrible on their side....then the merchant suffers if a visitor were to not click through.

Also, merchants do not have the ability to set a creative as "ongoing." Merchants have to select an end date, which is why many pick dates that are years away.

Make sense? I would love to hear others thoughts on the issue.

ABW Ambassador
    Simple. Put a valid expiration date on it and notify your affiliates that outdated creative must be removed from their sites. If they don't comply after one reminder, they are not an important affiliate so remove them from your program.

Inconveniencing conscientious affiliates due to the behavior of a complacent affiliate isn't the way to run your program.

ABW Ambassador
    I was actually refering to the create links landing page in Linkshare. The page that tells the affiliate about the merchant. Some of the merchants have outdated information there. I wasn't meaning the actual banners and text links (although some merchants do have outdated ones listed)

For example, From you Flowers have Valentines Day creatives showing on their main create links page in Linkshare. That was 3 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Simple. Put a valid expiration date on it and notify your affiliates that outdated creative must be removed from their sites. If they don't comply after one reminder, they are not an important affiliate so remove them from your program.

Inconveniencing conscientious affiliates due to the behavior of a complacent affiliate isn't the way to run your program.
    This makes sense, but when a merchant account has hundreds of instances for creative, and over 5K affiliates, this won't always work. Often, many valuable affiliates in a merchant program are "set it and forget it types" that have set up a site, gained valuable organic rankings and continue to generate orders because of this. As a merchant, I am not going to delete a banner, that is live on an affiliate site generating orders for the company.

You will say that I should contact these affiliates directly, right? Tried that, it doesn't always work as they may have moved, or changed phone numbers/email addresses. But yet, they are still invaluable to the merchant program as they provide value with zero maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by cjshoppingnetwork
    I was actually refering to the create links landing page in Linkshare. The page that tells the affiliate about the merchant. Some of the merchants have outdated information there. I wasn't meaning the actual banners and text links (although some merchants do have outdated ones listed)

For example, From you Flowers have Valentines Day creatives showing on their main create links page in Linkshare. That was 3 months ago.
    Understood. To give some merchant insight - this isn't always an easy page to change as it can only be edited by one user (master login). Many affiliate managers do not even have access to that login, and even when they do, it is not easy to find exactly where to change that information. The LinkShare affiliate interface is much more manageable than the LS Merchant interface. But I get your point - if an affiliate does not get the information they need to apply to a program, then the merchant is at fault.

These merchants are just shooting themselves in the foot with these old creatives.
    I recently (again) looked at one CJ merchant, the first 'coupon' I looked at had an exp. date in May 2006....or 2005 (they have 2 different dates listed on the same coupon!
    They have more coupons listed w/no exp. date. I tried one of those..... "sorry, your coupon is expired".

If I was a new aff. of that company, would I spend any time promoting them? not

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    good feedback. we have like 400+ banners to manage. so its tricky. but the new linkshare tools to set expire dates help.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Linkshare Creative and Links...
    It is embarassing changing every single one of the LinkShare links to reflect xhtml1-transitional standards.

It's not so much that the odd change is required - I expect that with all merchant code - but the sheer sloppiness and antiquation of the LinkShare links are appalling. It's embarassing to be associated with that ugliness. I would never hire or consider using anyone to maintain my websites who wrote code like that!

Just my frustrational 2 bits worth!

>> outdated creatives

some merchants have ALL banners with expired date

LS disable all banner images, showing nothing

so i can only pick up some text links (expired as well) to use

it is the LS network affiliate links system design problem PLUS
    merchants' set it and forget it problem COMBINED

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread