ABW Ambassador
    Are there any free ways to verify an EID (employer identification number) or TID (tax identification number) of a business?

I want to know that people are who they say they are w/out the hassle of a W-9...

any suggestions?

CarSites.us - Free promotion for your automotive-related sites!

ABW Ambassador
    whups, just realized I put TID...sorry, should be TIN
    duh

ABW Ambassador
    Wouldn't know other than getting a copy of one of the forms they have to file with the government. Have you checked FirstGov? If there's a way to do it via the net it will be there.

ABW Ambassador
    well, I have a PDF file of the W-9 I got from IRS.gov, but it seems like a hassle to have people fill it out, sign it, and fax it to me, when all I need is the number & a way to verify it. The form basically says that if they're lying, they'd have to pay fines or go to prison. But again, how do I verify (w/out paying)?
    I took a brief look at firstgov, but will look more tomorrow when/if I have more time

ABW Ambassador
    If you ever get audited, you are going to want a piece of paper signed by people stating they are contract workers and their ids.

Having people fill out the form may seem like a hassle, but having the IRS on your butt because you didn't have them fill it out and there are questions is 10x worse.

We have had this happen to us. A contractor claimed he was an employee and we told him we were witholding his taxes for him, that is why he didn't pay any. One little fax to the IRS and the matter was resolved. (and then came back up just recently as the IRS seems to have a short memory, but once again it was resolved shortly when the proper paperwork was delivered to them).

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    My situation is pretty much the opposite. Only individuals/private parties will be charged on my site. Companies will have free access, but I want proof, which is where their EIN comes in. It's not for tax purposes. It's to prove they're a legit business so they won't have to be charged...basically, private parties will be paying to have access to those companies & I don't want Joe Shmoe claiming he's Such&Such Co. so he can have free access...hope that makes sense...

ABW Ambassador
    Why not verify off of email address/domain or whois record? Or are these businesses that may not have a web presence?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    The bigger companies definitely do, but the smaller ones, for the most part, probably will not. The reps for the bigger ones may be doing it on their own time & may want to use a private email address... I just figured that an EIN cannot be disputed, once verified that is...

ABW Ambassador
    Celicaphile, think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. If the reason you're doing this is so "real" companies don't have to pay a fee, it's really no problem for them to show you the proper paperwork. It's a part of the cost of doing business. If you don't want the Federal paperwork, just have them shoot you a copy of the state articles of incorporation, etc. You'd actually want the state paperwork rather than the Federal paperwork anyway. Look at it this way. If they're too lazy to forward the paperwork to you and save money, let them pay.

ABW Ambassador
    will all companies have that, no matter what size? even sole proprietors?

ABW Ambassador
    If a legitimate company is doing business, they have to register in the state in which they are doing business. Registration varies state by state and they are also required to register with the Federal Govt. Even sole proprietors have to register. A company or individual that doesn't register is not a legal business entity. What you want to see from them is the stamped version of approval from the state, with their state's Secretary of State's approval.

In my state, it looks exactly like a car title, except for the color. And yes, if they're legitimately doing business as a business, they have a state business license.

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    We don't have to have a state license, but we do need a city one in LA so if they don't have a state license to do business they should probably have a city one instead.

If they have a business name and aren't incorporated or a LLC, they should have d/b/a paperwork.

Kip

ABW Ambassador
    So, do you think the best thing to do would be to offer the W-9, but accept that, a copy of their federal or state articles of incorporation, a copy of their city or state business license, or dba paperwork?

What would be the best way to phrase this request? of course, I don't want to look stupid on my own site... (too late for here )

ABW Ambassador
    Just took a look at your site and noticed that you're marketing car sales. If the businesses you're talking about not being charged are auto dealerships, why not just ask for a copy of their business license? Everyone of them has to have it hanging on a wall somewhere.

ABW Ambassador
    The site I'm using it on isn't listed anywhere on ABW (it's not carsites.us)...thanks for the help btw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> will all companies have that, no matter what size? even sole proprietors?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Legit Sole Proprietors have what is called the Sales and Use Tax Certificate. It verifies, name of company, address etc.

hope this helps.

Proud member of the Internet Affiliate Marketing Association and gladly affiliated with EPage, Aluria Software!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread