The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    What Affiliates Want in Merchant Emails
    Did a "How can we be better" survey for Jos A Banks, and got to thinking about those 50 emails we get every day which are basically all the same:

Here's our latest promotion (in banner sizes you don't ever use)

and here's our top sellers (which always look better in the email then on my site)

So I'm starting this thread for any merchants that care to know

I have lots, but I'll start with my pet peeve.

Since the technology is there, address it to Dear Billy, rather then Dear Affiliate or Dear insert-name-here.

I'm more apt to read something addressed to me, rather then a mass-mailing.

Also, assuming I knew your name and sent you an email, would YOU rather it said "Dear Affiliate Manger" or "Dear Joey"? See how that works

If you manage a dozen programs and I only belong to one...

don't send ONE email with promotions for all twelve.

One, it makes you look cheap (we can save the 15 cents the Networks charge to send an email)

and lazy (I'm to busy to write 12 separate emails for the 12 programs I manage)

and only strtching a little bit here...

you think my limited time is of less value since you want me to use it searching for the one link I can use

to me, it's like spamming for the other 11. If I wanted to join them, I would have. Sending me their links with the one I actually need is NOT gonna motivate me to join them in the future.

This being a business where none can agree on anything, I'm sure SOMEONE appreciates getting the links for the other 11 merchants. But some don't. So why even bother alienating us if you don't have to?

BE THERE IN YOUR CHAIR for one hour after sending an email to affiliates

If there's a question - hey this new coupon code has an expiration date of last year - I'll email you right away

If you don't respond back right away, I will think you pressed the SEND button and went home because you get paid to send these amails, but don't really care enough about your affiliates to follow up on them

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'll add one that's been said before but bears repeating:

Let us know which network you're working with.

I get emails from merchants and have no idea which network to find then in or where to go get this fantastic new promo link.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Please include precoded links.

Don't send coupons without giving an expiration date.

Occasional reminders of regular - not coupon - shopping benefits to a customer such as free shipping over $xxx, or gift with purchase, etc. I've found merchants will all sorts of nifty stuff going on but it was really a search. And please let me know if an "ongoing" promotion has ended!! In fact, let me give that one another exclamation !

Maybe ask affiliates a feedback question such as what an affiliate would like to see in a banner. I know asking for feedback on anything can get messy, but merchants may get some good ideas on their target products which would help everybody.

Tell me if any tools such as data feeds have been updated or changed. This applies to the merchants who change things infrequently of course.

I have merchants who send no newsletters, nothing. Send one. Let me know what's going on.

This being a business where none can agree on anything, I'm sure SOMEONE appreciates getting the links for the other 11 merchants. But some don't. So why even bother alienating us if you don't have to?
    If I don't want to see the promotions for the other 11 programs under normal circumstances, imagine how I'll feel getting those promos for merchants who I was rejected for!!!

Rather then making me want to promote, I'd take it as a slap in the face - a neverending reminder every time I get one of your emails.

hee, hee
    oooooh I have to learn to not copy and paste things I'm sorry everybody that the words are big. didn't mean to and it didn't look that way when I posted it.
    Trust....where are ya when I need you??? Please make it be little again.

"SOMEONE appreciates getting the links for the other 11 merchants."
    lol ummm yeap I definitely understand what ya mean, tho. I only like gettin an email with all those merchants when I actually belong to all of em. It saves me a lotta time just bein able to go thru one email ....opposed to having to go thru 11 emails. So do really like that.

Did that same survey, too.
    Agree with your first one definitely...even got a termination (which is another one of my pet peeves cos it sounds like they're sending out their affiliate hit man after me.) Somebody had terminated me even when I had some sales with them. Didn't even address me by my name and was soooo d....phoney and insulting and think it ended with somethin like have a nice day or something. Was in a reaallly bad mood that day so I wrote back to em and let em know what I thought (they coulda cared less but made me feel better at the time) I started it out by asking him if he woulda liked bein addressed by just Dear Mr. affiliate manager and told him if he was gonna terminate me he should at least address me by my name.

Totally agree with ya. It's disrespectful to not address a person by either their name or at least the site name. Guess it's ok for just generic type emails that go out to everybody but if it's something where you want an affiliate to join your program or something...kinda makes ya look silly if you're sayin how your site's really great and think you'd be a great fit with them if ya can't even address who they are. lol

Definitely agree with: "
    this new coupon code has an expiration date of last year" and then they're not there to answer your email.

Think I commented on somethin similar today in another post. That's definitely a pet peeve. Pleeeeaase include expiration dates for any coupons, sales, etc.
    Did comment in that other post that I do the opposite and let those who include everything in em how much I appreciate that.

Really don't have much pet peeves other than I don't like bein treated disrespectfully. Referring to terminating me definitely don't like that term lol and makes it only worse when ya can't even address me by my name.

Did mention in that other thread. Please don't send me an email without including what the name of the program is at least somewhere in the email. Especially if the return email address is some company you work for that I'm not familiar with and ya don't even give me any clue so I can tell which program you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Let us know which network you're working with.
    This was going to be mine. There is an OPM that has quite a stable of merchants and they often leave off the network information. I do all my work one network at at time.

To top it off they don't respond when you reply.

Performics sends me every email to both my primary and secondary email account. Support worked with it to try and straighten it out, but I had to finally create a junk account as a second. Everything in that account gets deleted without looking.

What Affiliates Want in Merchant emails?
    Well..., If the cash bonus on some of those emails can't be obtained on the spot by the floppy drive that looks like an ATM slot on some of our tower CPU's, then... I would like to just get a real deal on those emails.

ABW Ambassador
    I just want emails with no images at all, just text links, no fancy graphics or news about their company, I don't want to know if Joe Blogs is leaving and John Blogs is taking over, I don't want to know if I'm one of the top affiliates for the month I will make 20% commission or I will get $XXX amount added to my account (unless I'm close to been one of them affiliates). I don't want those damn SKU file updates from Linkshare merchants, I don't want promotions if they could be placed in the networks promotion feed,...

Please just send me an email like this:

Hi,

here is this Months links (not weekly as too much work):

Example:

Save $50 off widgets
    coupon: save50
    expiry date: 012/31/2008
    Link: whatever.com/blablaba1-affiliateID=MYACTUALAFFILIATEIDHERE

Save 30% off widgets
    coupon: save30
    expiry date: 012/31/2008
    Link: whatever.com/blablaba2-affiliateID=MYACTUALAFFILIATEIDHERE

etc etc
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Include a deep link (any link for that matter) with EVERY single promotion, coupon or deal you send that is PRECODED with my affiliate ID.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Let us know which network you're working with
    I get emails from 2 managers that don't even tell me which merchant they are with. Now if I had met them somewhere already, it would be different, but these guys both think that their program is so big and so desirable that all they have to do is send me a note with this week's code (and a follow-up correction the next day) and I'll just KNOW who they are.

The first few times I actually picked through the code to figure out who they were. Now I just delete them.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Billy, if your name was really "insert-name-here", you would be the most popular guy on the internet.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

LOL Elbow,

Lately, it seems my name has been changed to "TEST EMAIL"

I'm only interested in emails that go something like this:

"Congratulations, You've won our affiliate contest and will receive a $500 bonus"

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib

"Congratulations, You've won our affiliate contest and will receive a $500 bonus"

- Scott
    Then you wanna join my affiliate program.

I think it would be good to mention what is selling and what is not/ what's-hot-and-not. The worst thing to do is to push hard for a merchant and at the end of the day, you find out that "floral pattern" was last season's fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib

- Scott
    I would guess you'd also like an initial email detailing how you can get that $500 bonus...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    I would guess you'd also like an initial email detailing how you can get that $500 bonus...
    Bigger surprise without it

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Accuracy!!!

...if you include an affiliate ID, make sure that it's MY ID!
    ...if you include a coupon code, make sure that the code is correct!
    ...if you include a coupon, make sure that the start and end dates are correct!
    ...if you include promotional copy, MAKE SURE YOUR COPY IS CORRECT!!!
    ...if this is a bulk mailing (which most are), make sure you use the BCC field. You just sent my e-mail address to everyone on the list.

Basically, if you want me to spend the time reading your e-mails, I expect you to spend the time to make sure that they are accurate. Remember the rule: "Measure twice, cut once".

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; May 17th, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I want the actual HTML code in the email in an input field so i don't have to login to cj or linkshare or whoever the network is to get it.

I want my affiliate ID already in the code

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread