Quick Question on Being Terminated from a program
    I have no reason to suspect this has happened, but can someone at SAS assuage my fears, and simply state that we can't be removed from a program in the SAS House without receiving an email, etc?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ooh never heard of that happening. If somebody doesn't let ya know, an affiliate's links could be up for quite some time naybe before they'd realize it.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    ooh never heard of that happening. If somebody doesn't let ya know, an affiliate's links could be up for quite some time naybe before they'd realize it.

However if you are terminated and your links are up, they end up at a dead page for SAS which actually causes damage to the Merchant as well so it sort of becomes a double edged sword to not alert the affiliate before expiring them, if they do not receive an expiration letter first.

This is also bad for your traffic if you do not know there is a dead link, but doubly bad for the merchant who wasn't thoughtful enough to let you know ahead of time.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

but doubly bad for the merchant who wasn't thoughtful enough to let you know ahead of time.
    Which is why I'm hoping there's a notice from the network as well.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

You could tell from the merchant summary page, but you would have to check continually

15 years and counting
    Kevin - I have no reason to suspect this has happened, but can someone at SAS assuage my fears, and simply state that we can't be removed from a program in the SAS House without receiving an email, etc?
    Worse than being terminated, a crooked merchant can set your commission level to $0 without firing an email. Your links will not be redirected. No email from the network.
    A merchant can remove you from SAS with an unrelated empty email "Program Application DECLINED"

err...why would anyone be terminated from a program at all, assuming the affiliate is not black hat or some such.

And why in the heck would a merchant not send out an email? That would be overall affiliate relations suicide when the affiliate came here to rant about it. Should a merchant do something like that, I can not imagine a decent network keeping them around for long. Very bad move. Breach of trust on a lot of levels.

I just don't see this happening but then again, I live in a bubble sometimes. Okay, often.

Layla
    ummm hate to burst your bubble but umm, yeap unfortunately you'll find that there are some affiliate managers who will "terminate an affiliate" (hate that term bein used cos it sounds like they're sending their affilate hit man after me) removing somebody from a program sounds much nicer. And...don't feel bad about living in a bubble at times. I do, too.

But yeap...terminate is a term used most often and there are some affiliate managers that will remove an affiliate for no other reason than just not having sales or enough sales with that merchant. They can be doing everything by the book, nothing wrong at all but still have it happen. The majority of affiliate managers here at the forum don't think like that and agree there's no reason to do it cos that same affiliate the next year or even several years later might turn out to get a lot of sales, but there are some affiliate managers that think differently and will do it. You can find several posts here at the forum on the subject.

What's even more frustrating sometimes is those affiliates who may be doin things bad....won't get removed from the program by those same affiliate managers.

Please, try not to let it upset you if it does happen to you cos even some of the biggest affiliates have had it happen to them. Most everyone at some point has had it happen. Try to look at it that it's their loss and find another merchant with similar products who will appreciate your efforts.

Agree that it's not a smart move by the merchant or affiliate manager either not to tell the affiliate. Would also hope that a network would let the affiliate know.

Is there a number you can call to ask directly?

Zues: You're correct. But in this case, technically setting my commission level to zero wouldn't help.

I'm asking directly because I live in New York
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Zues: You're correct. But in this case, technically setting my commission level to zero wouldn't help.

I'm asking directly because I live in New York
    Scary place right now!

purplebear, I appreciate my bubble burst sometimes. It's good information so thank you. I tend to keep my merchant lists pretty clean and only have those that are generating revenue, but I've certainly run into merchants I ceased to trust...and I am never sure why things aren't straightforward (my bubble is a nice place) or what to pay closer attention to. This thread points out one.

And affiliate hit men sound scary.

And affiliate hit men sound scary
    I think of them as similar to the library police.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey Kevin,

I know we chatted a bit earlier this morning in betwixt an exchange of YouTube hockey moments, but figured I'd put it here too. With ShareASale, the merchant does NOT have access to your address (unless you've given them permission, of course). So they simply don't know if you live in New York or not.

However, in regards to your other question, while it is certainly best practice to contact/notify an affiliate prior to termination, the affiliate and merchant relationship is essentially considered "at-will." That means, you can quit a program without notice, and they can terminate without notice. Pretty standard.

I've not heard any rumblings regarding the New York case yet, but rest assured, we have our ears to the ground and are just as attentive to the issue as you all.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

ABW Ambassador
    "That means, you can quit a program without notice, and they can terminate without notice. Pretty standard."

That's true but what I think he was asking is when that happens, do affiliates get some kind of notice, like an email so they know they were terminated? I do get notices from other places if a merchant closes their program, terminates me etc. So then I can move forward and remove links.

If the merchant is not aware an affiliate is based in NY, what is their liability as far as the NYS tax law? We were actually contacted by a SAS merchant a few weeks back inquiring if we were based in NY. It seems hard to believe that only one merchant in SAS has thought of this.

Ah, okay. In ShareASale, if a merchant switches your status from Approved to Declined, you will automatically receive an email and your status will be listed as Declined in your Activity Summary report.

That help?

Quote Originally Posted by smallaff
    If the merchant is not aware an affiliate is based in NY, what is their liability as far as the NYS tax law?
    I hear ya, but would prefer that a legal expert answer this. Brian is currently away on business and will be back in the office tomorrow (and likely on the boards this evening), so he may have on this topic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Ah, okay. In ShareASale, if a merchant switches your status from Approved to Declined, you will automatically receive an email and your status will be listed as Declined in your Activity Summary report.

That help?
    The decline email automatically goes out when an affiliate is declined, but what if the AM instead sets the status to "not approved"? It seems like any change of status should generate some sort of notice.

BTW, I've always thought it was a little strange that the decline message that most merchants write with a declined new affiliate application in mind is also used for removing a previously approved affiliate. Seems like there should be two distinct messages, one for declined apps and one for removed affiliates.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Thanks CTang. In this particular case, I'm satisfied with knowing that if my status is changed, I will receive a network generated notice. Discussing the why's and wherefores of the answer is best left for another thread.

Secondly, Rob Ray totally owned Dennis Bonvie and that fight. Nuff said.

@Smallaff: I would encourage you to start another thread specifically on that issue, but in either the Affiliate Legal Lounge, or in Merchant Best Practices.

edit: @ samllaff: Affiliate Legal Lounge.
    @eathan: Separate thread here... I combined your question and Smallaffs question when responding.
    Last edited by Kevin; May 16th, 2008 at 02:07 AM.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Oh, and fourth, I would hope everyone would note the import of what Carolyn said above.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Ayup, and here's the official statement from the boss:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...091#post830091

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread