Question Need to grease the orangelinks
    I only sign up for a few programs at a time, once they're basically started I go and look for some more while I'm adding meat to the first few. The problem is that when I join a program and go in and set up my orangelinks and then go back to working on the first pages, the orangelinks for the next group never show up. The first group of orangelinks did not show up so I contacted Jamie and got them right away, also got help on a few applications, great service. But on May 7th I set up orangelinks for three more programs and I'm still waiting for them now a week later. Yes, I have checked the gmail spam filters, but nothing has been sent. I contacted Help via the webform and got a response yesterday confirming that the orangelinks were set up correctly - but no orangelinks. I don't want someone to need to manually send me orangelinks, but there's something wrong if it is set up correctly and saved and I'm not receiving anything. I get new program announcements all the time that I would like to join but until I get past the bottleneck of trying to get links I'm hesitant to join more. I tried the Download link and got a page of gibberish because I use OpenOffice, not Excel.
    I have signed in and gotten links the one-at-a-time copy and paste way but that is such a slow way to get links, I need to get the orangelinks problem fixed so that I can keep moving with new programs. Any ideas?

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    THere is an option that needs to be turned on I think it says "none" so it is not really obvious.

Had same problem in my test account, they need to change the wording on those options it is the opposite of why you would expect
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Where is this option at? Is it somewhere in the orangelinks setup? I ask because I can't find it.
    They changed my email address to all lowercase and that was supposed to fix it, but when I log in it is not all lowercase and when I try to change it, it says "New Email Address Box Must Not be Blank" but there is no "New Email Address" box, just a checkbox for "I want to change my email address", no other live form blank on that page. They have assured me that it is all in lowercase but it looks the same from this side.
    I still have not received the orangelinks I setup on the 7th.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

Can you please send me an email with your publisher ID?

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
    jamier[at]google.com

Hi Jamie,
    I sent you an email with my PubID last Thursday, I still have no OrangeLinks. Any help greatly appreciated.

Day 13: I logged in to get some more links manually, added a second email address to see if that would help. nada. I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to work this way. BTW Bob , thanks for your tip I did find the 'none' box but changing it didn't move anything.

Hello,

We do not see any errors on our end regarding your OrangeLink files. The likely cause is no new offers/promotions available for the advertisers you've signed-up with.

I've asked someone to contact you. He will assist you further.

Thank you,

Jamie

Yes, I received an email from someone there and I found out that it was my expectations that were wrong. I thought OrangeLinks was a way to get all of the available links for a program, but they explained that it would only send out links when there were updates. Now I have to figure out how to get the links some other way. I did appreciate finding out that I was barking up the wrong tree.

Now I have to figure out how to get the links some other way.
    I feel your pain. What I do until the Orange juice starts to flow is go "get links/by advertiser" then select "Available Links" for your individual merchant. Then I select what type of links I need and download them in excel file. Then my setup crunches that into my database. They really should have a way for you to catch up with the OrangeLinks.

Thank you bumpaw, I have tried that, where it says download links but it opens in an html page and what I got was a page full of gibberish. I use OPenOffice. I can open Excel files just fine, but the file that opens to download isn't .xls or .xlr or any of those things, it's a html page but not in text. I get the pop-up for save to disk but when I save it it isn't anything I can read.
    I end up logging in and copying and pasting the links one at a time into a text file, that works fine, it just takes a lot of time and means I don't take all the available links. I use the beta 'Get Links' interface which is better than the default "Get Links" page.
    When I'm building a new page I like to have the variety of links available so when I see the right place to put it I can choose the one that fits and goes with the words.
    I'll catch on sooner or later, I'm just used to the way that other network makes it too easy.

Got some OrangeLinks this morning

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I have tried that, where it says download links but it opens in an html page and what I got was a page full of gibberish. I use OPenOffice
    I tried to duplicate your problem and here is what I get. When I click the download link usually I select Open With excel. But if I do Save As to the desktop I get a file named download_links.html If I click that it opens in Firefox and is as you said gibberish, but if I right click and do Open With excel it works. Did you try that with your Open Office equivalent to Excel?

Edit: I just tried it on my Linux PC and when the prompt came to Open or Save I selected Open With Open Office 2 and it worked like a charm.

Thank you bumpaw, I will give that a shot this evening. I don't have OpenOffice on my startup menu so it is not available as an option for "Open With" but I can change the setup to have that option available and then try it out. Ususally I only open the OPenOffice suite when I'm going to work with it but if that's the way to get the links I'll put up with it being open all the time. I appreciate your help. It is frustrating trying to move ahead without the right pieces to work with.

Thank you for troubleshooting Bumpaw!!!

Yes! that fixed half of the problem. I was able to get every link I had checked off. There are 5 pages for the particular merchant I was trying to get so now I know that I can go in and check off evey link one at a time and download them. I guess this is another slow learner question, but why isn't there a way to toggle all links? There's a little checkbox at the top of the list that looks like it would be intended to toggle all the links but it doesn't toggle anything. I really am not all that lazy, but it still seems like a waste of a good half hour to check them off one at a time. I surely do appreciate the help from bumpaw!

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Yes! that fixed half of the problem. I was able to get every link I had checked off. There are 5 pages for the particular merchant I was trying to get so now I know that I can go in and check off evey link one at a time and download them. I guess this is another slow learner question, but why isn't there a way to toggle all links? There's a little checkbox at the top of the list that looks like it would be intended to toggle all the links but it doesn't toggle anything. I really am not all that lazy, but it still seems like a waste of a good half hour to check them off one at a time. I surely do appreciate the help from bumpaw!

That checkbox at the top is supposed to toggle all...we'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Larry Adams
    Product Manager

Ooooh, if that can be fixed it will take care of everything as far as getting all the links. I went in this morning to get the WORX links and after checking all 52 of them off I was able to open the file just beautifully. I had minor trouble yesterday because even with OpenOffice open it wasn't on the list of programs to 'Open With' so I browsed up to it and now it's on the 'Open With' menu. All of the links were there and ready to go. No more difficulty getting the links. I think what messed me up was that the link says 'Download' when it needs to be 'Opened'.

That checkbox at the top is supposed to toggle all...we'll take a look at it. Thanks!
    It is still not working. The links still need to be ticked off one at a time.
    The worst part is over, thanks to bumpaw, I am able to download the links, one checkbox would just make it ever so timesaving easier.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread