No Longer Banned!
    "What IF" I remove no follow Tag ?....
    Hi

On some ads I noticed that when I edit them there is a <rel="nofollow">Website <a /> tag.

So what happens if I remove the tag or mod it ? ~ It was obviously auto generated.

Ideas ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

ABW Ambassador
    It'll get followed. On a side note, I would edit your sig before you lose all rights to it. The more than 3 lines and the keyword stuffing -

"Signatures must not be greater than three lines of text and may not contain links to any adult or otherwise offensive websites (in our sole opinion). Images are Not allowed in signatures, nor are any affiliate link(s) or any keyword stuffing attempts."

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=53660

ABW Ambassador
    If I'm not mistaken, no follow tells the search engines not to follow the link. Shouldn't have any effect on you, unless you are trying to sell to robots?

Some of the experts here might be able to tell you different, but in my opinion, if it is an auto generated link and you aren't sure about editing it, leave it be. Better safe than losing out on commissions.

Edit: Awww, Trust beat me, lol.

No Longer Banned!
    Hmmm.

I posted an ad and was correcting a spelling error and saw the no follow tag {NOT ABW BTW} and I actually want the SE's to index it.

T raffic !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

ABW Ambassador
    I posted an ad and was correcting a spelling error and saw the no follow tag {NOT ABW BTW} and I actually want the SE's to index it.
    Steve, not quite following you here (har har), but is the ad posted on a website? It will be indexed. The no follow tag tells the robots not to follow the link. If the merchant website is already indexed, it will stay indexed. Your link just won't add any value to the page rank.

Hopefully that makes sense, if I explained that clearly enough?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Hmmm.

T raffic !

Steve
    Many of the classified ad and even most blog type sites have no follow on user posted links to de-value the site to spammers. The no-follow still gets followed by search engines but it does not pass any link value which is what devalues it in terms of page rank. It's a way of telling the engines: "this was not a link 'we' posted and do not endorse the site it links to".
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    From an SEO perspective you should no follow any links you do not want to pass page rank to also.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Many of the classified ad and even most blog type sites have no follow on user posted links to de-value the site to spammers. The no-follow still gets followed by search engines but it does not pass any link value which is what devalues it in terms of page rank. It's a way of telling the engines: "this was not a link 'we' posted and do not endorse the site it links to".
    Ooops, thanks for clearing me up.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread