How NOT to make money online?
    I ran a music based web site. I was part of Amazon, All Posters, and quite a few other affiliate programs.

In 4 years, I made maybe $20 in affiliate sales. 4 YEARS.

It wasn't my main source of income (obviously my site would be gone with $20 worth of sales). But it drove me crazy seeing all those hits to Amazon, All Poster.com, and other sites that I THOUGHT were related to music and get nothing in return.

So to open a line of discussion here:

What's the DIFFERENCE between someone who makes a TON of money with affiliate programs - someone that makes a decent income, and someone that makes virtually NOTHING? There's obviously a winning AND losing formula here, but is it really as simple as good old SEO?

thanks

---------------------------------------

just an avatar...not really me!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit

What's the DIFFERENCE between someone who makes a TON of money with affiliate programs - someone that makes a decent income, and someone that makes virtually NOTHING? There's obviously a winning AND losing formula here, but is it really as simple as good old SEO?
    =
    Traffic

Let me add: Targetted... traffic.

By targetted, I don't mean people interested in the topic. I mean people looking to buy when they get to your site.

Adsense is for content sites. Affiliate programs are for marketers, IMHO.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Kevin is spot on, targetted buyers. Base a marketing program for your site on how buyers are actually searching for the product, not just on how you think they are supposed to be looking for the topic in general.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Yep, the visitors that you attract to your site make all the difference. I have three different sites that I promote Amazon.com on. One makes about about $0.01 per click from Amazon. The second makes about $0.10 per click. The third makes about $1 per click. It's all the same merchant (Amazon.com) and affiliate (me), but the difference is how targetted the traffic to the site is. From the worst to the best, it's a 100X difference.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Lots of people make mistakes by shooting shot guns and hoping some of the shot will hit its target.

I think the successful marketers are more snipers who focus in on a specific target and do it well.

Of course there are 2 schools of thought. One is to get as much traffic to your site as possible and figure there has to be some buyers who will click on ads and text links. Then there are people who design sites that win on terms that serious buyers might search for.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Oh, one way to judge your effectiveness is to compare your conversions and EPC to that of the merchant's overall numbers.

You would have to assume that at least half of the affiliates with links to a particular merchant are not very effective in what they do. If you are not beating those comparisons than you need to study why.

That way you are not comparing the volume of traffic you get vs. someone else, only the quality of that traffic for that particular merchant's product line.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Thanks guys. One problem I see is that many affiliate do not think in these terms. They put up rotating banners on their site hoping they're going to make a fortune. They make nothing and blame it on the merchant. It took me 4 years to realize that I was sending traffic AWAY from my web site for nothing.

Hi,

I think the difference is knowledge.

Someone who generate tons of money in affiliate mktg
    is because of their knowledge.

They have a system that they use to promote
    affiliate product.

You just need to learn that system and you can
    get the result just like them.

Best,
    Khairi

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Try this one: The Magic Bullet Thread
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Bravo!!

I could also add that if you send a group of ten year olds to a Mercedes dealer, you won't see much return. Targetted traffic is marketing, shotgun traffic is wishful thinking.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Bravo!!

I could also add that if you send a group of ten year olds to a Mercedes dealer, you won't see much return. Targetted traffic is marketing, shotgun traffic is wishful thinking.
    I am very new to this and wondering about the targetted traffic. I think I know what you are saying, but it would be helpful if it were spelled out more clearly thanks.

I have been following the advice throughout of content, giving people something to do on the site, sticking to what I know etc... Now, I am trying to figure out how to get more traffic and the traffic that my site attracts. Any help would be wonderful.
    Thank you so much

Here's an example of how we attract targeted traffic. We offer many different individual and specific products on our website. We stock some items, sell other via dropship, and market others through affiliate links, primarily eBay links. Each product has it's own web page with images and a detailed description. Each individual page is listed on Google Base using a bulk listing file as well as updated through sitemap submission to Google through Google Webmaster's Tools. Because each product has it's own webpage, traffic to those pages is extremely targeted. A visitor clicks the link from a SERP expecting to see the specific product that they already have an interest in. The product pages with eBay links will display an eBay results list with a number of choices for purchase. The visitor has many choices for one product. We boast a CTR currently of 67% for eBay linked products. You can't get much more targeted than that...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Here's an example of how we attract targeted traffic. We offer many different individual and specific products on our website. We stock some items, sell other via dropship, and market others through affiliate links, primarily eBay links. Each product has it's own web page with images and a detailed description. Each individual page is listed on Google Base using a bulk listing file as well as updated through sitemap submission to Google through Google Webmaster's Tools. Because each product has it's own webpage, traffic to those pages is extremely targeted. A visitor clicks the link from a SERP expecting to see the specific product that they already have an interest in. The product pages with eBay links will display an eBay results list with a number of choices for purchase. The visitor has many choices for one product. We boast a CTR currently of 67% for eBay linked products. You can't get much more targeted than that...
    With the help of Casey, I think I am doing most of that. I have discovered more ways today to get more traffic and it seems to be working. The social network is more popular than the store at this point, but I expected that. I think once people trust me with the social network they will go to the store. At least I hope so

Use many type of advertising
    You could use several types of advertising.

example: affiliate, pay per click, pay per leads

It is simple, each one, will bring you different type of revenue. (short term, long term, etc.)

Smile how NOT to make money online?
    I ran a music based web site. I was part of Amazon, All Posters, and quite a few other affiliate programs.

In 4 years, I made maybe $20 in affiliate sales. 4 YEARS.

It wasn't my main source of income (obviously my site would be gone with $20 worth of sales). But it drove me crazy seeing all those hits to Amazon, All Poster.com, and other sites that I THOUGHT were related to music and get nothing in return.

So to open a line of discussion here:

thanks
    Hi Afilyit
    I know where you're coming from lol (I had same prob with my music site...)
    But after a while I was getting aware that its the kind of niche you're promoting which makes the difference. Traffic is a must for sure, but it must be targeted traffic. Besides of this, music is a huge area and NOT a good niche for the little guy, as there are many big brands promoting their sites with big budgets - thus you wont stand a chance against those competitors... there are some little rules to follow when choosing an affiliate product/service to promote. Good old SEO is not sufficient - some are running the Adwords path for getting leads, others are joining Traffic Exchange sites for getting their leads, others are doing forum marketing - others are doing all at once (which is rather time consuming...)
    Hope this helped a little bit

I'd like to add - targeted traffic yes, but to a profitable topic/niche. Then you need the right monetization in place.

Also, the right affiliate program(s) can blow Adsense/YPN out of the water on content sites.

I personally see nothing wrong with the shotgun method, used for the right reason and with proper tracking. You do need to aim it in the correct general direction, and then see what might hit. When you do, then pull out the .50 cal. sniper and zero in on the revenue.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Yep, the visitors that you attract to your site make all the difference. I have three different sites that I promote Amazon.com on. One makes about about $0.01 per click from Amazon. The second makes about $0.10 per click. The third makes about $1 per click. It's all the same merchant (Amazon.com) and affiliate (me), but the difference is how targetted the traffic to the site is. From the worst to the best, it's a 100X difference.
    Is that for the same widget theme? If so, then that is quite a difference.

I've heard and read that TESTING is a very important aspect involved in being a successful Internet marketer.

Testing allows you to know which programs are giving you better results and which are simply wasting your time. I think that makes a big difference in how successful you are at the end of the day.

Test, test, and then test some more...

Regards,
    Hector

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread