The liability of runing a community
    How accountable can I be held by the laws of the land for posts on my discussion forum made by others?

Example: someone makes a post and states what they believe is fact, based upon their personal experience, and that fact is questioned or disputed. As an administrator of my forum I can't find a reason to delete the post due to the fact it is a post they genuinely made regarding their view based on their experience. However, the validity of the post is disputed by others.

Thanks

Non legal opinion: Wikipedia would have been sued to ashes years ago if that were true. However, providing false information in order to drive sales is questionable.

A webmaster has been granted a level of protection in the past from the postings of it's members. There is precedent there.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think this has been sufficiently answered. One of the only times you might need to pay attention is when there is clearly hateful and/or inciteful speech posted on your website. Even if this were the case, the chances are very slight anything could be claimed against you unless you could be clearly seen as a willing enabler. Just about everything else would be viewed as protected speech.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread