EPN members looking for useful software need to read this warning
    I'm not sure if posting this is appropriate, though I think it's always appropriate to expose crooks.

I've been using a wonderful piece of sofware for putting eBay links into WordPress posts and pages. (I know some others here are using it, too.) The software is phpBay Pro. All in all, it's one of the greatest, most useful affiliate marketing scripts I've ever seen. (I'll be happy to PM anyone who wants to buy it my affiliate link -- but I don't want to put it here. )

It seems the guy who created and sells phpBay Pro, Wade Wells, is the victim of thievery!!! Some scoundral (I won't name him, but you can find out about his crookedness by reading this Squidoo lens someone else put together.) On the phpbay.com website in the member's forum, Wade has posted the details. Someone bought a copy legitimately last year -- then proceeded to rename and repack it (even leaving in some of Wade's comments in the code) and began to resell it.

This crook is making money off Wade's work and ripping off his phpbay pro and selling the software with a few lame ebooks for FOUR TIMES what Wade is asking!!

Wade is one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting online. He works hard to keep the quality in his product and to make it ridiculously cheap. He absolutely offers the finest support online for any software product (and most MERCHANTS!) that I have ever experienced. He responds incredibly fast to support emails and really knows his stuff.

So -- go to the link and read about this scoundrel who's ripping him off. DO NOT BUY the crook's software or recommend it to anyone. If you read that Squidoo lens, you'll see the name of the stolen software and the crook's website so you can avoid the guy like the plague and warn all your fellow EPN friends about him.

Rant's all over now. Thank you.
    Generate more fake news.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

Wade is one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting online. He works hard to keep the quality in his product and to make it ridiculously cheap. He absolutely offers the finest support online for any software product (and most MERCHANTS!) that I have ever experienced. He responds incredibly fast to support emails and really knows his stuff.

I'm going to back you up 100% on that statement.

I'm wondering if there's any advice available in our new legal advice area that would help him put a stop to this guy?

I don't want to suggest a double post, but maybe mention it there and link to this one?

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, this is one of the risks with open source software. Releasing and selling open source code under various licenses does help protect you, however you must be willing to put forth the effort in

1) finding the people stealing from you
    2) proving that what they're selling was created by you and was taken in violation of the license you released it under

Best of luck.

I've read about this elsewhere and it might not be as clear cut as it seems..

Except in that other thred wade was accusing someone else of stealing his code.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread