Creating custom links
    I have a couple of questions regarding creating custom links that I hope folks can enlighten me about

I've created a service that will format reviews of products (art mainly), and I need to put affiliate links in the code. With ShareASale, it's easy because I can just replace u=, m= and b=, with the user's & merchant's information and it works. With PFX, it's not turning out to be so easy.

I can take in the user's PFX ID and plug it into the following format:

clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?pubid=PFXID&lid=

So far, so good. Then, I know to append the link ID number and the &redirect=.

clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?pubid=PFXID&lid=whatever&redirect=destination

Here are my questions. First, will any LID number I find on any of the merchant's creative work for this exercise? That is to say, are the LIDs ever tied to a particular affiliate or are they usable for any affiliate? All I want is a single, generic LID for each merchant, of course.

Second, although "/tplclick?" was used in the other thread about creating custom links, "/click?" works as well. What is the difference, and should I be using one over the other?

The merchants I'm trying to do this with both have Build Your Own Links, so both should support what I'm trying to do here.

Am I explaining/asking clearly enough?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Network Rep
    The general rule of thumb is, the link should work (go somewhere) before you append the &redirect to it.

The one thing to keep in mind is that lids for /tplclick URLs are shared and can be used by any publisher. The lid for a /click URL is owned by a specific publisher; you won't be compensated for any activity generated through another publisher's link.

The best thing to do is to retrieve a link from the interface for each advertiser (or create a BYOL specifically for this purpose so you can have reporting on how effective your links are vs. the ones provided by the advertiser) and use that as your base.

Hope that helps, let me know if I left anything out or made things more complicated.

-larry

Ah ha! That actually explains quite a lot, I think. So, if I'm thinking of this correctly, I should be able to go into each advertiser's creative and pull out any LID and plug it into my script, as long as it's a LID within a link that uses tplclick instead of click? And the links that I generate for my users should be in the format:

clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplclick?pubid=PFXID&lid=whatever&redirect=destination

because in order for the LID to be usable by everyone, it needs to be in a tplclick link... I really hope I'm not confusing things lol

Thanks for your help, Larry.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread