Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Anyone making lifestyle changes to keep up with soaring gas prices?
    We all know gas prices are skyrocketing out of control. I wouldn't be suprised to see prices hitting the $5 mark soon. It's inching up on a daily basis. Stations are raising prices in the middle of the day, some are charging an additional 50 cents for credit cards (even though their cost is about 22 cents).

I've seen news reports of some people forced to skip a meal in order to fill up their car.

I don't recall the last time I filled up. Still sticking to a $20 fuel-up and doing it more often. Lucky if I can get my SUV past a half a tank.

How is everyone else dealing with this issue?

Most people drive 1200 miles a month...

The average person gets slightly over 21 MPG (we'll assume 20)...

This means the average person buys 60 gallons of fuel a month..

So, if gas goes up $1, most people spend an extra $60 a month on gas..

If an extra $60/month causes you ANY amount of trouble, you were in deep doo-doo long before gas started going up...

Edit: My advice would be, if gas going up a few bucks causes you any problems, you should go to the FREE library, open some of the books, start reading, educate yourself, and start earning a lot more money with your new found knowledge.

ABW Ambassador
    The gas prices in Europe and other parts of the world are far higher than in America.

I do find it hard to believe that people will skip meals so they can fill up the gas tank.

We used to drive a Lincoln Navigator. We got 11 mpg. That was before these huge gas price increases though.

People just have to adapt to the changes in the cost of living

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Edit: My advice would be, if gas going up a few bucks causes you any problems, you should go to the FREE library, open some of the books, start reading, educate yourself, and start earning a lot more money with your new found knowledge.

Surely you don't actually believe that this is realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by cjshoppingnetwork
    Surely you don't actually believe that this is realistic?
    If you're not a success in America, then you're the type of person that will NEVER be successful, no matter what country/era/society you live in.

While $60 may not be a big deal to most, it is only the tip of the iceberg. For instance, the cost of shipping goods has gone up greatly and is, of course, passed on to the consumer. The cost of heating your home has likely increased, and with wonderful things (not) like bio-fuels becoming a reality, the cost of foods will increase even further.

If you get enough of those $60's stacked up, it becomes a real concern for those who do not have a large disposable income.

....and not everyone measures success by the thickness of their wallet.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

The average person gets slightly over 21 MPG (we'll assume 20)...
    I'd like to know where you got this statistic. Please provide a source.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjshoppingnetwork
    The gas prices in Europe and other parts of the world are far higher than in America.

I do find it hard to believe that people will skip meals so they can fill up the gas tank.
    People in Europe likely live differently than America. For example they probably don't rely on gas as much as we do. They probably live closer to their jobs and (most often) don't opt to have that big house 30 miles away in the suburbs. In fact, I recently read that it's become the "American thing" to opt for the further commute for the bigger house.

So just stating facts doesn't always give the whole picture unless you state all of them.

I'll try to find the article.

Bought one of these:

Actually, we got it more for the ability to park in our neighborhood (when we get home in the evening) than for the mileage. But the 36 MPG for mixed city/highway driving certainly doesn't hurt.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    People in Europe likely live differently than America. For example they probably don't rely on gas as much as we do. They probably live closer to their jobs and (most often) don't opt to have that big house 30 miles away in the suburbs. In fact, I recently read that it's become the "American thing" to opt for the further commute for the bigger house.

So just stating facts doesn't always give the whole picture unless you state all of them.

I'll try to find the article.

I am from Europe. People do live differently over there. The vehicles tend to be smaller. The people do travel less, especially in England (where I am from)

Americans do tend to be less concerned about natural resources. The rising cost of gas may be an eye opener for a lot of people in America.

I drive a car but am an avid snowboarder and travel all over new england and used to drive all over the country.... I've been looking at suvs, 4runners and xterras for my mountain trips but the gas prices give me 2nd thoughts. Subaru's and vws are a great option but I'm not really into their style

I found this amusing: Paul McCartney was showing his concern for the envoirnment and recently bought a hybrid, and had it flow over on a jet.
    I believe CNN quoted that the for the cost of the jet fuel, McCartney could've driven his car around the world 3 (or 6) times.

It was either the Daily Show or Colbert last night... one of them reported that story about Sir Paul, and said it would have had a 100x smaller carbon footprint if the car had been shipped by sea. Brilliant
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We're looking at a major lifestyle change.. in fact a move across the country. Utah -> Central NY. Right now we live 10 miles outside of town at the base of a National Forest. Although beautiful and awe inspiring, we have to drive for every thing.

We're looking at moving to the Ithaca area, close enough to things were we can walk or bike most all the time. There are actually a lot of reasons to make the move but the price of fuel, and the fact we're sick of driving every place, is a major one.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    I found this amusing: Paul McCartney was showing his concern for the envoirnment and recently bought a hybrid, and had it flow over on a jet.
    I believe CNN quoted that the for the cost of the jet fuel, McCartney could've driven his car around the world 3 (or 6) times.
    Not exactly accurate; The vehicle was a freebee from Toyota and they had it flown to him. Story
    He remains a strong environmentalist and was quite upset by these events.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Like McCartney NEEDED this gift.

Like McCartney NEEDED this gift.
    I think the idea was publicity for Toyota and the new Lexus hybrid, which all backfired on them. Had it been done right, publicity of the gift of the vehicle would have overall been cheaper than paid advertising and probably would have reached a wider audience. As it worked out, they offended that audience.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Publicity? How about giving the car away to a poor family or people that have to struggle to come up with those extra dollars per month to put gas in their car?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Bought one of these:
    Actually, we got it more for the ability to park in our neighborhood (when we get home in the evening) than for the mileage. But the 36 MPG for mixed city/highway driving certainly doesn't hurt.
    Pretty cool! I think one of these for the type of driving we do would be great. It concerns me that you can just barely see the top of it over the back of that truck though. You need one of those orange flags that stick up about six feet. And we'd need a tailer to bring home the groceries!

We won't be making any lifestyle changes except to combine trips a little more efficiently. Our driving is primarily to Starbucks, Church, the kid's houses, and for provisions. I suppose we could bike to Starbucks but there's a big hill... huff puff huff puff

X

Publicity? How about giving the car away to a poor family or people that have to struggle to come up with those extra dollars per month to put gas in their car?
    Probably would not be as newsworthy (in Toyota's ad peoples' minds) as giving it to Sir Paul.

In all fairness, Toyota donates a considerable amount to charitable causes:

In 2006, Toyota donated nearly $40 million to U.S. charities, causes and concerns through corporate contributions and the Toyota USA Foundation. Since 1991, Toyota has donated more than $340 million dollars to philanthropic programs.
    This is just in the US. Source

If you're not a success in America, then you're the type of person that will NEVER be successful, no matter what country/era/society you live in.
    Code Monkey, what is your definition of success?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    ...........It concerns me that you can just barely see the top of it over the back of that truck though. You need one of those orange flags that stick up about six feet. And we'd need a tailer to bring home the groceries!............
    Actually that photo is a bit misleading. The seats in the Smart Car are as high, if not a bit higher than in a typical (Corolla, Malibu, Jetta, etc.) sedan. It is easy to find in a parking lot full of cars because the Smart actually is a couple inches higher than most of the "other" cars. (My SLK is several inches lower and is easy to "lose" in a parking lot.)

And, there is space behind the seats for a half dozen grocery bags and a case of beer, ah...er...soda, Jones Soda, even. So far we like it - six weeks and just starting on the fourth tank of gas (8 1/2 gallon tank). With nearly a thousand miles that's not too shabby. Great for shopping trips, and great for going out in the evening - 'cause we can (now) always find a parking space near our house.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Actually, I did something quite opposite of most people these days, I bought a full size pickup truck (Dogde Ram double cab). It's actually multi-purpose as we haul our camper with it and can get around in the winter with the four wheel drive. May sound like an expensive thing to do right now, but the truck gets 50% better gas mileage than our old conversion van.

However, other side of the coin I'm pulling my old vintage VW's out of mothballs from the winter. They all get around 20 mpg in the city (yeah, and they are 30-40 years old), cost $50 a year at the DMV and about $50 a month to insure. Plus, most of all, they are fun to drive.

One thing I am seriously considering is converting one of these old VW's to electricity. I can buy a kit for under $3,000, buy batteries for $1400 and it costs pennies to drive. Because we installed a heat pump in our house we get special electrical rates so the savings is even better. These old VW's just happend to be the perfect car for conversions I am discovering.

Lastly, a member of our local VW club has converted his Jetta diesel to a bio diesel conversion and calculates it costs him $1 a gallon. This does not take into account his time to make the biodeisel, but still, that's quite a savings.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    OMG Gary-Avantlink do you live outside Fishlake National Forest?

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Fishlake is the most beautiful place I've ever been. Upstate NY isn't quite as majestic but it is very beautiful in its own right.

Back on track -- lifestyle changes. Not really. We heat our house in part with passive solar energy and a wood stove. My commute is non-existent and hubby's is only about 10 miles each way. We don't go joy riding. My big splurge is to drive to Boston to visit family every couple of months. We'll probably try harder not to use the a/c in the house so much this summer. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and we're in the woods so the trees help keep us cool.

Oh, and we're growing some of our own veggies this year. I'm very alarmed at the price of food.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Rhea, no it's the Uinta National Forest. I'm from the Finger Lakes of NY though, and I do miss that area.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast