Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    *NEW* "New York Affiliate Revenue" Report in Merchant Interface
    Hey all, I know there has been lots of talk about the new law going into effect in NY concerning affiliates, sales tax, and such...

ShareASale has always believed that affiliates deserve a right to privacy in this industry - as well as a balanced position on transparency that allows merchants to know the things that they need to know without the things that they don't. It has, at times, been a hazy line - but along the lines of contact information, we have never felt that merchants had a right to this information unless the affiliate consented to giving out private contact information such as phone numbers, addresses, etc...

Regarding this law, it is important for us to provide the answer to the question that is at the crux of the law. As a merchant, the question is ... "In the past year (or other time frame) what was my total gross sales generated from affiliates residing in the state of NY."

As such, our first response to this will be to provide this report which will allow merchants to know where they stand regarding the law.

Our plan at this time, is to treat any case where a merchant wishes to terminate NY affiliates with great care and caution. If a merchant requests to do this, there is little we can do to stop them - but ShareASale will be performing the task so that merchants aren't accessing information which traditionally is considered private within the network.

There is a chance that this plan will not work. My hope is that we can warn merchants that terminating NY is a bad plan - and one that needs rethinking. If our plan doesn't work - and we end up needing to provide more information to merchants, we may end up having to do so... I say this as a heads up to affiliates because while we don't like to give out info, we also don't want to put merchants in a place that makes it difficult to adhere to the laws of their state or others.

We can't offer legal advice to to merchants and/or affiliates regarding these laws. But I can offer my extreme dissatisfaction with the State of NY for their short term thinking and complete disregard for their citizens. I am personally confident that this will all be reversed and I am hopefull that for those affiliates in NY - it comes sooner rather than later.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thank you, Brian.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Online Marketing Consultant
    Brian,

Thank you for being the first network out of the gate and letting us know how networks may or may not react to this new law.

As always, you are first on the scene and to go public which is why so many of us respect you, your company and why you have earned our trust and gratitude.

Thank you.

Adam
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

By the way... I find this part to be extra interesting.

From the law itself....

"In addition, an agreement to place an advertisement does not give rise to the presumption
    described above. For this purpose, placing an advertisement does not include the placement of a
    link on a Web site that, directly or indirectly, links to the Web site of a seller, where the
    consideration for placing the link on the Web site is based on the volume of completed sales
    generated by the link."

Essentially... that means that "affiliate marketers" are affected by this law due to the way that we measure performance. "Ad networks" are not because they pay their folks a different way.

Makes me wonder if we can use the EPC as a model - and modify payments so that we are using a CPM/EPC/Hybrid thing to make it an "Ad" model, and not a "performance" model.

If it were an "Ad network" that were paid via traditional CPM rates for example... we all would be totally unaffected as writted right there in the law.

My guess is that this is playing a key part in the constitutional counter-argument from Amazon as the "singling out" is written right there in black and white.

They'll need more pens in NY in order to make exceptions for every other type of vendor in the world.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Brian, thank you for replying so quickly to this issue. As a NY affiliate I appreciate your stand on this but also understand that you may have to give information to merchants.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Extra interesting indeed!!!! That clause basically says... if it's an ad, no worry - BUT you can't call it an ad if its rewards are based on sales volume...

Affs are paid on volume, so they've worded this to make our activity taxable...

Google's PPA ads also do EXACTLY that.

They're trying to say the CPM ads aren't like having a sales person there representing you, but CPA ads and PPA ads (and therefore affiliate marketing partners) are...

The activity that the website owner / advertiser conducts, in the state of NY, is not materially different in either of these two cases, CPM or PPA/CPA.

In fact, with measurements of ROI as fine as we have online, all online ads are also conducted similarly by the person at the keyboard running them - knowing whether they pay (or are paid) on either a CPM or CPA basis - that the performance aspect of our industry means EVERYTHING is based on sales volume. And that fact, the we are performance based, does not in itself make us resident contracted nexus representatives.

Ridiculous!

I hope the court tosses this out quickly and that they ALSO penalize NY for impacting commerce by passing frivilous and capricious tax laws.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Wow!

An OPM asked me yesterday how to find out which affiliates in SAS are in NY, and I was wondering what you were gonna do - since SAS's privacy policy is so strong.

What a great solution! A great work-around.

Once again, I'm in awe of the Chicago Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    By the way... I find this part to be extra interesting.

From the law itself....

Essentially... that means that "affiliate marketers" are affected by this law due to the way that we measure performance. "Ad networks" are not because they pay their folks a different way.

Makes me wonder if we can use the EPC as a model - and modify payments so that we are using a CPM/EPC/Hybrid thing to make it an "Ad" model, and not a "performance" model.

If it were an "Ad network" that were paid via traditional CPM rates for example... we all would be totally unaffected as writted right there in the law.

My guess is that this is playing a key part in the constitutional counter-argument from Amazon as the "singling out" is written right there in black and white.

They'll need more pens in NY in order to make exceptions for every other type of vendor in the world.
    I've been thinking about that too and wondered, if it came to it, that if we paid NY affiliates based on a CPM basis if that would exempt having to charge sales tax. The trick would be how to accurately figure out just what that CPM would be. Perhaps based on past performance? So if a particular affiliate earned $100 on average for 1,000 clicks, if we changed their compensation from a % on sales to $100 per 1,000 clicks, could we avoid the NY tax law? Of course, this would mean paying attention to each affiliate's earnings and adjust accordingly.

Thanks Brian for stepping up and addressing this.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

http and a telephoto
    I was actually coming online to post a question about this issue. Since the merchants that are part of networks don't have location information, and that information is protected by privacy policies of the networks, would that make merchants that are part of networks unable to comply, or make them in some way exempt? And are the networks going to end up with nexus in NYS as well because the affiliates that are part of the networks are located in NYS?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

And are the networks going to end up with nexus in NYS as well because the affiliates that are part of the networks are located in NYS?
    The networks don't sell anything taxable, technically. Although I suppose an argument could be made that I work more for SAS than say, 4checks, based on the way the contracts are set up.

I'm still very interested to see the other networks, especially Linkshare, respond to this. And I'm glad SAS went first.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I was actually coming online to post a question about this issue. Since the merchants that are part of networks don't have location information, and that information is protected by privacy policies of the networks, would that make merchants that are part of networks unable to comply, or make them in some way exempt?
    Sure that will work for about two minutes, if a network is served with a subpoena to produce N&A of their NY affiliates and declines they will be sharing a cell with Buba.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I hope the court tosses this out quickly and that they ALSO penalize NY for impacting commerce by passing frivolous and capricious tax laws.
    I don't think a NY Court will do that to the NY State Tax Commission.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager
    Thanks Brian for being pro active concerning your position with this - as usual we appreciate your willingness to be a leader in taking on these critical issues and appreciate your words.. Thanks!

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Interesting.

Is the affiliiate from New York if they are physically in New York, registered in New York or have their servers based in New York.

If you input code for a company headquartered in Dallas but live in New York is the company also liable for sales tax?

I believe there are many questions and definitions that need to be answered.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

As a Merchant on ShareASale - there is now a report under the heading of "New York Affiliate Revenue" which will provide you with the data that you need to make decisions.

Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Outsourced Program Manager RogerSnow's Avatar
    Brian,

This is a great tool. Thank you. This again shows how you and SAS work for both the merchant and affiliate partners. We appreciate your quick work and effort to get something like this setup. It's interesting to see the totals that do come from NY affiliate sites.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Bravo Brian - Seriously Bravo!!!!

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    I thought about it as well. How to deal with this without disclosing private affiliate information and still getting some sort of answer for the merchants. This solution that SAS came up with is extremely smart, fair, and helpful. We appreciate all the time and thought put into this. Thanks!
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Thank you, Brian.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Brilliant handling of a tricky situation Brian!
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

As an affiliate (NY) I appreciate Brian getting this info to the merchants so quickly but I gotta say I would be very interested in that number myself. Hopefully it's large enough for the merchants to look at this issue from all angles. Again I have to thank Brian for being so proactive on this issue.

Awesome, thank you!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Brian, for default timeframes, you might want to look at the way the NY law in worded. It's based on the previous four quarters, and their quarters aren't on a calendar basis.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

Yes the way I read it was that it was based off of NY financial quarters... which end in February, May, August, and November. So... the previous four completed quarters as I see it (obviously I could be wrong in my interpretation of the law) were from 3/1/2007 to 2/29/2008 ... Do you read differently?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    That's correct but the tax isn't payable until the 20th of the following month.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Google's PPA ads also do EXACTLY that.
    Seriously, Google AdWord's PPA program means they're going to have to follow SAS's lead and provide info to adwords advertisers concerning which ones are in NY as well... what a mess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast