Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Video Editing Software For Windows
    My brother wants a software program for Windows that similar to iMovie. I am trying to remember what I used to use but I am drawing a blank. I haven't touched video in over a year so I'm not sure what to suggest.

ABW Ambassador
    Sony Vegas (Movie Studio)? I hear that one a lot from those who do a lot of video. I know Windows comes with Movie Maker, which does pretty basic stuff from what I've heard. Know there are some other good ones.

I have used Windows Movie Maker. It is very basic easy to use and more for the average person who just wants to make simple movies.

I also have Nero, but that is more for professionals. I have it on my computer but not have time to play around with all the bells and whistles.

You could google for Moyea software, they put out a lot of video editing and formatting programs that are quite reasonable.

Why don't you use Windows Movie Maker, it's free and works perfectly. If he has VIsta it should be pre-installed if he doesn't use the link below to show him.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Now I have to think of how to capitalize on his movie making skills. Ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    My brother wants a software program for Windows that similar to iMovie. I am trying to remember what I used to use but I am drawing a blank. I haven't touched video in over a year so I'm not sure what to suggest.
    As HardwareGeek suggested, Windows Movie Maker generally comes bundled with Windows. But if he's serious about making movies, he should look at Pinnacle.

Studio 12 isn't that great IMO. I am using it now and wasn't impressed

Interesting thread. Thanks
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    List of most everything out there:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iting_software

Comparison of the most popular (and mid range popularity) movie editing software tools:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...iting_software

The charts there, should allow your brother to find software that has nearly the same capabilities as iMovie.

They have a chart there that groups them by level and relative price, will let you quickly grab the names of several tools that fit you budget and level of experience:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...#Target_market

Lastly, Blu-Ray recently beat out HD DVD as the HD format going forward for DVD distribution... if you plan to burn DVD's in todays HD world, since it's rapidly hurtling towards Blu Ray (though just beginning to do so), consider whether the software is Blu Ray HiDef compatible before you buy.

Good advice everyone. I especially agree that its a good idea to consider the intended output when choosing a video editing package. And budget may be a consideration too. Some of the best deals are bundles, which include software (say pinnacle) as well as a decent pinnacle firewire card. That could one way to go if money is an issue.

Windows Movie maker would be ok for a beginner, I think. I personally find it annoying and too limiting, but you can get a basic job done quickly with it.

I was trained in film and television production at Uni, and later taught it for many years full time at a major film school.

The mac users prefer Final cut pro. Its a fine product, and very simple to understand. I am a PC nerd & builder from way back and prefer PC's over Mac. But I draw a line when it comes to serious video editing, where I always recommend Mac over PC's (for stability and general compatibility reasons)

PC users tend to favour adobe premier pro, Avid, and Sony Vegas. Avid is the product most commonly used in the Broadcast Industry, but its not a lot of fun to use or intuitive. Its worth using only if you intend to work for a post production house or TV studio.

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro editing software packages are equally fine products. I actually prefer an older version of Adobe premiere, called v6.5, over Premiere pro. Premiere pro was trying too hard to be like Avid. Its now like using a beta release of AVid- its a tad buggy and way more complex than it needs to be.

SONY's video editing product is a pleasure to use, and its strength is sound editing. Its relatively new compared to Adobe premiere and AVid, but very nice.

By way of conclusion, if I was serious about video editing I'd buy a nice Mac or mac laptop with a quad core processor, and final cut pro. I would keep the internet off that computer, and optomise the hard drives for video production and set up scratch disks for video only.

Sony's video editing software is very powerful with a ton of features. Surprisingly, the learning curve is not too bad either for more than basic use.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Why don't you use Windows Movie Maker, it's free and works perfectly. If he has VIsta it should be pre-installed if he doesn't use the link below to show him.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

You are The Dude, thank you for the link, just looking for that.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I've put together a couple of DVDs of the kids to give to family with Intervideo WinDVD Creator. I wasn't very impressed, although the end result turned out fine. It was buggy and fairly limited. I tried a few others (can't remember their names) that were even worse.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Another vote here for Sony Vegas Pro. I've heard Adobe Premiere is actually easier to use and a little better. However, Adobe doesn't support AVCHD, and since I just bought the new Canon HF100 SDHC-based digital camcorder, I didn't really have an option.

If Premiere comes out with a patch for AVHCD, I might consider switching back, especially if I can find a way to monotize my video that I'm promoting on my site.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread