ABW Ambassador
    I've been toying around with the idea that leader shared regarding not having prices listed with the products.

I'm not totally converted yet and I really can't say at this time it's better or worse but I tried something different on two pages and it's working unbelieveably! I thought I would be nice and share it with you so you can even further improve your sales.

The tip.

Dont put the price and add a by/buy line with a link to the product with text that says......

This Product might be on sale - click here to find out!

LOL

Obviously I'm just kidding, maybe one of you other brave souls will give it a shot. I'll bet it would work although a little on the scam side as far as I'm concerned.

I sure couldn't help but laughing at the idea though.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

As a consumer, I would definitely click on it. Then automatic reaction would be to click a bunch of links. When I found out none of them were on sale I would be ticked off.

But that’s JMO

Almost forgot to add:

I tried Leaders suggestion and have seen no changes at all.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'll bet it would work although a little on the scam side as far as I'm concerned. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you were getting paid per click, it'd be a great idea! But I don't think it'd bring any more *sales* than ever--perhaps even less, because then people who HAD been willing to pay full price will be all heated up for a deal.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Leaders advice about dropping prices has resulted in my sales improving by a factor of 2.7 over time. I definitely think that a very clear call to action or not necesarily a call to action but something that looks like a natural progression of the listing is needed as well. I use a 'More Information' Gif. The reason I use a gif is that the last thing I want are the words MORE INFORMATION to be the most highly used words within text links on my site. I think this method should be used to eliminate or water down "Click Here" or whatever other call to action you use.

What I do is feed the product name into the alt tag for the more info button like this: For more information about these [Brand] [Color] [Style] [Product]'s click now.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

Bunch of good ideas here..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As a consumer, I would definitely click on it. Then automatic reaction would be to click a bunch of links. When I found out none of them were on sale I would be ticked off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Happypoons Idea would work perfectly and be scam free in the following scenario:

The CJ feed includes a sale price column so suck that into your database and name it ItemSale or whatever you like. Then build a page for a particular brand or whatever your categorisation for that page is and query all related items that are on sale by adding the following to your query "AND ItemSale > 0"

Follow through with No prices, This Item may be on sale - click to find out!

What do you know? All items listed are on sale.

Just a thought.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As a consumer, I would definitely click on it. Then automatic reaction would be to click a bunch of links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Why would they click a bunch of links? With the exception of gifts for someone else, aren't most people looking for a specific item when they shop on the web?

Jane,

I think I would click more links, only because the first one I clicked showed no sales.

Curiosity would get the best of me and it would turn into a scratch lotto ticket. Wonder which one has the sale!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Those enduring my slow loading pages do so because I do take time to actually pick out and show case the best buys at a variety of merchants. Thats why many of my shoppers proven by my server logs bookmark the pages. Lot's of extra work as my choices always seem to sell out quick....kinda puts me in with the couponers who do update their content with fresh offers verses those who just spamm the SE's with phoney or expired deals.

I treat product links like windows displays in a brick-n-mortar storefront or an expensive Ad in the newspaper. If a consumer is in front of your store looking thru the window you can entice by a general "ON-SALE" sign. If he's reading the newpaper Ad you'd better put in the darn price as the enticement to get in his car and travel.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Happypoons Idea would work perfectly and be scam free in the following scenario:

The CJ feed includes a sale price column so suck that into your database and name it ItemSale or whatever you like. Then build a page for a particular brand or whatever your categorisation for that page is and query all related items that are on sale by adding the following to your query "AND ItemSale > 0"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DPG - In that scenareo you just say -
    "Click here for more info, - It's on sale!".

Of course, the tradeoff of using this is that you are back once again at having to update your processes with data from new datafeeds.

My intention is to continue to post prices unless a feed becomes so messed up and is going thru so many changes that they are a nightmare to try and update. But for feeds that stay consistent, I don't mind keeping them updated at all and view it at as a responsibility.

A short term and long term objective for us is to make our site so that "customers will keep coming back". I sure hope all the rest of you take your prices off because I'll win by being upfront and providing the info the customer wants without making them jump through hoops.

No prices may get you a cookie short term but I doubt it does very much for getting a bookmark or a returning customer.

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Of course, the tradeoff of using this is that you are back once again at having to update your processes with data from new datafeeds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My data is always up to date and price information is alway current. This is done by querying a Client FTP push directory for existance of a feed file and if it exists, running an import script via cronjob daily. I still choose not to list prices.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> unless a feed becomes so messed up<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I find with the CJ feed at least, that all feed error repairs can be automated in your import script. The most common ones are caused by listing additions for links to directories or brands pages and result in up to 20 leading listings (If you are ordering alphabetically)with no prices and often no images. You can kill all these off by pulling the Price and Sale Price information and adding "And (ItemPrice > 0 or ItemSale > 0)" to your queries or DELETE all from your database WHERE (ItemPrice < 0.01 or ItemSale < 0.01). Another one is double listings caused by companies that offer Products in multiple currency. ["ItemCurrency = '%USD%'").

The percentage of return customers while not insubstantial is nothing compared to traffic from SEs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> making them jump through hoops <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>could read "making them click on links"

I'll put my prices back up the minute my sales drop below the conversion I was getting before I removed them which I doubt will happen. As an example.. it is 7AM over here and my CJ commissions are sitting just above 200 for the day the sales day runs till 7PM here (12PM there). I would never achievce these levels with my prices in place.

All the best, DPG

p.s. Thank you Leader.

[This message was edited by DPG on August 28, 2003 at 03:18 PM.]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread