ABW Ambassador
    If i have a white background that i'm going to put a logo on, does it matter if the logo is a white or transparent GIF? Does it matter for the search engines? Also what do you do with a png. file, whats that for? Thanks

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on August 27, 2003 at 10:05 PM.]

I'm not certain about this trust but I seem to remember reading somewhere that some browsers cannot view .png images.

Maybe someone else here knows more about it?.

I got my t-shirt
    Did I win the 200,000 post?
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Transparent is your safest bet in case you ever want to change the color of your background or you want to use the logo somewhere else in the future. The png file is a type of graphic file recognized by different graphic software programs which you can edit and make changes to your logo. After you are done you need to save it as a gif for the web. Makes no difference to the SE's at all..except what you may put in your alt tag.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

PNG is a format that came about a few years back when compuserve wanted to charge everyone royalties for using the .gif imaging.
    It's a lossless format similar to .gif and unlike .jpg which renders an "approximate" image of the original.
    The upside to .png is that it has the capability of varying opacity so you can actually place it over another image with an opaque effect.
    The downside is as Gordon says it is not fully standardized in some older browsers. Hopefully that will change.

Make the gif white, then set white to be the transparent color

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    If you want to make the smallest gif files known to man and not achievable by any compression software out there (67% smaller than the leading compression software) create a 1x2 pattern file with one pixel being your background colour and the other being transparent. Intensify your image contrast to allow for the change and then apply the pattern to the image. What this does is it runs your background colour horizontally through the image on every 2nd row. Gif compression is calculated horizontally rather than vertically and this change also reduces the number of colours required to generate the image. You can play with opacity to achieve the required effect and then save. After you have practiced this a few times you can create an action (Photoshop) and link it to a function key so that you can achieve the entire reduction with one key press. The result is a HUGE reduction in image size and the effect looks funky as hell too. AFAIK there is no way on earth to get higher reductions without entering the world of fractals.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will do a walkthrough in a related thread.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread