CJ and Spam
    I have a separate email address for every Affiliate Network and every Inhouse Program, so I can keep track of SPAM. So far it worked well and don't get any SPAM anymore at those addresses except for the one I dedicated to CJ. And even when I delete the email address for CJ and create a new one, the SPAM starts again 3 days later at the new email address I just set for them. It always the annoying Nigerian Scam SPAM, anyone else notice Nigerian SPAM from the address they give CJ?

ABW Ambassador
    Never.

I don't think I've received any, either, at that email addy, and it's my actual ISP.
    but -- all my Web site email addresses attract them.

Nope, never gotten any mail but that from CJ in my dedicated CJ mailbox.

ABW Ambassador
    anyone else notice Nigerian SPAM from the address they give CJ?
    Who is the "they" you are referring to? Who gives CJ your email address besides you?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes I have been suddenly getting a load of spam for my CJ email address for these scams in the last week or two. Obviously there is a merchant manager who is spamming us or they have a leak and their address book has been taken over by spammers.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Yes I have been suddenly getting a load of spam for my CJ email address for these scams in the last week or two. Obviously there is a merchant manager who is spamming us or they have a leak and their address book has been taken over by spammers.
    Yeah I wish there was a way to figure out which merchant it was. I keep changing the email address, and the new address gets SPAM soon after

maybe it's nigerianspamschemes.com
    I hear they produce big for CJ. They are however, located in India.

ABW Ambassador
    That is a CLASSIC, guinness618. I got a big kick out of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy
    Yeah I wish there was a way to figure out which merchant it was. I keep changing the email address, and the new address gets SPAM soon after
    There's no way for a merchant to get a bulk list of email addresses of its affiliates. Most likely this is a dictionary attack on your domain name, perhaps using email address verification techniques to verify live email addresses with your server.

I highly doubt a merchant is manually clicking through all merchant profiles, copying email addresses, and then giving it to Nigerian scammers...

Like glinted said it may be a merchant with a leak in the address book, I doubt this is dictonary attack because the emails I created for my CJ logins are a mix of numbers and letters in no standard format. Also dictonary attack prevention is enabled on my server.
    Last edited by shimmy; May 20th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    How would a merchant have access to your changed email address for CJ?

I have no idea, that is why I'm asking.

If I had to guess 1 way maybe they send a newsletter with a tracking pixel that collects the email address of the people who opened it. (I'm not sure if that is possible)

The reason I don't think it's not on mine end is:
    1. I'm not the only one
    2. Dictonary attack prevention is enabled on my server.
    3. The email addresses are not words that can be guessed, they are a mix of numbers and letters in no standard format.
    4. I have a separate email address for every Affiliate Network and every Inhouse Program and no others have this problem
    5. There where times when I created a new email address for CJ, and started receiving spam in 3 days when I did not even send 1 email from that address.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread