SAS, Tracking Cookies, and Norton
    Many new computers have Norton Internet Security and/or Norton System Works pre-installed, at least on a trial basis.

Periodically (mine does it once per week), Norton will scan a computer and when the results are displayed, will indicate tracking cookies as a "problem" which can be easily "fixed".

Question: If a user hits the fix button, does that remove the kind of cookies that SAS uses, to track the visitors/sales for those merchants that the affiliates are promoting?

It probably removes all the cookies - SAS and all of the other cookies.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

That's my fear -- if people get into the habit of clearing their cookies on a weekly basis, then we affiliates won't get the 30 day, 60 day, or 90 day (etc) sales credit if one of our visitors returns to a merchant. At most, we'll get 7 days, which means we'd better hope we make the sale the first time through.

ABW Ambassador
    Well maybe not SAS cookies, you'd have to check. There was thread somewhere, I can't figure out the keywords to find it where it listed some different programs like Norton and the cookies they removed. It seemed more of those applications hit the bigger networks more because some of their past/current behavior.

My understanding is that for standard online retailers, the sale usually occurs pretty quickly. In my experience in OPMing or AMing retail type products, over 90% of the sales occurred within the first 3 days.

That said, cookie washing is a concern, especially for higher ticket items, or for those affiliates that endeavor to sell more complicated products. And, for some affiliates, losing 10% of their sales is a significant portion of revenue, dollars wise.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Found it:

http://www.vinnylingham.com/specialr...kiedetections/

So SAS looks good. CJ and Linkshare look bad. Performics actually did well.

So SAS looks good.
    Thanks for that resource -- I hope the info is up to date, as it's very good news to all of us using SAS.

One of the main concerns with the way Norton works is that the system scan is automatic even if the computer owner never set any schedule. So if it's happening once a week on millions of machines and, as I said, people are telling it to remove the tracking cookies, then common sense tells us it would eat into our incomes. But if in fact SAS cookies are excluded, then it's one less thing for us to worry about, and one more reason to promote our SAS merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    My understanding is that when Symantec (Norton's parent company) joined CJ last fall, they stopped pegging CJ links as spyware. What friggin hypocrits!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The last scan I did with Norton 08 found cookies, but none were associated with affiliate links. And I have been testing sites via my links lately, so there were a bunch of ebay, CJ, and SAS links.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager
    Some client will clear this cash, cookie when they close the browser.
    It is very comment! BTW, more and more anti-spy ware will automatically clear the cookie for you. Last year , the #1 donwload soft in China is 360safe, which is internet safe soft ware. At least 40 m people use it and make the cookie clear.

The client will alos be the big point on the tracking issue. Lots of merchant use the payment gate way host by 3rd party, which will required that the client redirect to its site to complete the payment.
    The net work will not be able to track the order if the client does not reach the "Thank You " Page! There is lots of reason for that : low internet connection, broser crash.......
    My email are ofter inundated with the rebate site`s enquiries for the missing commission!

I also do some research on shareasale and performics.
    Both of them have a good tracking rate than Google analytics , GA only report 60% of the registration rescult and 10% sale ! Performics does have a higher tracking accuracy up to 90%!

you will be not surprise with the rescult when you have some experience with doubleclick DFA or DART solution. The tracking will be the same methology.

The tracking methology have not renovated since 2003, but the anti-spy ware are updateing every day!
    Last edited by big0707; May 19th, 2008 at 11:15 PM.

Always clear my private data when I close Firefox
    Put a check by that in your Firefox options and you basically have a cookies almost reduced to the session. Hopefully most users don't do that.

I have tested quite a few AV/Firewall utilities in the last year and they all thump their chests like a gorilla and brag about the cookies they have killed. I'm using Trend right now and the stupid thing has no way of white listing cookies that I need.

All just add to the paranoia over cookies in the users mind and make them turn more toward the vigilante cookie busting utilities.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Put a check by that in your Firefox options and you basically have a cookies almost reduced to the session. Hopefully most users don't do that.

I have tested quite a few AV/Firewall utilities in the last year and they all thump their chests like a gorilla and brag about the cookies they have killed. I'm using Trend right now and the stupid thing has no way of white listing cookies that I need.

All just add to the paranoia over cookies in the users mind and make them turn more toward the vigilante cookie busting utilities.
    I have unchecked the cookies and saved passwords box in FF, simply because the cookies are used for a lot of things besides Aff Mktg.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I have Never been able to find where to find Pages Clicked! Have assumed there isn't any way. Would you please tell me just how to find it? I'm lost in SAS's interface so have always tried to stay away from SAS aff programs. If there's some way to get the info the other networks give you about activity other than actual Sales, would someone Please tell me?

Thanks!

KariBon,

To the best of my knowledge there is only one way to get that info on demand, and that is by setting up a "Referer Trace". At the top of your SAS control panel, look for:

Tools > Setup Referer Trace

Here's a summary of what it says:

"This report will show you each individual click that you receive over a 24 hour period, including which page the click came from as long as the browser provides that information...
    ...Each trace that you choose to run will deduct $1 from your affiliate account and you are limited to 5 trace requests per month period."

Also, you can see where the most recent click came from for each of your SAS merchants by looking under Reports/Stats, then clicking "Today's Stats".

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey guys!
    Just wanted to also mention that you could append the afftrack= parameter at the end of any of your links, and include any alphanumeric variable after the = sign.
    That variable will pull through into your transaction reports, so you can determine which campaign drove what sale.
    Hope that helps!

The actual link clicked including the page is in your Today's Stats report. Unfortunately, with multiple clicks, only the last one shows. If you check it costantly through the day you have a pretty good idea of which pages generate more clicks.

Thank you all for the answers - I kept expecting the impression-click kind of reporting that CJ and LS give you, even when there are no sales.

http and a telephoto
    Shareasale doesn't have impression tracking.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

My AVG anti-virus/anti-adware software (free version) does find both cookies and true adware; it puts them in separate lists - benign cookies and 'really bad' adware; you need to work at it to 'remove' the cookies (left click select, right click and select delete) while adware is nailed automatically

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread