Greetings,

Just wondering, for a while now..
    Lets say, I have a site, with 1000 uniques a day. Its a affiliate site, lets say uh, Amazon.

How many of those 1000 are other webmasters, checking out rankings and stuf?
    Some people are reffered by very specific search terms. A bit too specific for the average Joe, I think.
    The last time I checked there where 900.000 affiliates, so you could have easily 10.000 visitors a day and they all be fellow affills/competitors.

Please tell me I'm wrong?

I'm doing it

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Online 7 days a week for 5 years as an affiliate and maybe visited 20 affiliate sites during that time frame. No your visitors are not affiliates.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Sure I put in my search term and then click and see who else is selling the same product. You gotta know what the competition is doing.

ABW Ambassador
    I see this happening occasionally but there are more than enough sales where I know they aren't all webmasters.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

Retired Member
    Jane said "You gotta know what the competition is doing."

Just so long as the affiliates don't click on other affiliates pay-per-click ads just to check out the competition.

Not that anyone here would do that.

Retired Member

Hello ;-)

I think it depends on the industry as well, people working highly competative areas will see more of this happening.

Heck, I have seen refferals from:

www2.google.com

This was no doubt anohter webmaster checking out my site.

This leads to another point .... when does checking out cross the line. I worked with a guy and helped him develope sales for a diet pill program. Turns out he took my domain name and add .org

Even took my text, and keywords not to mention my template ;-(

Turns out he is not even under me simply because of an error. This guy says he feels "wrong" about making the situation right and that his volume in a poster deal were in will make up for it!

Sad but true.

Brian

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find

I would say that you are probably getting an occasional peek from the competition but it is probably a nominal amount of people compared to your overall traffic. I think, as Brian mentioned, more competitive markets will create more competitive people. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com

"All of your visitors are Belong to us"

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    "All of your visitors are Belong to us"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I wonder the same thing about Overture search frequency listings. We all tear around in a lathered up frenzy trying to get up a new page for a new decently searched keyphrase as reported by Overture search query tool when the query count is probably just all of us searching for the keywords

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

Oh, I dont lose any sleep over it
    (I never sleep )

I was just wondering about it.

I'm doing it

according to these replies, its about 1 a 2 in 10 visitors

I'm doing it

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. It's a small percentage. I've also wondered (when using WordTracker) how many searches were done by webmasters for a particular keyword or phrase and how many by customers. For example, when I began my Christmas site early last year there were sure a lot of searches for "Christmas clipart". Obviously most of these were webmasters building Christmas sites.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread