Well, did ya see the no hitter??
    Thought one of you Boston fans woulda posted already. Just watched the last two outs. Do they usually get hugged by everybody when it happens??

oops in case ya didn't...think his name was Lester?? looked like a young guy.

Where's Brent E when ya need him? I'm sure he'll have ALL the info.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Thought one of you Boston fans woulda posted already. Just watched the last two outs. Do they usually get hugged by everybody when it happens??

oops in case ya didn't...think his name was Lester?? looked like a young guy.
    The pitcher was 24-year-old John Lester, who spend a year battling cancer, only returning mid-season last year, and pitched Boston's World Series clinching game, is one of the game's great stories, and it just keeps getting better and better.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I watched the whole thing since I have Lester on my fantasy baseball squad

Here's the link to ESPN story No Hitter

Awwhhh, that's sooooo nice Didn't know any of that, that explains why everybody was hugging him. He looked a bit teary eyed, too. Really happy for him

"Where's Brent E when ya need him? I'm sure he'll have ALL the info. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]"
    yea....thought for sure he'd have posted it...probably celebrating...ooh maybe he was there??? that woulda been nice.

That's 18 no-nos from a Red Sox pitcher. I'm still waiting for just 1 from the Mets.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Us too, Afiliyit.

Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    That's 18 no-nos from a Red Sox pitcher. I'm still waiting for just 1 from the Mets.
    Dodgers have the most at 20
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Hmm. Now when it comes to CARDINALS' pitching ... well ... ah, for the glory days of Bob Gibson again. Or, how about ANY pitcher who's got a clue?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Hmm. Now when it comes to CARDINALS' pitching ... well ... ah, for the glory days of Bob Gibson again. Or, how about ANY pitcher who's got a clue?
    Don't get me started on this one. I can't stand "the pitch count", constantly being referred to by announcers and making such a big deal about it.
    "It's the 6th inning and he's running out of gas".

Give me a break. These guys are making millions - suck it up and go out and pitch.

I recall one game of the 1969 World Series - Tom Seaver pitched into the 10th.
    They don't make pitchers like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    Don't get me started on this one. I can't stand "the pitch count", constantly being referred to by announcers and making such a big deal about it.
    "It's the 6th inning and he's running out of gas".

Give me a break. These guys are making millions - suck it up and go out and pitch.

I recall one game of the 1969 World Series - Tom Seaver pitched into the 10th.
    They don't make pitchers like that anymore.
    In those days, there was a 4-man rotation, not 5, and top starters pitched 250 to 325 innings each season. Today, any pitcher who hits 200 is called overworked.

ESPN had Juan Marichal on as a guest commentator on Baseball Tonight last week, and he described a game in the 60s that he pitched against the Braves and Warren Spahn, a game that went 16 innings, and that both he and Spahn pitched the entire 16 innings.

When I train in sales, be it outside sales or affiliate sales, I always tell the following little story - which also relates here.

There was an experiment done with fleas. The fleas were placed in a glass jar. Now fleas love to jump. These fleas would jump up to 3 feet higher than the top of the jar.

A cover was placed on the top of the jar. The fleas still jumped, but kept hitting their heads on the bottom of the lid. Ouch.

After a while, the lid was removed, and the fleas would no longer jump 3 feet high. The would simply jump to the top of the jar. Another example of classical conditioning I guess.

The point? Well in sales, sales people will basically "sell" to certain level, and not outperform is certain mental barriers are set. Remove those barriers, and they excel.

As for pitchers, they are trained in the minor leagues to the 100 pitch count. The LID gets placed on the jar. When they reach the major leagues, they're simply GASSED at that level and can pitch no more. Yes, there are some that reach back for that little extra and try to go further, but most of the time, the manager has already made the decision to bring in the bullpen.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread