AdsBot - Was I sleeping when they started this?
    Is it just me, or did Google recently slide in a new rule about robots.txt files regarding the fact that the Google bot ignores 'User-agent: *' wildcard statements. Official quote from Google help section:

Note: In order to avoid increasing CPCs for advertisers who don't intend to restrict AdWords visits to their pages, the system will ignore blanket exclusions (User-agent: *) in robots.txt files.

Up until I read that, I always thought 'User-agent: *' kept everyone out. I'm usually pretty good about reading the guidelines, so maybe this is news to someone else too.

So, what are they going to behave like a "bad bot" now?

Whoaaa... I need to read that.. critical exclusions in some of my robots.txt files, to avoid duplicate content being spidered.

Why is it always something..??

Thanks for the catch....

ABW Ambassador
    I'm confused.. so doing something like:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /folder1/
    Disallow: /folder2/

Means google would completely ignore the disallows now?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Where in their "help" section is this (link)?

Quote Originally Posted by 212TomTom

Note: In order to avoid increasing CPCs for advertisers who don't intend to restrict AdWords visits to their pages, the system will ignore blanket exclusions (User-agent: *) in robots.txt files.
    That quote looks as if it's likely to be just talking about that bot they use to verify pages for AdWords (Adsbot-Google), rather than the general Googlebot. Also, the use of the term "the system" seems to imply a branch other than the search engine.

I looked up the general page on how to keep Googlebot away here and, while it does give the vague impression that they just can't imagine anyone wanting to do that, (and doesn't admit that a wildcard can work) it doesn't say it'll ignore the wildcard, either.

So I'd need to see the possibly-offending help page in context, before freaking out.

Not that I'd put it past G to only update their FAQ in one place, and not where most people are going to see it...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Under Tools (in Webmaster tools) you can now generate robots.txt directly in the google interface. That's new - at least in last few months, as it wasn't there when I was testing versions for a site launch.

Click on Generate - then Learn More at the top right:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=40364

"Googlebot follows the line directed at it, rather than the line directed at everyone."

Pretty big change (for me anyway)..

edit: just noticed you provided same link. I interpret that to mean google will now ignore the * flag, and you would need to specify User-agent: Googlebot, Disallow.

As usual, this could be subject to google interpretation, but there's a pretty decent article here: http://searchengineland.com/080327-173946.php

For me, I can't chance it, have already added Googlebot disallow.. my site would get penalized for duplicate content if they accidentally ignored the wildcard disallow (for any reason). Better safe than sorry, my rankings have been all over the map for 2 new sites...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Googlebot follows the line directed at it, rather than the line directed at everyone."
    The examples I saw showed it having lines for G-bot, but, their examples were giving their bot different instructions than the ones for everyone--not just repeating what had already been done.

So it seems, to me, that if there IS no line directed at it, it should pick up the clue (unless you're an AdWords advertiser). But it's G, so your mileage may vary.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm still surprised to see the ability to generate your robots.txt directly on the google site. Not sure how comfortable I am with an online editor for such an important file. Then again, you'll never see me sign up for the new Google Health records either!

Also noticed an increase in number of their agents.

Next time my site goes crazy in SERP, at least I can rest easy knowing it isn't robots.txt

Sorry folks, here's the page where I found that blurb:

http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...n&answer=38197

The data I posted applies only to the AdsBot, which is used by the Adwords program to help determine Quality Scores for Adwords.

Due to personal reasons, the last week has been hell. Sorry for posting only partial data.

Wasn't aware of this so will have to read more about it.

" Due to personal reasons, the last week has been hell. Sorry for posting only partial data."

I'm sorry about whatever that is and hope this week is better

sorry about the bad week, but unless the adbot sees the page you're putting their ads on, how will they know what stuff to show?
    Seems like it is reasonable to expect that the adwords bot would ignore the robots for pages with adwords on them.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread