Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Teaching Affiliate Marketing To Someone
    Awhile back I posted about trying to help a couple think of an anti-social business idea . Well I haven't been much help so far so I was wondering if anyone has successfully taught someone affiliate marketing?

I know we all talk about people asking and rolling our eyes at the thought, but has anyone actually done it?

I have a great site idea for the wife and I think it would be perfect for her, but she knows very little about the net. Imagine one of those people who thinks checking email is too much work.

Still...I want to help. So do you think it's possible to teach someone, or is this something you just have to learn on your own?

I was thinking of building the site for her and letting her have it so she could promote it. I don't have time for a site like that but I think she would. Good idea or am I shooting myself in the foot?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict

I have a great site idea for the wife and I think it would be perfect for her, but she knows very little about the net. Imagine one of those people who thinks checking email is too much work.
    If she thinks checking email is "too much work" she'll never make it. She'd be better off collecting a paycheck and being told what to do.

It's admirable that you want to help but this (IMO) would classify as a huge waste of time, for everyone involved.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    If she thinks checking email is "too much work" she'll never make it. She'd be better off collecting a paycheck and being told what to do.
    Well that's why I thought if I taught her then she'd see that it's really not that hard and she doesn't have to be afraid of it. It's not like she's dumb because she's not. She just never had someone to teach her about computer stuff. I thought if I "told her what to do" she'd do it and then everyone would be happy.

But then again I don't want to get all excited about helping someone to only end up frustrated and annoyed at myself for thinking of the idea.

ABW Ambassador
    I have a great site idea for the wife and I think it would be perfect for her, but she knows very little about the net.
    If it is your idea, then she isn't going to be too enthusiastic is she?

I was thinking of building the site for her and letting her have it so she could promote it. I don't have time for a site like that but I think she would. Good idea or am I shooting myself in the foot?.
    If you have to build it for her, what is the point? Does she want to learn? Or are you just trying to get her into it?

I try sometimes to tell my wife what I am doing, but she has no idea.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I have tried to teach a couple people, but most people don't want to make the effort to learn affiliate marketing once they realize that it actually takes effort and a large skill set.

Many people don't want to learn the skills needed to have a website and add links.
    Many people want to have a guaranteed income and therefore don't want to take the time to learn from their mistakes and improve their sites.

I remember when I showed one of them, a graphic designer who is also a neighbor, basically what I do. She really looked confused after showing her step by step on my computer how it works, and she's actually pretty intelligent.

She was looking for a second income, but she doesn't have a regular schedule for a normal second job, so I thought that affiliate marketing with one site would work for her. The last time I checked, her site is on hold indefinitely. I think that she isn't ready to pay for cheap hosting without being sure she'll actually do the work.

The other person I tried/am trying to teach, considers basic HTML to be very confusing, and just finds anything that takes more than 2 steps to be overwhelming. I wonder how he learned to tie his shoes. :-) I'm trying to teach him basic website skills using my favorite CMS. I tell him to write everything down so he doesn't have to ask me repeatedly.
    Perhaps in 2009, he'll be ready for affiliate links.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by cjshoppingnetwork
    If it is your idea, then she isn't going to be too enthusiastic is she?

If you have to build it for her, what is the point? Does she want to learn? Or are you just trying to get her into it?

I try sometimes to tell my wife what I am doing, but she has no idea.
    That's what I was going to ask, if she's shown any interest in it whatsoever. Sometimes we might try to get people interested in stuff they really have no interest in. I've had people ask me before and I told them they needed to know how to make some kind of web page, all the hours involved, the problems, the high failure rate, the possibility that they might need to spend a little money to get started, all the things they should learn (traffic generation) etc. That usually changes their mind.

I was taught by a person who built a site as they did not have time to run it on a day to day basis. I was not given the site but rather am paid a salary. I've learned alot by just doing it and building relationships along the way. If the person is interested I think they could be taught ( I was anything but a "techie"). I would have to ask what's in it for you. Will you charge them for the site or take a percentage of the profits?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    That's what I was going to ask, if she's shown any interest in it whatsoever. Sometimes we might try to get people interested in stuff they really have no interest in.
    Well I briefly mentioned it yesterday and she seemed really excited, but then I thought about it, and then I said "well...it's something I'd have to think about, so one step at a time."

As for building the site for her, I can't imagine trying to help her build it step by step. Nope I don't have the patience for that. But I thought she could learn as we go. I build the site, and meanwhile she is learning about html, updating pages, seo, and all that. I'd help her setup affiliate accts in her name with her dd info so all the money would go to her while she is learning.

I just feel really obligated to help because I said I would help them find something, and they've always helped me when I needed it.

To answer smallaff, I'm not looking for anything in return. I don't want anything in return. They helped me in the past when I had nothing so to want something in return would be wrong of me.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by smallaff
    I was taught by a person who built a site as they did not have time to run it on a day to day basis. I was not given the site but rather am paid a salary. I've learned alot by just doing it and building relationships along the way. If the person is interested I think they could be taught ( I was anything but a "techie"). I would have to ask what's in it for you. Will you charge them for the site or take a percentage of the profits?
    If you were being paid, then it is a huge incentive to learn.

My son used to have a therapist come to help him with some of his medical issues. She was really interested in affiliate marketing and wanted to know what I did to make it work for me (not telling all of my secrets...ha.) So, I gave her the basics and even had her in my office on a Saturday teaching her some key points.

When she came for therapy his next few sessions she tried her best to get some additional freebies out of me, but I ended up telling her that I could teach her on a fee basis only (and pretty cheaply I might add.) $100 for 2 hours on a Saturday morning. Not bad for personalized instruction when you consider the average cost of computer training. She maintained that she was interested but then never called/emailed to meet again. My son eventually made it through all of his therapy goals with her and she has therefore stopped her weekly visits.

She did manage to move pretty fast though for a beginner (got a domain, hosting, WP setup, graphics, was working on a logo...etc.) Makes me wonder if she is going to stay with it or just move on. I think when people find out that the big money just doesn't roll in like crazy in the beginning, then they often give up.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    When people find out that realistically, it can take 6 months or even over a year before you start earning much money, that scares them away.

That is why these get rich quick schemes sell so well.

People are scared to put the real work into this business.

If someone is interested in learning, I think you can teach affiliate marketing.

If the site idea is perfect for her then maybe you can get her started as the content writer. You could build the site template and get things started and then have her write the content and maintain and expand the site (apparently it must be within her niche?). Give her pointers on some ways she might promote the site and hopefully she would take it from there.

That seems reasonable but you would need some type of strong commitment from her to not drop the ball. You don't want to go to the effort of building it for her and have her drop it without giving it a good try.

superCool has no experience doing this, but superCool sends you encouragement. Good luck

I guess I need to go back and explain to her what would be involved, and then see if she still thinks it's a good idea. Now to make a list of what it takes...

Personally I have no interest in this niche, but it relates to her job, and it seems to be increasing in popularity online so with some hard work and a little creativity I think it would make a great site.

ABW Ambassador
    I think you can teach of basics of AM as we know it today.

Whether or not you can teach a person to learn something new continually is another matter. I am creating a new series of sites incorporating what I've learned over the past year. I am amazed at how much I've had to change strategies - some of which are very subtle, but nonetheless important.

ABW Ambassador
    Where you thinking more of a regular type site or blog? I would think you could setup a blog pretty quickly and basically start her up with just writing posts. After some posts, maybe a link here and there from a site of yours. Then when a little traffic starts coming and then maybe a comment on her posts or a sale, that usually gets them more interested.

I was thinking more of a regular site because I don't know how well this topic lends itself to blogging. But then again, since you mentioned, it I'd have to think about that. It sure would be easier that way in terms of helping her learn.

I guess it could be a blog because I doubt that there's many (if any) on the topic. Thanks for the suggestion.

I deal with this on a slightly different level, but I hope this helps - I have clients who all start out (seemingly!) self-motivated, they buy a site from me (CMS-based), then complain when they have to update their own info & "learn".

I no longer offer training sessions, irrespective of fees, as my time is better spent on my own sites. There are tons of computer classes out there, from html to blogging to graphics/imaging.

What you can't teach someone is initiative & passion for a topic (independent of potential monetary gain).

If she's interested in the topic, she will make the time to learn. It doesn't matter how much help you make available to her, the questions will start coming.

This business requires an incredible amount of self-motivation. You have to judge for yourself if it's there... or find out from her what you can agree upon as a level of commitment.

My mom got very excited about affiliate marketing when she saw that I was making some money. She has been a stay at home mom for 25+ years and wasn't ready to go back into the working world. She asked me to show her what I was doing, but when I tried she just got overwhelmed.

I am like you though, I really wanted to help her, especially since my dad is retired and they needed the money. They have always helped us out in the past without expecting anything in return.

So I decided I would just set up a website for her (with all of the links and everything) and I even set up some advertising for her. She started making money, but then couldn't maintain it at all, even when I told her how to do it. She said checking her stats was "too boring" (I can't imagine feeling this way!).

I knew then that I had made a mistake, so I referred her to one of those companies that pays you to do customer service work from home instead. She makes $11 an hour and is very happy. I think some people are just better off in an employee-type situation.

Thanks for the tips guys. She sent me a text message with some domain ideas, lol. I told her to check her email and get back with me because I made a list of everything she'd need to know how to do and things she needs to learn. (Wow, we do a lot of work!)

I also added in about how it takes time and this won't be instant fast cash. I sent it to her and her husband so we'll see if they are interested after looking at the list.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread