I have three teens and would rather see them earn some money doing their own sites rather than stuff bags at the grocery store.

What would be a decent plan of attack ? They don't have to make a fortune. I was thinking some sort of content site with adowrds and some amazon links. If they had their way they would make some sort of cheat site but I don't think there's money in it, I could be wrong.
    How do gaming sites do ?

ABW Ambassador
    Cheat site: the surfer already has the game. No sale, but might take the wallet out of his back pocket for a new game.

Nah, review the games instead. Tell people why they should buy the game and provide the links.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

I think stuffing bags at the grocery store is part of being a teen. You’ve got to flip a few burgers or stuff a few bags to experience what all non-spoiled teenagers should in life. They’ll have plenty of time to sit alone with the computer later on.

Shouldn’t part of being a teenager be to get out and interact with other people?

"Merchant with no cookie get no clicky"

The problem I have with a game review site is that it would be very time consuming and a great excuse to play more games for "research".

What else ? How about a directory site with links to sites about legacy systems. It could be decent from the search engine standpoint.

Whate else besides games ?

>>Shouldn’t part of being a teenager be to get out and interact with other people?

Very good point. Some of my lifelong friends,even meeting my wife, were due to working at a department store.

Retired Member
    I agree. They should get an outside job. Sitting at home surfing the internet will not give them the skills to succeed. The MOST important element of success is the ability to work well with and motivate others.

I've been working at home fulltime, staring at a computer since 1993. And I have to admit it has not helped my business social skills. It also reduces your ability to build a network of business associates. There is nothing as good as face-to-face contact with people.

This applies to anyone considering this occupation fulltime. You definitely get freedom, but the price is a certain level of isolation.

Retired Member

I'm glad to see that, although everyone here is very interested in affiliate marketing, we all recognize the importance of balancing the skills we pass on to our kids. I think that it would be completely reasonable to help them build a site if they want to and let them get an outside job too. As we all know, they aren't going to replace their allowances with an affiliate site right away, anyway.

As for the game site, it might be fun but will almost definitely be a poor revenue producer. We have many, many affiliates and few in that area are very strong. Networks like UGO, that aggregate these publishers, have some of the worst performance that I've encountered and, with the expansion of performance marketing, have begun to have problems making money.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com

ABW Ambassador
    Your kids will learn a lot more about life's skills by working outside the home rather than doing AM at this point in their lives. If you want to get them interested in AM, help them develop a site they can work on when they're not working outside the home or at school.

Put me on the list of those thinking teens should work outside the house.

Begin -

I shoveled steel chips in a machine shop, umpired everything from t-ball to Regional ASA tournaments, kept score and maintained statistics for a softball league, worked as a playground supervisor, did janitorial work at Chuck E. Cheese, you name it. And it was all great experience. Being a teen and young adult is about experiencing diversity and developing social skills. A job outside the house does that, plus helps teach important lessons about responsibility and develop a good work ethic.

I think having them develop a site is a great idea, too, something they can do as a hobby in their spare time.

But get out there, meet other people and see that great big world out there!

OK, enough. End -

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

I personally believe that a youth in the pre-teen to teenager age levels absolutely need personal & working interaction with other people.

I think that this is needed in order to learn how to interact and deal with many different personalities under many different scenerios.

Interaction with others through a web browser screen does not give you the "hands on" type of learning experience needed IMO. A web browser contact may teach you certain fundamental elements on interacting with others, but I believe it's missing the crucial element of "hands on" experience that a browser just can not emulate.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

I also believe a teen needs interaction time with others. The computer has a tendency to create a shut-in or non-social person.

My neighbor is a Teacher for Gifted Children, she has those kids going everywhere, every chance she gets to broaden social skills and basic life understanding.

The teen years are when social skills develop us into a Leader or a Follower. To take that part of childhood growth away by shelling up all alone looking at a computer screen could seriously damage social skill growth.

Bagging groceries, flipping a burger or even baby-sitting, all teach the types of skills we require to become an acceptable human in society.

Some examples of skills to be learned from the mundane jobs:

Bagging groceries teaches us tolerance and respect for others items. (Ever get the kid that places a turkey on your bread)

Flipping burgers teaches teamwork, memory and organizational skills.

Baby Sitting: mega patience and understanding.

Just read some of my posts and you can see I have not been socially active in a very long time!

But all that is JMO and I am a butthead!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just read some of my posts and you can see I have not been socially active in a very long time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose I should contribute to this thread since I started the affiliate marketing game about five years ago when I was only 16 (at least that's when I got my first cheque). I somewhat agree with the previous posts saying that crap jobs are good for kids since they teach you all sorts of social skills. Unfortunately (well I suppose I should say fortunately) I never had such jobs -- I think the lowest paying job I've had thus far was working for Nortel Networks. Regardless I think I have developed many other equally important skills through affiliate marketing. Skills like financial responsibility, time management, marketing, etc. Plus affiliate marketing is incredibly profitable if done properly. Last summer I made enough to pay for all four years of university plus the cost of living away from home. Most of my friends my age are still dependent on their parents, are in debt, are unemployed or are barely making minimum wage.

In then end though I would advise against pushing your kids into affiliate marketing, or anything else for that matter. I suppose I was a unique case, but I think the best way for kids to develop is to just let them be. That's how I learnt. Show them FrontPage, give them some space on a server and help them out if they ask for it. Just don't be mad if they reformat your hard drive or accidentally flash your bios incorrectly. In time they'll find a way to turn a hobby like making web pages into a cash cow. Remember they're still kids.. Education should come first, then they'll eventually pick up how to make money from it. If they don't then maybe affiliate marketing isn't for them....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've been working at home fulltime, staring at a computer since 1993. And I have to admit it has not helped my business social skills. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I've been working at home since I was 16 and luckily I did work some dead end jobs to supplement my business income and interacted with people with ease. As time progressed I spent more time at home until one of my business ventures sent me to the board rooms of some of the largest companies in the US and even the white house. I felt like such a boof. Luckily my partner interacted extemely well in any situation and did most of the verbalizing.

I think the content site idea would be great for teens. Add the affiliate program in as a bonus and not the focus of the site. Maybe they could choose a subject that could get them some extra credit at school.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Let them build the kind of site they want to build. That is the only way they will be interested enough to do it. They will learn computer skills that will more likely be more useful than anything they can learn stuffing grocery bags. I have seen some kids that are great programmers. They have the time to really put into learning new things. Once you are an adult most of your time is spent just trying to survive. Kids get plenty of social time at school. It's not like they will be glued to a computer 24 hours a day.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    ROFL! I have to laugh at the basic idea of building social skills from most j*bs!!

All most of my j*bs did is remind me of all the reasons I prefer COMPUTERS!

Sticking an unsociable person into a situation where they deal with people will only make for misery. Ain't gonna run/type mismatch error! But a sociable type will find some club or something to join in the abscence of a j*b.

I would say to guide the teens in the direction that seems to match THEIR personalities. That which does not match tends to have the effect of water in a gas tank. Although it can be a great motivator to get OUT of the bad match! /

I will say, though, that a j*b that entails customer service can provide OTHER valuable information (if the employee is paying a drop of attention, which is rare)--namely, how to sell things, persuade people, and avoid saying things that scare customers away! Retail w*rk (NOT night stock or cashier, but w*rk where real customers can be observed in the act of choosing products) can also give insight on what kind of displays go over, which signs they react favorably to, how much of a discount there has to be before people will buy something they usually wouldn't, etc. etc. etc.

But personally I'd have them get a j*b first, not to "build social skills," or even to get them to learn some (very helpful) retail tricks--but so they truly know, deep down inside, just what poison they'll be avoiding by doing affiliate marketing instead.

And if they *don't* think the job is poison, chances are AM is not for them at this time. In that case, set 'em up to climb high on the corporate ladder with a good education and "work ethic" under their belts.

DO give them a clue about AM even if they don't think w*rk sucks right away. Don't make them learn all about it if they don't want to know, but they should at least have a clue. After all, opinions can change and jobs that start out fine can go to rot with a management change.

As for a site, a SALES SITE is my recommendation of course! As for a game site, if they want to add one of those TOO, what the heck. A person's gotta have fun! But a site that's most likely going to be unlucrative should be considered "for fun" going in, to avoid disappointment.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

It absolutely amazes me how you can give advise and how so many really revere your writings. This is the second time in 2 days I do not agree with what you say. So glad this is a forum with which we can share ideas.

Previous writing I tought was doodoo.

posted August 27, 2003 09:58 AM
    Jason--it's amazing how having guts will bring out the FLAMES from people (SandraR) who would rather that no-one actually have any huezos isn't it?!! Absolutely appalling negative responses!!

My opinions in a nutshell:

QUIT SAFEWAY! You have nothing good to say about the place. So QUIT! Life's too short for keeping rotten j*bs.

If you get too broke, other j*bs are a dime a dozen at that level (low-level empl*yment), so it's not like you can't get another one. There's always some joint that's looking for a warm body.

She's worried that you'll be imposing on your family. So what?! Go ahead and IMPOSE. IMPOSE AWAY because if you make any serious money, you can pay them back and then some. And if you don't make any serious money--remember that they were GAMBLING on you, in the hopes that you'd strike it rich and they'd get something out of it besides "thanks."

YOU using resources is no worse than anyone else doing it. It is NOT inherently better that they spend the money elsewhere. (It is also not also inherently better that they spend it on you!)

If you pay $895 or so for a server you're frackin' Nuts unless you have hundreds of sites! Same with that huge*ss advertising fee I saw mentioned. Talk about needing to get a grip... Some people just like to pay a lot so they can wow people over "how much they pay out." Don't fall into that trap--it'll make you broke!

DON'T tell ABestWeb everything unless you have your flameproof suit on. As you can see, there are some people who'd rather see you w*rking some peasant job.

$400/mo is peanuts but when I quit my last job I had peanut *shells*...Nothing but promises from Snare!!! It wasn't till 2 months later that CJ's first deposit came! So you can be sure I'll NEVER be the one to say, "be earning enough before quitting a j*b."

You MAY end up w*rking again at times, though. Don't take that as a failure, just a detour.

As for all this talk about a fallback plan, education, etc. Bah! You're currently doing Stock, as I recall. About the only fallback plan needed for that level of a j*b is to have another company within range that's hiring.

Things to NOT DO until you have multiple K/month:

DO NOT get a mortgage, or otherwise tie the roof over your head, to the commissions in your account.

DO NOT start thinking that there'll never be a dip in earnings.

DO NOT buy anything on payments!!! "Easy monthly payments" are the oldest *parasite* on Earth. Pretty soon they can all add up to more than you're making.

As for my personal opinion, personally I think moving in with a bunch of other people and eating ramen would Suck beyond measure but I've seen people do it okay before, *and with even less than $400/month*. It seems to be pretty common among those in their late teens and early 20s, but judging by the dropoff in those living arrangements among older people, it gets tiresome after a while. Just make sure you're really a "people person" or you'll hate it more than S*feway because your privacy will be SHOT...

And don't get too comfortable with that setup or you'll lose the urge to "level up." I've also seen those who have lived on peanuts (and $400 is peanuts!) get TOO used to it, and end up going nowhere. No-Work is like a prescription drug. It can be used to great benefit--but it can also lead to ruin if "taken improperly."

That said, I will not make predictions for your future, either positive or negative. It may work, or not~! "Going for it" is a gamble by its very nature and I just wish you Good Luck.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread