8 19.51%
  • $301 - $750

5 12.20%
  • >$750

7 17.07%
  • I don't understand the question.

3 7.32%
    ABW Ambassador
    In August*, what was your total dollar amount (commissions, not sales) where you had less than $25 per CJ merchant?

IOW, take every CJ merchant that had Augustcommissions of less than $25, add the commissions all together, and cast your vote in the appropriate dollar range below.

(*sorry, I switched to using August numbers (before anyone had voted) because it's a royal PITA to get those numbers for July.)

[This message was edited by Cedric on September 04, 2002 at 05:17 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    We can thank CJ's consolidated checks for the fact that those dollars won't be left sitting on the table for who-knows-how-long!

Free Classifieds for Your Website

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, baby. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It's why I do almost of all my "new product" testing via CJ.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Does your leaving off the $25 or greater option imply that it's rarely possible to get that high of a commission at CJ? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

ABW Ambassador
    lol... no, it's just that $25 is a common cutoff point for cutting checks when the merchant is using a program/network that doesn't do a consolidated check.

I was just interested in seeing how much money would be left on the table if CJ didn't offer a consolidated check.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This figure is called the commission "float". CJ pays this out no matter waht. At Befree you need an average float of 950.00 to start see some steady checks. At Linkshare in is more like 1200.00. Problem with floats ( My high was 2700.00 at LS) is when merchants pull out and stiff the non-minimum affiliates for their floats. I lost about 1900.00 infloats when I took the networks to task on transparency and trust issues during Feb-Mar 2000 in the forums and my e-mails.

WebMaster Mike

Surprised it ended up being so low. It was indeed only for the newer merchants where my pages are only now getting traffic. My well established pages all brought me in over a $25 minimum on those merchants.

So how come I can't meet my minimums on LS???!! Whaaaaaa, I need a brainstorm on what is going on with me and my LS merchants!!!

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

At CJ, my total from <$25/mo. merchants is still less than $25.

At BF, this amount is less than $50, at LS, less than $100. At Performics, < $25 again.

Consolidated doesn't mean nothing here. By partnering with and promoting a merchant, I consolidate my check from this merchant myself. No help needed from the networks.

- BluesX

---------------
    Affiliate Marketing is built upon honesty. Tracking is not affected.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, and it's lovely that it all works out so nicely for you, BluesX.

But, you know, not everyone shares your strategies OR your volume of traffic. For those folks (and I would be one of them), a consolidated check is a nice thing.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Cedric I did not say it is a bad thing..<<

I know, just unnecessary for some that walk among us.

>>(But the fact that the commissions could still get reversed after you receive the money is GROSS)<<

Oh indeed it is. The good new is, in my experience, that is among the rarest of occurences. I've only had it happen once and it was for about $3.95 in commish.

Merchants are fairly good about getting all the really ugly reversals done in a timely manner. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------

This was an interesting exercise which I almost passed on because of - ugh - math [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but I'm glad I did it because I found the results interesting.

a) There were many more merchants than I'd thought with whom I did not make at least $25, however
    b) The sum of all the above only came to around $75.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    Lets hope Todd doesn't read this. I am sure his maths is good enough to realise how much interest a netowrk like Cj could make should they get rid of consolidated payments.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, I think Todd is smart enough to figure out that the fallout from merchants, affiliates and the guys responsible for the system architecture, would greatly outweigh the bank interest...

Not to mention the fact that without consolidated payment, CJ would probably not be the one gaining the interest -- the merchants would.

-------

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by perfectG:
    Lets hope Todd doesn't read this. I am sure his maths is good enough to realise how much interest a netowrk like Cj could make should they get rid of consolidated payments.

Andy Williams

http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think that's a problem. CJ is already holding $500 a month min. per merchant. (up to the $3000 deposit) for payouts.

If the figure of 40,000 merchants is still accurate, that's $22,000,000 in deposits.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

I know that 22 votes (so far) is not statistically viable, but I find this survey very interesting. I had heard somewhere that only 5% of CJ Affiliates make over $250. This survey, so far, indicates that that number is much higher (for those who responded). I'm guessing that is because we have some serious people here at ABW, more making a living at this than the many other CJ sites that are just trying to make a buck or two.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cedric:

Not to mention the fact that without consolidated payment, CJ would probably not be the one gaining the interest -- the merchants would.

-------

Noone mentioned consolidated payments being lost, only $25 minimum per merchant. Not the same thing. You could have consolidated payments for merchants over $25.

Sorry if I have misread the info, but CJ could prosper on interest on this model.

Andy Williams

http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by 7-days:
    I had heard somewhere that only 5% of CJ Affiliates make over $250.

Yes, that is correct. Back when we first hit $250 with CJ we were listed $$$$$. According to their rating system, $$$$$ is top 5%.

And really, that is very sad. CJ has 440,000 affiliate "publishers" and that means 22,0000 make $250 or more, but 418,000 make less. If you use the standard curve, you'll see most sites (half) don't make more than $25/month.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, things must have improved at CJ, because my mother passed $600 a couple of months ago--and she's still got 4 dollar signs.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    Well, things must have improved at CJ, because my mother passed $600 a couple of months ago--and she's still got 4 dollar signs.

The dollar signs represent your earnings from several months ago. I happen to know that $600 is more than enough to earn 5 dollar signs. So she'll get her $$$$$ soon.

ABW Ambassador
    Where do you find these $$$$$ signs? i would like to know what i am.

ABW Ambassador
    I am very surpised, mine was £117.00, i thought it would be a lot more than that, i should start working a bit harder with linkshare! i have loads still waiting to send me money

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tamalyn:
    I am very surpised, mine was £117.00, i thought it would be a lot more than that, i should start working a bit harder with linkshare! i have loads still waiting to send me money

I might be misunderstanding your post, so please forgive me, but I believe you are saying you made £117.00 via CJ but more on LS, and so you are goint to work LS more.

If this is the case, I'd like to warn you about this. We did the same thing 3 years ago. We abandoned CJ because we saw way more activity and sales over on LS and so pushed our efforts there. A year later we had a lot on paper, but only 1 check. To this day LS still owes us hundreds of dollars. What I'm saying is that just because your reports show you making money, until you get the checks, you aren't making anything.

If you have found the few merchants at LS that do pay, congratulations, keep up the good work. Otherwise... don't count your chicks before they are hatched.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread