Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ellen has been up against it for 7 weeks
    I hadn't mentioned it here before as we did not know what was going on, but Ellen has been having some real issues the past 7 weeks. Her lower leg has been basically numb and she's been having a lot of pain in her right hip area and all the way down the leg.

For 35 years now, tennis has been her # 1 recreation activity, so the last 5 weeks in FL killed her not being able to pick up a racquet or play on the team. She had X-rays done in FL and the doctor there basically told her to lay off, but had no real diagnosis or treatment, so we waited until we returned to CO.

When we got back they had her in for an MRI. The MRI clearly shows three herniated disks and an area that is pinching hard on a sciatic nerve. After a visit last week to an orthopedist, we next went to see the Neurosurgeon for the Denver Broncos.

His consultation was a bright spot for Ellie. He remarked that the notion that she can not play tennis again is absurd. He then went over the entire problem with us in excellent lay terms and outlined a strategy for a positive treatment that will hopefully avoid a surgical remedy. However, even if the worst case scenario came to be, the surgical procedure would not be fusing, which is good to hear.

So here we go. Next Wednesday I take her in for a nerve block injection that will intitially relieve the pain she's has been dealing with. In conjunction with the block, she will then be at PT 3 times weekly for the next 2 - 3 months. A combination of PT, special exercises, stimulation and traction should then correct the problem.

I've been really proud of her these past seven weeks as she's dealt with the pain, both physical and mental. She does not complain, she continues to do her daily errands and she is keeping her head up! She is a real trooper. So wish us luck!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Alan: Clearly I wish your far better half all the encouragement and luck in the world.

My wife has significant back problems, and with time and training, I've gotten her to only complain about grocery shopping, sex, and doing the dishes. And 60 other things.

But all things being equal, I encourage Ellen to follow the advice of a good, qualified therapist. Only then, no matter how much the pain might be (within reason, of course), might she be able to play the sport she loves. After all, imagine what you or I might endeavor to do to pick up the long rod again.

With faith in recovery comes recovery. I'm sure she can do it.

Tell her I look forward to leeching drinks off the two of you at an industry event again, perhaps in Scottsdale. It won't be the same without her happy and healthy, in order for her to tell us which of your stories are crap, and which are only partly crap.

Give her my best
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

herniated disks and an area that is pinching hard on a sciatic nerve.
    I've heard that the pain from this can be horrible. I'm so glad you found a Dr that understands the condition and can talk to you about the options.

We're sending our good wishes and encouragement for the future tennis matches. It sounds like there is some doctoring and some work ahead, but it will be worth it!

Hugs!

I am sure the pain of living with you has made her tough and able to deal with this.
    I wish her well and a summer full of tennis!

Connie said it shorter and with greater pinache than I did. /end.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I am sure the pain of living with you has made her tough and able to deal with this.
    I wish her well and a summer full of tennis!
    Perfect

And I know the pain well, she is beyond a trouper, and with the right treatment she will be painfree and fine But it does take time and patience and laying off the things you love for a while.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    No doubt that living with a good Marine all these years has its upsides when things like this occur. I'm bettin that's the kind of "pain" you were referring to, so thanks CB!!

Kevin, JM, Lox and all of you, thanks for the words of support. I am passing it all on to Ellie and she appreciates it much! (except for Kevin's apparent envy of my knowledge in the way of all things aquatic).
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I feel for her. I ruptured a disc at L5-S1 and the pain was extremely bad. I don't suggest emulating this, but I am going to tell you what made me work through it. My girl was just a newborn at the time and her bedroom was upstairs. So, naps were frequent and I had to go up and down the stairs at least 4-5 times/day. There were times I crawled up them with her in my arms. That was my physical therapy. I often told my wife that I don't think I would have (eventually) recovered from that the way I did without the baby and those stairs(+Ibuprofen 800). My back problems eventually lessened and I haven't had any bad leg cramps like I used to get for over 2 years now.

PT should be something that she likes since she is used to being active. I wish her a full recovery, which is much more important than a speedy one. Please do lay off the tennis for a little while though. Even though the racket isn't heavy, you can stretch things out more than they need to be (at this point) while swinging.

-sfcom

Alan, give Ellen my best. I hope she's better and on the tennis courts soon. I know that her feeling poorly is a lot tougher on you than you'll admit, so hang in there.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

She does not complain, she continues to do her daily errands and she is keeping her head up! She is a real trooper.
    I don't think I've heard Ellen complain ever! She's always upbeat and smiling. And plows ahead and gets whatever she needs done. A real trooper is right.

After lifting something heavy, I had a back problem for about six months - 15 years ago now - one day it kinda popped out, six months later popped back in, and never bothered me since. Not very painful at all during that time, but always there, and always a distraction, and a cause of worry that it would get worse.

Pass on my best wishes Alan. Hopefully therapy is all it takes and she'll be playing tennis in Florida by next year!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    HUGS to Ellen! Hope she gets this all behind her quickly and is back playing tennis soon. I know you'll take good care of her Alan.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I am glad that the prognosis looks good.. and she will be back on the court in no time.
    I am confident that she will do fine with you to rely on.

Ahhh...Connie is so very perceptive and succinct.

Please tell Ellen that Nancy and I are thinking about her, wishing her a speedy recovery, and a return to her favorite sport. It is good that you not only found a quality doctor, but one that can put your mind at ease with a thorough explanation.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Alan, please pass on my best wishes for a complete recovery. I'm glad the doc recommended a PT course of action. I had severe back pain for 22 years after colliding with two 240 lb. linebackers while playing football at CU. I tried everthing until my doctor sent me to a physical therapist. I was told the recovery could be permanent or not. It was not, but I learned how to re-align the back very easily with a few simple excercises.
    ~Ernie

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    What a strong woman you have there!

You both will be in my thoughts and prayers while she begins her road to treatment & recovery!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

I don't know Ellen other than everything you've said about her but please wish her well and hope she's getting some relief to her pain very soon.

With the amount of us who've had or have back problems we could start our own little mini forum. lol Sounds like you've got a really good doctor for her Am not positive but think the nerve block you referred to is the same my Dad had done about a year ago and it really helped him a lot.

Been through a lot of different treatments thru the years and once the pain part gets taken care of really am a strong believer in the exercises. Have been doin em all the time for quite a few years and really think they help. As erminator said, they help to re-align your back. Definitely asked my doc before starting it (he thought it was a great idea) and now do yoga most every day and really think it helps, too.

Like the others have said...she may feel like she's never gonna feel good again but if she sticks with her treatments and has patience with it, she will.

Hope she's feelin better very soon

Thank you all for the support, which I am passing along to Ellen. Your words of support and good wishes are helping her keep that cheery - beautiful smile on her face and in her heart.

No Longer Banned!
    Ellans Back Pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Thank you all for the support, which I am passing along to Ellen. Your words of support and good wishes are helping her keep that cheery - beautiful smile on her face and in her heart.
    Alan

Good luck to you & your wife bro. Back pain is a mess, I know a few people that had it.

Keep smiling.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Alan,

Please pass on my wishes to Ellen for a swift recovery! It's hard when the one you love is hurting, so be sure to take care of yourself, too.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Alan sorry to hear about your wife's back issue.

I had back surgery to remove a fragment that had broken off my L3/L4 disk and imbedded itself into the nerve. I know firsthand how much pain back issues cause and how impactful they are to active people.

Let her know, though, that there is light at the end of the table. For me, its been a little over 3 months and my back is virtually pain free, I play golf often and am so relieved that medical advances make it possible to recover fairly quickly from back procedures.

We will say a little prayer for her fast recovery!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Alan,

I'm glad you guys are back in CO and found such a great doctor. I've had issues with sciatica pain before (from a fall ice skaing) and it was the worst pain I've ever dealt with. She is quite a trooper if she's not complaining. Please pass on my wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Alan, if this were simple sciatica without herniation, I could give some advice, but your wife's case seems fairly severe, so I will leave it to the experts. One harmless thing to try would be fairly good levels of water intake - not excessive but 3-5 glasses a day. Seems to help me.

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery for your wife.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Alan going to see the Neurosurgeon for the Denver Broncos is just great!!

I had the surgeon for the Tampa Bay Bucs do two back surgeries for me. He put a titanium plate in my neck - I had been to six doctors with constant pain for seven months. I saw Dr Nucci and he had me under the knife in less than a week. My sister-in-law had the same neck operation and was bed ridden for weeks. Dr. Nucci said he had players back to restricted practice in a week. I was 95% better when I woke from the anesthesia.

A couple of months after that I developed 'drop foot' - I couldn't move my foot with my ankle. He operated again on my lower back. The lower back took about four weeks to heal after the surgery.

It's been almost four years and I feel fine - better than I have in fifteen years .

My point is, is that these football teams hire the best.

By the way - I traveled from NY to Florida for my surgeries. It's worth a little travel to get the best. I've heard many horror stories from people who have had similar surgeries by local Drs that went bad.

I hope your wife doesn't ever need surgery, but if she does I'm sure your with the right Doctor.

Good Luck,

Doug

Wishing her a fast recovery.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Alan: Clearly I wish your far better half all the encouragement and luck in the world.
    I don't think I could've said it better myself! Best wishes and hugs to Ellen!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast