publisher with multiple websites: PID vs. CID
    For awhile now I've had one site that I've been maintaining, and I recently expanded when I launched a second site (which targets a completely different demographic).

My question is, should I be using a unique CID for each site? And what exactly is the PID? One CJ rep told me I should have unique CIDs, then someone else said CID or PID. What are the implications for each? What would an advertiser prefer? It gets more interesting when you consider the scenario where I have 2 sites targeting 2 different demographics, and an advertiser only wants to give approval to me for 1 of the 2 sites. Multiple CIDs gives them that flexibility, obviously, but then my second site is fairly new, and I'm worried I'll have a hard time getting advertiser approval until I build my traffic.

Also, I'm not sure how the PID gets specified, I'm assuming it's an optional argument on the url? Because most URLs are of the form:

http://www.**************/click-mycid-linkid

Finally, this probably belongs in the other network forums, but I obviously have the same question/problem with LinkShare, Performics, and Shareasale.

Thanks,
    Dustin

PID is the publisher ID and there is a unique one assigned for every Web Site. It is great for reporting by web site. Not sure what CID is but SID is a tracking code that you can use for anything you want (can be used to track which link got the sale). When Advertiser's approve you in CJ it is for your entire account not by individual web site.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    PID is the publisher ID and there is a unique one assigned for every Web Site. It is great for reporting by web site. Not sure what CID is but SID is a tracking code that you can use for anything you want (can be used to track which link got the sale). When Advertiser's approve you in CJ it is for your entire account not by individual web site.
    From my understanding, CID is the customer ID. I don't know how CID and PID relate to each other. Either way, it's all very confusing, and I just want to find the optimal way so that I can get approved by the merchants I want and conform to whatever standard CJ recommends for my situation.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    CID is Company ID I believe, and the number represents your entire account on CJ. The PID represents each site beneath that account.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

CID is your account ID number (the number at the top of the CJ Account Manager next to your name). PID is the website ID assigned to your individual websites listed in your profile.

Your links are based on PID - the format is http://www.trackingdomain.com/click-PID-AID (AID is the ad ID). You CANNOT use your CID in a tracking link.

Just came and found this thread on a search to find out what the heck CID is all about.

I just discovered that this has been added to form/product links.

On mine, the CID and PID are the same number, which is the PID for a particular site within my account, NOT the "main account ID" or anything like that.

Anybody know what the heck this is all about? Last post in this thread says something about not using CID in a tracking link, but it's gonna wind up in there because the form adds it as part of the string.

CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread