Globat Gripe!!!!
    So I suppose its no mystery that Globat is a dirty dirty company known for stealing... Globat is in the process of STEALING my domain name right out from underneath me..... I've contacted them several times, and have been out right ignored each time.... They are pulling the same tricks that they are pulling with everybody else. Auto-charging when they shouldn't be... blocking my account for "non payment" for services that I never signed up for!!!! I already read the story, so I know what they are up to... I have a few days until my domain expires, at which point, its legally theirs (if I understand correctly)... So if they ignore me long enough, there will be "nothing that they can do" (i've heard about 50 people in that situation)... So is it policy to ignore their customers (should call them victims) until they a.) go away, b.) shell out more money, c.) loose their intellectual property???? I know I'm not taking this sitting down... I'm gonna get mad... And I want others to get mad too!!! Stop letting nameless faceless corporations rape the unsuspecting public.

It sounds to me like there is one hell of a law suite brewing... Granted I just want to get my domain name and get the heck away from Globat, but something needs to be done about this company. Is it not time we put their heads on a stick? How much longer do we sit back and watch them take advantage of people?

Please, what CAN be done about this in a court of law? I have found hundreds of posts of people being ripped off by this company. This needs to end. There is only one word for this.... CRIMINAL!

Have fun sleeping at nights Globat staff!

-Dave B, another victim... qualityfutonframes.com (soon to be another money making Global placeholder)

Admin Note: Thread renamed and moved.

If the domain was important to me, I think I'd be paying up and getting the name transfered as soon as possible.

X

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Pretty sure registrars are unable to claim ownership of a domain name due to unrelated unpaid charges.

Are these globat people an accredited ICANN registrar?

If not, find out who your REAL registrar is, obtain the AUTHCODE for the domain, get it unlocked, and transfer it to another registrar under your OWN account.

Then Globat can no longer hold it hostage.

And learn that you should NEVER have your domain name billed through the same people as your web hosting SPECIFICALLY to avoid this sort of thing.

Web hosts go to the wall all the time, there has only been ONE registrar go to the wall so far, and MOST names that were at it were able to be rescued and transfered to another.

According to Globat's 'legal' section of their domain registering section, they appear to be a register for Tucows (the well-respected online software supplier). I believe that Tucows is a accredited ICANN registrar - might want to make Tucows aware of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    And learn that you should NEVER have your domain name billed through the same people as your web hosting SPECIFICALLY to avoid this sort of thing.

Web hosts go to the wall all the time, there has only been ONE registrar go to the wall so far, and MOST names that were at it were able to be rescued and transfered to another.
    wow...... hmmm.. so if your host shuts its doors and that is also where you purchased your domain names and paid for them for like years in advance, you could lose them?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

thank you
    thank you to those of you who posted useful suggestions. someone had told me that Globat was a reseller for eNom. eNom (who sent me a helpful reply in about 20 minutes!) told me that the domain was registered through tucows. So I am going to try and bark up that tree.

For the record, I didn't sign up with web hosting through Globat... thats one of their dirty tricks... When you buy a domain name with them (which I knew was priced too low to be true), they send you an email a few days later saying your account will automatically be upgraded unless you opt out. And then... The opt out doesn't work...

(p.s. I use Hostgator, I LOVE Hostgator, long live Hostgator!)

I tried to get them to remove these additional services from my account... And they never even bothered to respond.

And for those of you who are interested, I still have not received a single response from Globat. EVER!!! I don't think anybody actually works there. If they do, they gave up on customer service a long long time ago. Turns out there is a class action suite against Globat (which WAS the relevant title of my thread!)...

There are thousands of reports like mine on the internet. This is nothing new, Globat has been doing this for what looks like at least a year straight. I want to know what people are doing about it? Who else has been taken?

I'll let you all know how things go. I am going to try and get Tucows to release the domain to me. Something tells me I am going to need a lot of luck.

And Boomers: I wish more of my customers shared your mentality. Do you work at Globat?

Others, thank you for your insight and assistance... I truly appreciate your feedback.

-Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by digaleet
    And Boomers: I wish more of my customers shared your mentality. Do you work at Globat?
    A newbie with a tude!
    Just being real. If the fight is more important to you than maintaining your domain, then have at it.
    I work for GloMe! Who do you work for?

X

Doesn't this just prove a point about people who know something is too good to be true, know there's a catch somewhere, neglect the research until the problem proves to be close to disaster, and THEN finds out that others have had issues?

If I buy a domain from someone and it's not at my preferred domain provider, I initiate a transfer. If it needs to be renewed first, then renew it and make a note to transfer when you can. If you start a transfer, the customer support can be specifically addressed to getting the domain moved.

Your initial rant post seems a bit vague for the typical customer support email or call. You accuse them of stealing your domain. What exactly do you want them to do? Renew it for free? Use a different credit card? Transfer it somewhere? Renew and transfer? I'm not trying to beat you up severely, nor do I work at or for Globat, but when you're dealing with tech support of any kind, they have to be told clearly what you're trying to do.

I understand your frustration. I've beat my head on the desk more than once with domain issues, but when I calmed down and took it one step at a time, I usually found that one action on my part under the direction of tech support usually fixed it.

The one issue I had with Globat was a domain that I renewed and then they showed it expired about a month later. I looked up the date, wrote a clear service ticket request with the facts and it was fixed within a couple of hours. No argument from them or anything. Somehow they had screwed it up and when I pointed out exactly what was wrong, they fixed it. Then I transferred the domain. I don't have time for that kind of crap either.

a luxury
    jmoore, unfortunately often when things seem to good to be true, they are... I had the luxury of knowing I wasn't going to be doing anything with this domain name for at least a year... After ICANN opened up the market for competition with NSI, I have tried about 10 different registrars, and at least twice that many hosting companies. In my opinion, it pays to forge your own opinions. Also websites like this typically have a lot of 3rd party influence. There is always the question of who is stuffing cash in who's pockets. Go type in "web hosting" in google for proof of this point.

Also jmoore, I should have been more clear, but I have been frantically trying to contact Globat for weeks now. Phone, email, and otherwise. No response. (really none, not even the standard email auto responders) It probably has something to do with the Federal Trade Commission's class action law suite... Which I will again say is what this thread was supposed to be about.

Boomers, thank you for your input. To answer your question. I don't work. Just get paid to be awesome

Perhaps I was wrong to voice my opinions. I was simply trying to warn the public and raise awareness of these new developments. I feel as if some of you are trying to put my head on a stick for doing so.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I've pointed this thread out to the person at Tucows best equipped to help fix the problem, if a problem is confirmed.

Thumbs up Thank you!!!
    Thanks to a couple of very kind individuals going out of their ways, I think I may walk home with my domain name after all. Drewbert, thank you very much. Someone from Tucows has contacted me regarding the transfer.

They Wrote:
    Hello;
    I have contacted your reseller (Tucows affiliate) and asked them to remove
    the lock on this domain and send you the auth code.

I must give them 2 business days to reply, please let me know if you
    do/don't hear from them (preferably by email)

I'm just gonna throw out a guess and say that nobody from Globat responds, and I have to go through Tucows. (I'll post updates)

What I learned:
    1.) Globat = a couple of punk teens who made a bunch of loot robbing people, and who are probably going to get the pants sued off of them for it.
    2.) If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    3.) My money is better spent with TUCOWS!

Thanks again.
    -Dave B.

I'm glad it's working out finally. Just for the record, I have no place to put a head on a stick, so that thought didn't really cross my mind. I was just matching your tone with my own personal rant.

Like I said - it gets frustrating out there in the domain world, but what I meant was also that the time spent yelling "let's sue the B$%#*" could probably be better spent working on the problem.

Hope it gets all straightened out.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread