Getting More From Daily Keyword Searches
    I'm using a tool that shows how many searches per day a particular keyword gets. It was eye opening.

This keyword phrase returned 2000 per day, with 2,000,000 competitors. Obviously, it's a wake up call as it's pretty much impossible getting 5000 hits on a single day when there aren't that many searches and then taking the competition into consideration - even with a decently optimized web page.

So I'm looking for answers. How does one think out of the box here? Are there any suggestions and what to do to rethink how you are using keywords?
    Or is PPC outbidding the only answer?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    What tool.

Am not exactly sure which tool you're referring to or exactly what you're asking either. But....if you're referring to just a keyword??? try instead to take a couple together instead and there won't be as much. For instance...instead of suits......Armani brown suits or size 38 brown suits or even Armani brown suits + size 38.....there won't be nearly as many results and not as much competition.

The tool is WebCeo. I just downloaded it to check it out and I've been playing around with it.

I'm referring to a 2 word keyword phrase - let's say something like "Widget Handles."

A person needs a handle for their Widget, so they search for "widget handles".

I guess the question is how to get more searches? Of course a solution is to use keyword suggestion tools, but for argument's sake, the suggestion tool provides little or no results. So where do we go from here?

Makes more sense now?
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    forget the 2 word searches. You need to go to 4 or 5 or more before you can really can the results, targeted of course

Which brings me to my point. If you were selling Widget Handles, how would you come up with those 4 or 5 word phrases? And suppose not many were actually searching for those phrases?

Left widget handles
    Right widget handles
    Pink widget handles
    Soft widget handles
    Wooden widget handles
    Silver widget handles

I usually like to stay with 3 keywords

So assuming those words, what would meta keywords look like?

widget handles, left widget handles, pink widget handles...etc
    or
    widget handles, left,right,pink,wooden,etc

I'm sure the latter wouldn't be too good, nor can you repeat "widget handles" over and over.

Or would keywords be irrelvent and these terms should be "bid on"?

Thanks for the little tutorial help here.

I am not familiar with the WebCeo software but looks like a glorified sitebuildit without the hosting but with a heftier price tag ( once the free trial runs out).

Are you using the keywords for seo on your page or to create a marketing campaign?

If the market is so competitive, I would suggest you be more focused and say go after the 'left widget handels' or as purple bear implied e.g. '10 cm left widget handels'

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    I am not familiar with the WebCeo software but looks like a glorified sitebuildit without the hosting but with a heftier price tag ( once the free trial runs out).

If the market is so competitive, I would suggest you be more focused and say go after the 'left widget handels' or as purple bear implied e.g. '10 cm left widget handels'
    It's actually a FREE version.

Are you using the keywords for seo on your page or to create a marketing campaign?
    BOTH. Looking for the "right way" to do both.

thanks

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Conversations like these just kill me! I talk to merchants who have in-house staff or agencies to handle their PPC. I ask how their conversion is and revenue growth. They answer that its OK but not growing at the rate they want.

Affiliates see PPC different than merchants. They work the angles looking for conversion and not high spends just to cover brand. An affiliate ROI is set by their commission rates. A PPC department or agency spend is covered by their budget or fees. If either of those were paid on rev share they would go out of business.

The trick is to get a merchant to understand that affiliates are rev share partners and more cost effective. They should hire affiliates who make a living at it. Haven't cracked that nut yet.

The right way on your page does not involve "META keywords" very much if at all. To optimize a page you do need to know what keywords and phrases people would use to find what you are offering. Then write content about those features that would use those keywords and phrases in describing the products you are optimizing for. Don't write for search engines, write for your visitors, you need to convince them that they're in the right place. That's where the look and feel of the site come into play as much as the words. Most people do not read all the words on a page - if any, but they must be there if someone wants to read about widget handles.

The more detailed information you write about those features is what determines the likelihood of showing up in a search for those keywords and phrases; the frequecy of updates and changes and additions to that information is what moves you up above other pages; The length of time that you have been moving up the results pages determines when you get closer to the top.

Do a search using the keywords and phrases you are trying to rank for and see what those sites at the top have done. Don't copy. Do better.

I found this thread very interesting and enlightening. I am new to affiliate marketing, but not new to marketing on the internet, having built my first fully functioning e-commerce site in1997. However, using search marketing is a new challenge. While I understand the concept of long tail key words, the bidding process still buffaloes me. Any help in that arena will be most appreciated.

No Longer Banned!
    I'd like to understand the long tall words better Radiium Any chance you couls share some insight ?

You can't get PM's yet I see.

You in area 281 ?

Please advise.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the question. Long tail key words are what are being discussed in this thread. Simply, they are regular key words with modifiers. For instance you take the key word “grill” and expand it into a long tail key word by creating a more narrow search string, like: “professional quality stainless steal barbecue grill.” You could also use “gas fired outdoor patio grill,” or “multiple burner butane powered rotisserie grill" or . . ., well the list goes on. I admit that these may be extreme examples, but hopefully you get the idea.

Oh, and yes I am in the 281 code.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread