ABW Ambassador
    I am Sick of Incompetence
    I received two emails today from LS merchants ( Lane Bryant and and Fashion Bug) who failed to track return days for a period of about 30 days "because of important upgrades" so they are going to "estimate" my earnings, based on the past. Since the same people signed the emails I guess the same bunch screwed up once, had such a good time doing it, they decided to do it again!

You know what - I'm promoting plus sized bathing suits on a brand spanking new site! This month just might not track according to the last few months. No this isn't okay!

And now I receive an email from a Performics merchant (Jackson and Perkins) that Tracking is down. Just down and somehow they are going to Reconcile my earnings. Of course this happened after they improved their servers to improve service to their customers and affiliates. No date on when this might be fixed.

You'd think if you are in the business of running an affiliate program and/or network, you might know how to do it without losing mission critical data.

I am tired of incompetent losers ruining my mood!

That's FOUR merchants (if you include IGOURMET from this morning) that I've had to replace. Luckily it seems these niches are very competitive and I've found some really great looking new merchants.

(Thanks for letting me share my tirade. The hubster isn't quite getting it.) Lily

Grrr.

If it's any consolation, I get the same slow nod and blank stare from my wife when I talk about these things.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Online Marketing Consultant
    Wow, sorry to hear that =0(. Another program with plus sized bathing suits is Kiyonna on SAS. The stuff looks fantastic and has a good price point. It's managed by Suluts as well who is here on ABW. You may want to try them as a replacement.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Grrr.

If it's any consolation, I get the same slow nod and blank stare from my wife when I talk about these things.
    At least your wife looks at you...

Mine just ignores me like I don't exist!

Incompetence is rampant in this day and age - everywhere!(maybe it always was)

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I was also a little peeved about the Lane Bryant return days issue.

I fault the networks when there is downtime that long, too. They should be monitoring things closer. They have access to far more data than we do, yet it's usually us affiliates who find the tracking problems.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Sometimes this industry takes the cake.

We are so dependent and need to be so trusting it is absolutely amazing that there is no real way for more accountability.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Aunt L

Yesterday I wrote a LOOOOOOOOONG thread calculating the WASTED time we spend undoing/redoing, unadding/readding, dealing with snafus caused by merchants and networks, etc.

But I decided not to post it. I saved it to a text file because one day I will, but not now.

I feel your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    ... so they are going to "estimate" my earnings, based on the past...
    Sorry to hear this happened to you! You would think with all this technology they would have a better system -- but then again, there is no incentive for them to do better. If the sale doesn't track, they don't have to pay you commission.

On the bright side -- at least you had earnings in the past, otherwise you probably woudn't get anything.

I have always felt that Lane Bryant had some "wait" issues.

Indeed, Aunt Lily, I got the same two emails from Fashion Bug and Lane Bryant, and was only mildly surprised when I saw two other affiliates of the plus sized niche sending me email This Morning for the Memorial Day Weekend specials they want me to promote. I checked with my mail center - no delays there - the emails are dated today.

Are we expecting too much of overworked people?

I'm new to Affiliate Marketing...it's a little unnerving to think that they can't track...YIKES....BTW I am a wife and don't give blank stares but get them back LOL
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    I have always felt that Lane Bryant had some "wait" issues.
    Not even touching that one..

But, I do find that in my niche, affiliate marketing is a 'small side project' of the marketing dept, it often simply doesn't get enough love.

It does feel a bit Wild West at times, that's for sure.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I fault the networks when there is downtime that long, too. They should be monitoring things closer. They have access to far more data than we do, yet it's usually us affiliates who find the tracking problems.
    There is whole lot truth to the above. Networks does a sloppy job of enforcing merchant quality and this applies to almost all networks out there

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Be thankful that they notified you and didn't wait for you to complain. Servers burp, tracking goes down and stuff happens. I am so tired of in house system snafus but sometimes the margins prohibit moving to a network. Networks lose money when tracking breaks too.

It takes a lot of work to dig through the data to estimate lost commissions based on click traffic when tracking goes down. If it happens once in a blue moon then accept it but if it happens more than once a year I would ***** about it.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Be thankful that they notified you and didn't wait for you to complain. Servers burp, tracking goes down and stuff happens. I am so tired of in house system snafus but sometimes the margins prohibit moving to a network. Networks lose money when tracking breaks too.

It takes a lot of work to dig through the data to estimate lost commissions based on click traffic when tracking goes down. If it happens once in a blue moon then accept it but if it happens more than once a year I would ***** about it.
    Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug aren't exactly small operations....so I expect alot more from them, than some of the small indies I work with.

But your comments made me rethink my position. So the links are back.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Make sure you let the AM know and leave a voicemail to be more effective. Personally, I screen all my calls unless I recognize the number because of the volume of solicitations I get daily. So that means I listen to every message and jump on affiliate calls since they are few and far between. So, you will get a rush to know that your message was listen to even when not returned. Better yet leave it with another department so it gets forward and two people hear it.

Agree that what happened isn't exactly what affiliates like to hear, but will say that Herschel who's in charge with them is very professional, very responsive and a very nice affiliate manager. Definitely have had my unhappiness with LB, too but I'd give the benefit of the doubt to them, too.

As an affiliate who relies on coupons, etc. they've always got the entire links in emails, codes, exact starting dates, ending dates, anything relevant to the offer is always included. They mail them in plenty of time, even email a reminder when they've ended.

Things like this don't happen very much with them, in the past they have compensated if there's been a problem, where unfortunately I suspect it happens much more frequently with other programs that we never are aware of. (Not sure but only remember one other time having a problem)

I've corresponded with him several times and always received a response and has always been ready to offer help, so definitely would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Again, definitely not makin excuses for what happened, nobody likes this sorta thing to happen. Definitely understand your frustration with it happening and definitely not tryin to tell you how to run your business... but would definitely suggest giving them the benefit of the doubt.

ABW Ambassador
    Purplebear you've got to be one of the sweetest people in the whole world. (But what should I expect from a person whose avatar is a teddy bear!)

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread