2 Cents [Participation Requested]
    I was interested in trying out something that boosts everyone's creative thinking a bit. If you decide to play, it can keep you sharp while writing copy for your websites or letters to your affiliates. The rules are simple:

"2 Cents"

1) You can only post once every 24 hours.

2) Two sentences per post.

3) Be creative.

4) The regular rules of ABW (no spamming, no attacking other members, etc.)

5) I guess I also should note that (if this turns into something) all submissions are not to be published elsewhere without permission of the posters and ABW.

The goal here is to write a story together. In order to do it effectively, you have to read and remember the posts prior to yours.

Let's give it a try and see how it goes:

The last shuttle to the airport was one that should have never left the parking lot. It was already going to be a horrible night and then this piece of mechanical garbage gave its final puff.
    Last edited by sfcom; May 22nd, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    The goal here is to write a story together. In order to do it effectively, you have to read and remember the posts prior to yours.
    Oh boy a GAME!

Let's give it a try and see how it goes:

The last shuttle to the airport was one that should have never left the parking lot. It was already going to be a horrible night and then this piece of mechanical garbage gave its final puff.
    The passengers were tired from travel, anxious to get home to their families but it was not to be. As they sat patiently while stranded in bumper to bumper traffic, a grating tremor rocked the vehicle.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

The last shuttle to the airport was one that should have never left the parking lot. It was already going to be a horrible night and then this piece of mechanical garbage gave its final puff. The passengers were tired from travel, anxious to get home to their families but it was not to be. As they sat patiently while stranded in bumper to bumper traffic, a grating tremor rocked the vehicle.
    As if on cue, people on the street and in their cars started screaming as the asphalt and concrete below them started to violently jerk back and forth. What scientists had predicted for decades was just beginning, and believe it or not, these weary travelers, a disjointed band of strangers, were about to become united for life in the fight of their lives.

Jim

arghhhhh I can't post again until tomorrow! LOL

Good addition Jim!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    arghhhhh I can't post again until tomorrow! LOL

Good addition Jim!
    `

Thanks, Rexanne.

I saw you post right after me, and was about to chide you on the 24 hour rule....LOL

arghhhhh from this side, too! I already have a whole story formulating in my head, but I am sure this will take a twist and turn many times as more people participate. This will be fun.

Only 23 hours and 50 minutes until my next two sentences!

Jim

In the midst of the strangers is a little girl in a yellow flowered dress who stared intently at a bus beginning to topple into a fiery crevasse formed by the rending of the asphalt. She was unknown and unnoticed by those around her, but being possessed with remarkable powers she focused her concentration on the careening vehicle, extended her arms toward the screaming passengers, and...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

fell into the hole - broke her neck - and died.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    fell into the hole - broke her neck - and died.
    Then Thomas woke up and said, "wow, what a terrible dream". He then turned on the news and saw...

Two suggestions... if we really try to have two quality sentences, the game will probably have really great (and readable) results. Games that work by building half-sentences or phrases tend to get very silly very quickly.

The other suggestion would be, maybe once a day, all the sentences could be collected and posted as a single unit. That way, posts like this one won't wholly disrupt the process

[edit]Plus, once this thing starts to get up to five, ten, twenty pages, people aren't going to want to click through all that to read the story... it would be better to have a full recap periodically, I think.[/edit]
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Actually... third suggestion... how about a couple of people volunteer to be editors? Like, once a day, all the submissions are gathered up and put together and properly edited, like would happen in preparation for publication.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I did that after the first two contributions before I added my contribution. I think it is a good idea. I would volunteer, but I am leaving this afternoon to sell our products at a show in upstate NY and won't be back until late Sunday. Unfortunately, I won't have access to a computer, so I'll miss two days of the story.

Jim

Oh I want to play.....but can we take it back before the whole then he died and woke up stuff?

That was why I brought up the idea of having editors, to be honest.

[edit]I've put the summary below. If people want to go the short route and do the broke her neck and died and someone woke up from a dream... well, it's not my thread [/edit]
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

The last shuttle to the airport was one that should have never left the parking lot. It was already going to be a horrible night and then this piece of mechanical garbage gave its final puff. The passengers were tired from travel, anxious to get home to their families but it was not to be. As they sat patiently while stranded in bumper to bumper traffic, a grating tremor rocked the vehicle. As if on cue, people on the street and in their cars started screaming as the asphalt and concrete below them started to violently jerk back and forth. What scientists had predicted for decades was just beginning, and believe it or not, these weary travelers, a disjointed band of strangers, were about to become united for life in the fight of their lives.

In the midst of the strangers is a little girl in a yellow flowered dress who stared intently at a bus beginning to topple into a fiery crevasse formed by the rending of the asphalt. She was unknown and unnoticed by those around her, but being possessed with remarkable powers she focused her concentration on the careening vehicle, extended her arms toward the screaming passengers, and...
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I started this as a collaborative effort that would show what we are capable of doing as a team. Obviously, some members here are at different typing, grammar, and creativity levels than others but I am not going to ask that they don't participate because of it. The point is to improve on your skills. This activity will help everyone who participates in it do just that.

I like what DMC has to say about posting everything as a nice chunk every day or so. If we can get a few people to volunteer, then we can do that. There doesn't have to be any set schedule.

Please post in two complete sentences. If the story isn't going where you wanted it to, understand that this is part of the process. Put your own spin on it when it is your turn.

Try your best. That is all I ask. None of us were born with writing skills.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    The last shuttle to the airport was one that should have never left the parking lot. It was already going to be a horrible night and then this piece of mechanical garbage gave its final puff. The passengers were tired from travel, anxious to get home to their families but it was not to be. As they sat patiently while stranded in bumper to bumper traffic, a grating tremor rocked the vehicle. As if on cue, people on the street and in their cars started screaming as the asphalt and concrete below them started to violently jerk back and forth. What scientists had predicted for decades was just beginning, and believe it or not, these weary travelers, a disjointed band of strangers, were about to become united for life in the fight of their lives.

... a bright white light emanated from her arms. Only one passenger, an elderly man, not quick to panic over impending death, watched as the little girl focused all her energy on the sinking bus.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

For this man, the powers that the little girl possessed were all too familiar. His prior service as an Altrador brought back memories of saving countless lives in situations just like this.

ABW Ambassador
    What is Altrador? I typed that in and Google says do you mean Altador, which has something to do with Neopets.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For this man, the powers that the little girl possessed were all too familiar. His prior service as an Altrador brought back memories of saving countless lives in situations just like this.
    Suddenly he realized the bright white light wasn't coming *from* the girl at all--it was going TO her. She was harvesting the souls of those who had already fallen to their doom, and now she was greedily preparing to absorb those souls which would soon be coming from the bus!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

In the midst of the strangers is a little girl in a yellow flowered dress who stared intently at a bus beginning to topple into a fiery crevasse formed by the rending of the asphalt. She was unknown and unnoticed by those around her, but being possessed with remarkable powers she focused her concentration on the careening vehicle, extended her arms toward the screaming passengers as a bright white light emanated from her arms.

Only one passenger, an elderly man, not quick to panic over impending death, watched as the little girl focused all her energy on the sinking bus. For this man, the powers that the little girl possessed were all too familiar. His prior service as an Altrador brought back memories of saving countless lives in situations just like this. Suddenly he realized the bright white light wasn't coming *from* the girl at all--it was going TO her. She was harvesting the souls of those who had already fallen to their doom, and now she was greedily preparing to absorb those souls which would soon be coming from the bus!
    It was now obvious that the little girl was not an Altrador, but she instead was a Xaryx, an evil soul-harvesting being that unveils itself in disastrous situations. The old man was going to need all of the power he had and more to defeat the Xaryx, although he had an idea as to what would make her leave quickly.

I guess this was a failure. I thought it would be fun. It would probably work better in a forum that didn't have 100,000 threads. lol.

If anyone wants to keep it going, just post. If not, I'm gonna let it die.

-sfcom

I guess this was a failure. I thought it would be fun. It would probably work better in a forum that didn't have 100,000 threads. lol.

If anyone wants to keep it going, just post. If not, I'm gonna let it die.

-sfcom
    It was a very fun idea - just not enough time in our lives to write a novel. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    We clould always merge it with the "cancel" thread!! LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread