ABW Ambassador
    ***popcorn***
    AMC, which has about 290 theaters in the USA, on Friday will jack up some concession items such as , ice cream and pretzels by 25 cents to, for example, $4.75, $5.75 and $6.75 for bags of corn.

As long as they don't raise ticket prices, I'm okay with that. I can forgo the snacks

On a related note, has anyone noticed how damn big the snacks are? At the theater here, a Regal, the medium soft drink is like, 60 ounces or something. It's insane.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    If a theatre can't make enough money selling for $4.50 something's wrong.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    As long as they don't raise ticket prices, I'm okay with that. I can forgo the snacks
    I'm NOT okay with that. My kids want the snacks. For a family of 4, going to the movies costs about $75.

There are a few topics here that are be related. Between the costs for a family to go to the movies, or to go to a ball game, football, hockey, or basketball game, and to put gas in the car, you can't even go out anymore.

On top of it all, I get charged 3 bucks to take out some cash from the ATM. We are being nickel and dimed (and quartered) to death. It all adds up.

Yeah, we are being nickle and dimed, everywhere you turn. Gotta earn quarters, I guess!

Ok let's be honest...who sneaks snacks into the theater? I bought a special coat at the Goodwill that has tons of pockets inside. If I could sit next to an electrical outlet, I could probably smuggle my slow cooker in there and serve a pot roast dinner during the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    I'm NOT okay with that. My kids want the snacks. For a family of 4, going to the movies costs about $75.
    Movie tickets for family of 4 - $32
    Giant Tub of Popcorn for the kids - $8.50
    Box of Goobers for each of the kids - $11

Being unable to say "NO" to your kids because they "WANT THE SNACKS" - Priceless

Yes, we'll sneak in snacks in - but you GOTTA HAVE the hot buttered .

AMC by us has a special: 2 large sodas and a large Popcorn - $19.95

Yeah, they're BIG and we can satisfy 4 people with that, but it doesn't justify
    a 2000% markup.

BTW, SODA is probably provides the biggest profit margins for these places and restaurants.

Our AMC offers kids pack for 5.75 - a drink, , & candy.....also we typically do the sneak in thing and if we buy, we buy the HUGE tub of which comes with free refills, get cups and all share....the same with the free refills on the HUGE cup of pop....

so:
    tickets for the movies 1 adult - 4 students - $41
    Popcorn and drinks - $15.75
    plus the candy we snuck in - $5.00

it still adds up to a whopping - $61.75

But sadly that is still LESS then what it takes to fill up my van - $68

Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    Yeah, they're BIG and we can satisfy 4 people with that, but it doesn't justify
    a 2000% markup.

BTW, SODA is probably provides the biggest profit margins for these places and restaurants.
    Movie theaters only make a percentage of the actual ticket sales price, and that percentage can be anywhere from 20% to 70% - it IS concession sales that keep them in business. So the markup is to keep the theatre in your neighborhood....

I gotta say... look, I'm not being judgmental, and I'm not calling anyone a bad parent or saying... whatever... and I'm not going to be snarky about it.

A movie lasts anywhere from 80-90 minutes to 2 hours, maybe two and a half. I can understand wanting to have a drink. I can understand wanting to have some , because heck, it's tradition if nothing else. What I don't understand is people spending almost a hundred bucks to take a family of four to a two hour movie. That's crazy. I say, let the theaters keep raising the prices on concession. People will either pay and complain (and nothing will change) or they won't pay and the theaters will lose money and drop the prices. Simple as that. They raise the prices because they can. Because people keep paying them. We should be able to sit in the theater for two hours without 60 ounces of Coke and a pound of overpriced . Not to mention that nobody needs to eat a giant box of Twizzlers in one sitting.

So yeah, when my two-year-old is old enough to take to the movies, and when the fetus grows up and we take him/her as well, we will not be paying exorbitant prices for concession. We'll say no. I'm not saying I'm a better parent or that anyone is doing anything wrong. We just aren't willing to take out a second mortgage so that the kids can eat junk food
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I was told - back when I lived in LA - that theaters get NO money for pictures for the first 2 weeks. (maybe it was just the first week)

After that, they get a cut.

Hence, high prices on snacks, as that's the ONLY money they make for the first 2 weeks.

I am not a movie goer, only because I can't stand to sit that long, but I have to say, every time, yes EVERY TIME, I have gone to the movies, the has been stale. I know some theaters just dump big bags into the popper or that big glass coffin o' in the counter.

Another intersting tidbit - in the form of a question?

Anyone know why they hire that minimum wage person who rips the tickets in half after you purchase them? Why don't they same money and rip them in half as you purchase them - and save on employee expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Another intersting tidbit - in the form of a question?

Anyone know why they hire that minimum wage person who rips the tickets in half after you purchase them? Why don't they same money and rip them in half as you purchase them - and save on employee expenses?
    If they didn't have that position then what would you aspire to do Billy????

They need a gatekeeper, especially in the multiplexes. Kinda like having a person at the gate, past Security, at airports.

That's the only thing I can think of why they would need someone like that. /shrug
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC

So yeah, when my two-year-old is old enough to take to the movies, and when the fetus grows up and we take him/her as well, we will not be paying exorbitant prices for concession. We'll say no. I'm not saying I'm a better parent or that anyone is doing anything wrong. We just aren't willing to take out a second mortgage so that the kids can eat junk food
    HecticDMC, I don't know you and you may be true to your word, but my response is "we'll see".

We want our children experience what we did when we were kids - and have more of everything. Whether it's Popcorn at the movies or cracker jacks at the ball game, we WILL open up that wallet. Sometimes these little moments in life make up for the ridiculous prices.

How much does a movie bring in - 500 million dollars?

And it's all in cash

In small unmarked bills

That pimply-faced kid earning 5 bucks an hour is the only thing keeping the theater employees honest and making sure Warner Bros actually gets their $500,000,000

It only takes 5 minutes being a cashier to realize how much money you can earn if you only rang up 1/2 the theater going public for tickets

The only reason we actually go to the movie theater is the . We can see virtually any movie we want in the comfort of our own home. So we either count a first-run show and the associated rip-off as an evening out (which often costs us between $50-100) or we scope out the matinees, the $1 theaters or the downtown outdoor movie night. Our choice totally depends on the experience we're after, but it's usually all about the and the trans fat we squirt on the top.

When the kids were young (and we had more than a few), we either didn't go or we went to the drive-in where homemade , cookie sheet pizza and a couple of dollars each for a trip to the candy counter was what they got. I certainly realize that those choices aren't available everywhere anymore.

But when our kids were small we also didn't have the options for passive entertainment available: cable, satellite, dvds, dvd players in the headrest, portable dvd players, etc. As a nation, we spend more $$$ to watch little bitty movies on little bitty phones than we'll ever spend on and soda.

/geezer rant

I'm cheap (except when it comes to steak). I seldom buy food or drinks at entertainment places with such huge markups (movie theaters, sporting events, amusement parks). We go to Texas Rangers games a few times a year, and they let you bring outside food and drink (no glass, cans, or alcohol and only soft-sided coolers under a certain size). I can bring enough hot dogs and drinks to feed 20 people as it costs to feed 2.

We have a couple chains around here (Movie Tavern and Studio Movie Grill) that serve real meals (burgers and pizzas mainly) and give you more space. Their tickets are about the same price (maybe even $0.25 or $0.50 cheaper). Popcorn and drinks there are usually a little cheaper than the normal theaters, too. The food is a little more expensive and not quite as good as a standalone restaurant, but it's a nice alternative.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

-sigh-

I wish I could gouge all of you for a 2,000% margin on my tarps. I mean, I like y'all, but c'mon, that's 2000%! I'd be earning, like, Brian Littleton income, there, almost, lol.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread