forum spammers - how to deal with 'em
    I have gone to forum spam ban list sites and have done my best to ban ip addresses and *@spammeremail.com email addresses. I even have a verification image code they have to enter (case sensitive), and have turned to admin. activation only instead of the user clicking on the confirmation email link. AND, they come at me even harder than before! argh!

I have a web host that has the install procedure in place for the phpbb (2.0). I am not knowledgable about phpmyadmin/mysyql and definitely need a dummy friendly interface. I am no where as capable, as of now, to putting into place the special registration/posting policies/measures that Haiko has in place here at ABW. I wish I did.

Having said that, I have two questions;
    1. With the image verification code in place are my spammers human or is there a bot that is able to work around that part of the registration?
    2. I have been vigilante and have decreased the amount of spam registrations significantly but sill have more than I would like. Is there something I can do that wil be more effective than the ip and host name bans?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    The one thing that worked like a charm on my forum was adding an "Are you a real person" prompt when a new member signs up. They have to check either "yes" or "no" and that killed 99% of spam posts.

I don't know how it was implemented as I don't handle the back end of stuff but it certainly cut spam off overnight.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks! However, I don't know what to do on the back end to make that happen. I can build forms, but just have not figured out how to do that on my phpbb forum.

That is a great idea! I thought the image verification code (captcha) that comes as an option I can select in the admin section.

Banning ip addresses is generally a waste of time. Most of these "bots" use many ips so you can drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with them.

First, I suggest you upgrade to ver 3. It's a bit more secure.
    Captcha should take care of most of the spam. For what's left, look at the MODs - there is something there called "registration code" or something. Just an added measure of protection. The mods come with instructions, so follow them carefully.
    If you ever use a mod that changes your database, back it up first.

Make sure they cannot sign up unless they confirm their email address. Then if you find spam from that user, at least you can ban that email address.

Finally, take some time to learn phpmyadmin. It's worth it.

Thanks for the advice.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    The one thing that worked like a charm on my forum was adding an "Are you a real person" prompt when a new member signs up.
    Yeah - I know!! I didn't know how to answer that question...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

My forum got so much spam I had to shut it down. It was a nightmare!

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Trying adding two layers of protection. Like the "2+3=" and captcha. Adding more than one verification method usually does the trick. Also make new accounts confirm signing up by checking their email and clicking on a link. This will kill a lot more spammers.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

ABW Ambassador
    "My forum got so much spam I had to shut it down. It was a nightmare! "

My wife had a forum built and shut it done for the same reason.

Since it was shut down with only the mod forum open with NO POSTS, she has 1,303 new members. Russian BOTS

http and a telephoto
    Hey Chris D, members are reporting that you are bumping a lot of old threads. Can you pay attention somewhat to what the dates are on the threads you are replying to please?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread