ABW Ambassador
    Using the title attribute or the alt attribute
    Does anyone use the title attribute as well as using the alt attribute?

I was testing a page in Firefox, and didn't realize that Firefox doesn't show the alt text. Then I found out that you should use the title attribute for adding text to an image (or link)

I have always used the alt attribute for the text. Does anyone use both? Does it matter? I know that alt text can be considered in SEO, but is the title attribute important?

You should use both. The alt text was never supposed to be shown, as I recall, it was only supposed to be there for use by screen readers. Firefox, I believe, is doing it right.

Anyway, yeah, definitely use both if you can. There's no harm in it, it's good for SEO, and it's easy enough just to duplicate the text and change the "alt=" to "title=".
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    I always use them both.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Here's something I tried once. Not really sure if it did me any good though.

I copied the product title to the alt tag and I copied the product description to the title tag.

I was a little nervous as I thought it might be spammy. Opinions?

I use both, but I was reading last week that Google has begun giving special attention to use other than as a "caption". I did not get back to finish reading about it yet but it was in their webmaster guidelines updates. I usually have the product name in the title tag but sometimes have used it as 'promotional text' (ie "Best Place to Get Your Widgets!") , and I need to find out if that's what they were harping about.

I use alt tags not title tags and my SEO does not seem to have suffered. Page one in google SERPs for several keywords for about a year now

My SEO mainly is focused on updated content and backlinks

I only use alt tags just in case my images don't load

Trying to keyword stuff using alt and title and all manner of things I have found does not really work. Funny that the stomper guys seem to agree with this
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Use both. There is no benefit to not using them. Anyway, they serve different functions.

ABW Ambassador
    I always include them regardless of the prevailing Google or other search enegine theory, because these change continually.

It's easier to put them in at the initial design than retrofit after the fact.

Rhea - I don't think that's spammy at all, it's useful info consumers are looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by niche
    I use alt tags not title tags and my SEO does not seem to have suffered.
    Perhaps not, but nobody is suggesting that you will be penalized for using both. You may not be suffering, but you may not be getting every little bit of juice there, either.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

alt is to be displayed if the image is broken
    title displays a tooltip.

alt shouldn't display a tooltip but in IE it does.

Since we're on this subject, I have little navigation icons at the top of the page filled with both alt and title tags. They are for things like "my account, log in, log out, my cart, etc".

The alt tags specify as such, but they are not "keywords" and I can't figure out how I would even use a keyword in such a navigation image. One alt tag is simply "log in"

Bottom line, they are at the top of the page, and when doing to seo analysis, it's reading these alt tags, and providing feedback that these tags have no relevance (to the main content of the page and keywords of course.

What is the proper way to go about this? I need the alt tags, but don't want them spidered.

thanks

Don't worry about it. Use them the way they're meant to be used, and don't worry about what some person/site/tool says about their relevance to the page. They're not supposed to be relevant to the page, they're supposed to be relevant to the image. You're not going to be penalized by Google for using "log in" for the alt attribute of a login button image - and you'll be helping the people with screen readers or their images turned off to navigate your site.

If you stuffed your attributes with keywords that had nothing to do with the images but were "good" for SEO purposes, you might get a very slight bump from Google, but you'd be driving away the visitors that rely on those attributes to understand what's what.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

use both

ALT is for browsers with no image support ie: spiders etc
    Title is for when the image is broken.

if you notice if you just have the alt tag no tool tip is generated (only in IE is one generated) but if you have a title a tooltip is generated (and in IE it uses the title instead of the alt if there are both).

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread