Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rosetta Stone Stupidity
    We are in the process of cleaning up our affiliate program and have made the decision to expire all publishers that show no revenue activity over the past three months. You are receiving this email because your account falls under within the inactive category.

If you would like to continue your affiliation with Rosetta Stone and have plans to activate, please contact us. We would be happy to re-evaluate our decision.

Best Regards,

Rosetta Stone Affiliate Manager
    Way to go Lena...

Kick out inactive affiliates that have no negative impact on your program, as no clicks were being driven.

I was contemplating doing a campaign for some Rosetta Stone products, but I guess I'll just find another merchant to use now. Kicking out dormant CJPs (let alone any other affiliate) is definitely not the way to go.

I found it funny, they kept bugging me to join and put them up. I told them I didnt' think they would fit in well on my site. I did join and now they terminate me.

Terminating flamingoworld isn't something a knowledgeable AM would do, that's for sure.

Lena (or whoever manages Rosetta Stone's program - he or she had the foresight not to sign a name to the termination letter) is also oblivious about the affiliate who's been squatting on their TM with their URL for months (Rosetta Language Software
    www.RosettaStone.com Fastest Learning Course, Guaranteed Used by NASA, FBI, 10,000 Schools.), or the 3 other affiliates who are currently breaking the policy on Google.

I wasn't in the program that long, hadn't had time to even try to optimize. I would have thought an email saying hey, anything we can do to get you to push us more, better placements, do you need anything etc would have come before a termination.

Joshua, why post a direct link to this merchant ??
    i don't want to do stupid thing

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Pardon if this sounds dumb (it is the end of a long day...) but if you weren't driving any clicks or actively promoting them, regardless of your CJP status, why do you care that they're clearing you out? I'd only give a crap if I was actually making money off the program... in which case they wouldn't be clearing you out anyway.

I do agree that you'd think a courtesy email to the CJPs is in order rather than blanketing them in with every other lame affiliate, but... meh...just my 2 cents... seems like there are bigger injustices than this.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Pardon if this sounds dumb (it is the end of a long day...) but if you weren't driving any clicks or actively promoting them, regardless of your CJP status, why do you care that they're clearing you out? I'd only give a crap if I was actually making money off the program... in which case they wouldn't be clearing you out anyway.

I do agree that you'd think a courtesy email to the CJPs is in order rather than blanketing them in with every other lame affiliate, but... meh...just my 2 cents... seems like there are bigger injustices than this.
    What if you had a a site idea for their products, all planned out with a registered domain name, but it was #20 on your list of new stuff to do, which you figured on getting to by around November?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I had some sales in January. It isn't like I haven't had any. We have been busy revamping our site and we didn't even have all our planned placements up yet. With more specializes merchants like them sometimes you have to play around with them to see what works.
    And I really wouldn't mind had they not asked several times to get me to join.

>> weren't driving any clicks or actively promoting them

the fact is they are not removing really inactive affiliates
    they are get rid of all those active but no sales yet or no sales recently affiliates

so you wasted time set up their links in the past and
    u have to spend time to remove those links from your sites now

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    And I really wouldn't mind had they not asked several times to get me to join.
    And at Affiliate Summit or CJU, they'll probably try to get you to join again, totally oblivious to the fact that they terminated you. I've had it happen too many times to count.

What are merchants going to figure out that terminating inactive affiliates is one of the most stupid things they can do?

I've been toying around with an idea for an Affiliate Summit Session titled "The #N# Biggest Mistakes Affiliate Managers Can Make (And What They Should Do Instead)". Terminating Inactives would probably be #1 on my list.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Pardon if this sounds dumb (it is the end of a long day...) but if you weren't driving any clicks or actively promoting them, regardless of your CJP status, why do you care that they're clearing you out?
    If I'm developing a new site or campaign, I care. Hell, it would have been better to terminate me and not send me a reason... I could pretty easily call Rosetta Stone on Tuesday, and get reactivated, but it's the principle. If the merchant pulls stupid stunts like this, what sort of responsiveness can I expect from them when I need a hand? Their AM has been extremely unresponsive to me in the past when I've tried to get information, but I thought I'd put it aside to try and develop a campaign - Not sure I'll think the same in the future.

Maybe a merchant will reconsider for a CJP, but for a smaller publisher? I don't think so.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but 2 weeks after I originally signed up for Rosetta Stone's program (over a year ago), I received a newsletter mentioning that they were going to start deactivating inactive affiliates. I sent an email back stating my opinion (pretty much identical to Michael's) on deactivating affiliates, and Lena wrote back assuring me that they were only going after affiliates inactive over 6 months, and completely ignoring my other points.

There's a large thread just about this topic at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=101434 - Having been on the merchant side myself, I can say that there's absolutely no advantage to cleaning out inactive affiliates, and in fact, is only a downside.

When you get your site up and running, and start sending traffic to Rosetta, I'm quite sure they'll reinstate your account.

I'm willing to bet that 90%+ of the affiliates they just 'terminated' wouldn't end up sending them any traffic within the next 12 months..

This does annoy me. I use the API for a shopping site, and my own contextual ad service, and need to be a member of a good number of merchants to offer choice to my visitors. Maybe one day I'll be blogging about "learning language" and need a relevant ad. For affiliates who work in this contextual way it certainly doesn't help the merchant if they terminate inactive affiliates because you never know when an affiliate is going to need you.

Code Monkey: Nobody is going to send traffic to a merchant who just terminated them, it will just go to their competitor.

>> Nobody is going to send traffic to a merchant who just terminated them, it will just go to their competitor.

yes, true
    traffic stop after relationship ended

as i don't understand what Code Monkey said

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    If you would like to continue your affiliation with Rosetta Stone and have plans to activate, please contact us.
    If you are about to start a campaign, or have a plan for the merchant, seems like they've certainly left the door open to just drop them a line and continue.

Sometimes sending out a termination notice is the only way to get an affiliate attention. I've often sent out "hey how can we help you optimize? can we send you an exclusive coupon? custom creative?" notes to affiliates that never get a response.

Perhaps if I did send a termination notice, then I would get a response?

Like Tricia said....don't really see the big deal here if you're not active. And if you are active, or have a plan to do so....I think simply dropping a note back to the manager would go a long way.

Funny how some affiliates take business tactics as such a personal affront sometimes.
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    I can see both sides. That it could make sense as an affiliate manager to send out a termination e-mail. However, from an affiliate point of view, it just can seem like a threat.
    I personally have so many projects, that if a merchant does terminate me, I just brush it off, and it is their loss.

If I was planning on doing something for the merchant, then maybe I would contact them. I suppose it depends on the merchant, and how far up they were on my to do list (seems to get bigger every day)

There are thousands of merchants with affiliate programs. We may never get to even look at some merchants, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAMWSO
    Funny how some affiliates take business tactics as such a personal affront sometimes.
    It's not really personal, except for the fact that I've had email conversations with Lena in the past about this policy, and have been ignored (in addition to having my other questions ignored, which according to other posts here is not a rare instance). Other than that, getting terminated for inactivity shows me what programs are being mismanaged.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAMWSO
    Perhaps if I did send a termination notice, then I would get a response?
    Yep, you might get a few who actually contact you and get on the ball, but you'll get hundreds who abandon the plans they had for you (or promote a competitor instead). A much better option is to try to get them active.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Way to go Lena...
    To be fair... looks like Lena is not part of the RosettaStone program anymore according to her public profile on LinkedIn... http://www.linkedin.com/in/lenahuang

Active affiliates are not safe either
    I got this email too, and I have generated sales for them and continued to generate sales. I guess they don't want revenue producing affiliates in their program either.

Quote Originally Posted by -CJAFF-
    To be fair... looks like Lena is not part of the RosettaStone program anymore according to her public profile on LinkedIn... http://www.linkedin.com/in/lenahuang
    I guess this thing is a company-wide policy? I assumed it was Lena's doing, as she had threatened this in the past, and was the manager as of a month ago.

Got this today, but gee I am too busy with other things to add any links back.

Iím reaching out to you to inform you that due to a system error your account was accidently expired from the Rosetta Stone Affiliate Program. This was an oversight and we are taking the appropriate steps to reinstate you into the program. Please make sure you accept the new program terms waiting for you!

We value our relationship and hope you can understand that this was an error on our part and had nothing to do with your efforts within the program. Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Merchants who pay attention should heed the advice here.

There are many of us who do fairly well at this that have a laundry list of sites in development. You might be on one of those lists.

As affiliates, I can tell you, there are definitely no shortage of ideas for new sites to build.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Talking Recieved that oversight email too!
    I got that email too. I probably wouldn't accept the new terms. There are plenty of other language software merchants that I plan to promote.

Good Writtens Rosetta Stone!
    From a revenue producing affiliate.

>> too busy with other things to add any links back.

yes , after you add back the links a while

they will initiate another clean up

i hit the expire button to end the relationship instantly before waiting the 7 days period

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast