NY or Overseas?
    Well a main merchant just sent the dreaded drop notice. Here's my question.

I reside overseas for most of the year. When I'm in the states, I'm in NYS at my folks, near the Mass. border but not over it.

I'm considering changing my country of residence on CJ and the rest. Will this solve the problem, or create new ones of a larger nature?

If you don't maintain a "permanent place of abode" there, it doesn't sound like they consider you a New York State resident. From the TSB:
    A New York State resident for sales tax purposes includes, but is not limited to:
    • any individual who maintains a permanent place of abode in New York State; and
    • any corporation incorporated under the laws of New York, and any corporation, association, partnership or other entity doing business or maintaining a place of business, or operating a hotel, place of amusement or social or athletic club in New York State. ( See Sales and Use Tax Regulations Section 526.15.)
    On the other hand, it says "but is not limited to", so who knows.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Well, I would think you would be determined as not resident in NYS for state tax purposes, but of course changing your country in CJ's interface could turn you into a leper.

thats what i'm afraid of. what do merchants think of us citizens residing overseas?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Earth Class Mail:
    http://www.earthclassmail.com/

By the way, they also have an aff program.

:-)

What will they think up next.

And to my question, which is worse - NY resident or US citizen abroad? What will keep me in the programs?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    What will they think up next.
    This is not a new thing. My father used a service like this back in the 50's. It was like having a store front in various places, but without the physical presence. Actually, I think that Mail Box stores will provied a mail forwarding service for a fee.

Technically, your residency status is determined by where you file your income tax.

Then again.....maybe your business is where ever your websites are hosted........
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    Well a main merchant just sent the dreaded drop notice. Here's my question.

I reside overseas for most of the year. When I'm in the states, I'm in NYS at my folks, near the Mass. border but not over it.

I'm considering changing my country of residence on CJ and the rest. Will this solve the problem, or create new ones of a larger nature?
    Many merchants, especially those in CJ, auto-reject people who live outside of the United States. A good example of this is Ebay. They are even worse today, but they probably got the idea when they were with CJ, so if you update the interface with your TRUE overseas address, you might find fewer auto-approvals and more auto-rejections. Your address really would be your overseas address since that is where you live most of the year.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer

Then again.....maybe your business is where ever your websites are hosted........
    Normally you have to either live somewhere for most of the year, have a bank account, register for an official ID, or register a business to have residency in a state however each state (and country) has its own regulations to determine what makes you a resident.

I've never heard of the location of your hosting account as being enough. You are only paying for a service. That would be like buying something from Amazon and then being told you are a resident of the same state that Amazon has its offices.

hazlcha -

I imagine you live not too far away from me.

To answer most of your questions:
    1. You Have no Tax nexus with good old Empire State.
    2. A lot of networks don't like overseas affiliates, as they've been frauded/scammed a lot (especially the CPA networks).
    3. Advice: Get a mail forwarding address in a state that doesn't have any sales tax (Delaware, Nevada, a few others come to mind).

Good Luck.

Ari

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Technically, your residency status is determined by where you file your income tax.
    Not true. You pay income tax where you reside, and in every other state (that has a state income tax) where you earn an income.

As an example, consider the so-called "Jock Tax" - Professional athletes must pay state income tax to every state in which they play and earn any part of their salary. Thus major league baseball players have to file tax returns in every state in which their team plays.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

As an example, consider the so-called "Jock Tax" - Professional athletes must pay state income tax to every state in which they play and earn any part of their salary. Thus major league baseball players have to file tax returns in every state in which their team plays.
    Wow. I didn't know that.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Earth Class Mail:
    http://www.earthclassmail.com/

By the way, they also have an aff program.

:-)
    Unfortunately, won't work for a lot of us excluded from eBay's EPN as you have to have a bank account in the same country as your "residence".

So much for being a global company.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    In terms of whether you would be better off as a foreign affiliate in CJ, it depends on where you are considering listing yourself. Unfortunately, I think some countries are more biased against in CJ (3rd and 2nd world countries) while many in the UK, Japan, etc. I don' think are biased against. Many programs, as someone mentioned, will auto-decline certain countries so you should make sure to check the program descriptions of a lot of your bigger programs you want to join to make sure that where you live is not one of those they auto-decline (most merchants if they auto-decline countries *should* include that in their program description so that you know if you are declined for that reason, you can petition to re-review your application individually).
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread