Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dropped off affiliaite program for being too sucessful?
    I was an affiliate for a major merchant through CJ. In november I happened to rank in google for 10 of the top 15 places for one of their products as a result I sold $250,000 of items for them.. (at 8% commission) whoohooo I though to myself. I actually out ranked them I had the top 3 positions they had 4thand they have a very very large marketing budget.

Except they sold out in about 5 days ...I'd like to think i was responsible for this :-) Still I switched to links to ebay and added an ebay display to the blog page and actually made more per sale than I would have done if I'd stuck with the merchants links

Since nov/dec I have been making a few thousand dollars in sales a month on average for various products they sell but this month it stopped. I've been busy on other project so didn't check cj and found they had dropped me last month.

SO the moral of this story is Don't be too sucessful!! Or possibly, if the merchant can't keep up with demand don't switch to ebay links. Either way I do think it's quite amusing.

Luckily for me I had a backup plan and it took a few cut and pastes and I'd switched to a different merchant who sells their products.

ABW Ambassador
    There's got to be more to this story. What kind of relationship have you had with their affiliate manager? You did contact them to ask why you were dropped, right?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Okay, there are times I can resist making the pitch--and this is NOT one of them!
    a few thousand dollars in sales a month
    In november I happened to rank in google for 10 of the top 15 places for one of their products as a result I sold $250,000 of items for them..
    WOWWWW All I can say is that I assure you that *I* am not insane! THAT'S EXACTLY the kind of performance and SE mastery I've been looking for!

I've got 3 merchant sites and I can put the tracking code on any of them or all, just name it... GoodBulbs is already set up (no link on the site, though, you'd have to write me). I wasn't going to do aff marketing with the other 2, but for "a few thousand dollars a month?"

No whines from ME about being outranked in Google! Or seeing eBay on a page you're sending me $1000s of $$$ of sales from! That place needs to be hit with a big "Get Real" stick.

Except they sold out in about 5 days
    Yeah, that kind of a spike could cause some steppin' and fetchin' at first. But if my current wholesalers can't adapt, I've gotten several manufacturers trying to sell me stuff by the 1000s, and I'll be glad to say YES and have them ship it to me if the sales are there!!

The site in my sig ( www.goodbulbs.com) is the one everyone knows about, and you can contact me through the form on it. I don't give out the email here, in order to avoid spam. Please do write me!

I'd be more specific, but there are several "stealth" merchants here, and I'd prefer not to have *every* product I deal in suddenly facing a shedload of new competition...

~~~~~~

Couldn't resist the shameless plug. I'd have PM'd, but 1) You can't get PMs yet, and 2) It's against ABW TOS to use PMs or the ABW emailer for pitching anyway.

Edit--saw Snowman's response. I suspect that the merchant is smoking something. Can't be *sure* but it sure sounds like it so far...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    >>I happened to rank in google

Rank is generally a term used to describe positions in the SERPs

Sounds like you may have been bidding in adwards when you mention "marketing budget"

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    >>I happened to rank in google

Rank is generally a term used to describe positions in the SERPs

Sounds like you may have been bidding in adwards when you mention "marketing budget"

Yes rank is used in serps... thats what I meant, I only use article marketing and then sites like, hubpages, gather, thisnext, wetpaint etc..

I said that They had a large marketing budget.. my butget is just the time I spend writing articles.

ABW Ambassador
    Marketing budgets should have no impact on the SERPS.

Why didn't you respond to my questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Marketing budgets should have no impact on the SERPS.

Why didn't you respond to my questions?
    Marketing Budgets have a big impact in serps, How do you think companies get ranked?? By luck?

They pay for links pay for press releases pay to have articles written, (my wife just landed a $5000 contract for articles for a major sportswear network)

They pay for SEO .. do I need to go on.

I've never spoken to the affiliate manager, I wrote to cj and asked them to enquire for me. Actually I did reply not sure what happened by the post didn't get posted..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Never mind, I see you responded to him now...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I think this might be just jealosy and them getting pissed about who they imagine as their "property" (you) who changed links when they ran out of product.

They really should have contacted you, ordered more product and got back into it. Then ask you politely to promote other items that they have lots of, or can get lots of for a good margin.

But they didnt want to do that. Or were scared a bit of having an affiliate messing with their business too much.

Maybe they thought you switched for good.

I think the lesson here is communication both ways.....

Something isn't adding up here. An income stream like that doesn't get forgotten. If, in all the excitement of making money hand over fist for a specific product, you were spending your time trying to duplicate that success, you're then smart enough to be tracking stats, including sales.

Were you dropped for using some method forbidden by the terms? It's very hard to believe that you would be dropped for too much actual honest success.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    I think this might be just jealosy and them getting pissed about who they imagine as their "property" (you) who changed links when they ran out of product.

They really should have contacted you, ordered more product and got back into it. Then ask you politely to promote other items that they have lots of, or can get lots of for a good margin.

But they didnt want to do that. Or were scared a bit of having an affiliate messing with their business too much.

Maybe they thought you switched for good.

I think the lesson here is communication both ways.....

I don't think it's jealosy, this is a MAJOR retailer & manufacturer, probably one of the top 5 or 10 in the world and a household name.

I must make it clear though is that i am am not moaning of whinging about this I actually think it's very funny.

Because I run all my links through 1 plugin It took a matter of minutes to change all my links to another company who sell their products for them. I was also able to swap out any datafeeds quickly.

If I am trying to say anything it's be prepared and make sure you don't hand code all your links.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    Something isn't adding up here. An income stream like that doesn't get forgotten. If, in all the excitement of making money hand over fist for a specific product, you were spending your time trying to duplicate that success, you're then smart enough to be tracking stats, including sales.

Were you dropped for using some method forbidden by the terms? It's very hard to believe that you would be dropped for too much actual honest success.

Lol what is it with you guys in here.. There were no black hat methods I don't use them.

I didn't forget all about that income stream, I said I didn't check. I have numerous projects that I work on and develop . For the past month I was working 18 hours a day preparing for a product launch and on my major businesses.

Forgetting and not checking are 2 completly different things. I haven't checked my adsense account for about 6 months but that doesn't mean I don't get a nice payment from them every month. Income streams come and go you concentrate on them when they are new and developing but then you move onto other more profitable ones. If they start to decline you leave them or you work on them.

Certain types of programs are seasonal so It's no point spending all the time on them. If it was paying me $20K a month after christmas January /feb I would have been checking everyday but as i said...

1 they had run out of stock for the product.

2. Their spring/summer stock only sells about 5 percent or less than their fall winter stock, so i wasn't interested in promoting anything new until next september

3. Ebay had moved from CJ to EPN so I was making money there not cj as i didn't run anymore cj campaigns.

4. As I said since nov dec the average has been down to a couple of thousand per month obviously thats a declining trend so january may have been $4000 but march may have been $800 .. As I've said it's seasonal.

I am beginning to think I was a fool for even posting in this forum again, I'd forgotten what some of you guys can be like

ABW Ambassador
    Stick around !
    Since nobody has said it I will.
    Welcome Tommo

http and a telephoto
    I'm with Leader, you are welcome into any of my merchant programs

And yes I understand the story about being dropped for being too good, it happens. Some merchants are clueless about SEO and about affiliate marketing and think they need to punish people that rank higher than them when in fact they should be rewarding them.

Welcome to ABW.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Tommo, the reason people are questioning the setup is most AM's are not that stupid to cut a producer who is playing by the rules. Many, many, many newcomers here have similar stories and when you prod them a little bit you hear a truth they weren't telling before. We have no reason to trust you, yet.

Is your email account with CJ active and you check it? I have had merchants contact me after spikes in sales just to talk for a bit. I think they need reassurance themselves about the methods I use.

Of course there is always the clueless vp who sees where you are ranked and tells the AM to take care of it...

Chet

ps. The classes am pimping in here really is... well disgusting.

I am jumping in as well! Welcome Tommo!

and I would love to have you in my programs as well, as a matter of fact one of my programs rewards organic rankings - http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=17

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo
    I was an affiliate for a major merchant through CJ. In november I happened to rank in google for 10 of the top 15 places for one of their products as a result I sold $250,000 of items for them.. (at 8% commission).....I switched to links to ebay and added an ebay display to the blog page and actually made more per sale than I would have done if I'd stuck with the merchants links
    Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age. I'm having trouble ing your figures. eBay sales pay maybe 5% (based on listing & FV fees) commissions at most so how are you making more with eBay sales than the 8% with the merchant. Yes, I understand that any ACRUs you happen to get will up that figure but I can't imagine getting all THAT many.
    And what's more, I always get suspicious of anyone who throws around large figures like you did. Those who are successful on the level that you boast are usually pretty quiet about actual figures.
    If I'm wrong here then apologies...

X

ABW Ambassador
    I maintain there are two sides to every story. Things just don't add up here. I can't imagine for the life of me not contacting the merchant directly unless this is a CJ managed program.

And some of the things you consider marketing expenses, I don't consider marketing expenses.

I think you have a non-traditional way of running your business. It's not smart at all to not check your Adsense reports on a regular basis. If you have a sudden surge in clicks, that could indicate click fraud. You won't have a clue until you are terminated and then you won't have access to your Adsense reports.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Tommo,

In order of appearance.

I am an AM, and let's forget about your question, let me pimp my program. I know better, but... YOU MADE MONEY!!! That is important, and what is important here is that I need help.

To hell with me being upset and locking a thread claiming it went off topic because someone dared mention my being two faced about my own program... My pimping here isn't spam, because I say so! Oh hell noes! THIS IS NOT OFF TOPIC!!!!

As you can see I am an outstanding member of ABW, sure, I am spamming this thread, sure I am inattentive, don't listen to affiliates questions, don't understand questions, have no idea about anything, but you know what?!?! I POST! I POST TONS!!!! Look at my programs, JOIN!!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU NOT TRUST ME!?!?!!

Welcome to ABW Tommo.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age. I'm having trouble ing your figures. eBay sales pay maybe 5% (based on listing & FV fees) commissions at most so how are you making more with eBay sales than the 8% with the merchant. Yes, I understand that any ACRUs you happen to get will up that figure but I can't imagine getting all THAT many.
    And what's more, I always get suspicious of anyone who throws around large figures like you did. Those who are successful on the level that you boast are usually pretty quiet about actual figures.
    If I'm wrong here then apologies...

Ok this is going to be my last post here, I am not going to spend all my time jusifying my posts. It was obviously a mistake to post here.

I am truthful and i don't lie I have no reason to!

with regards to your post above do you know about the laws of supply and demand?

The item I was selling was released before christmas and featured on a very popular TV show. People saw that and wanted to buy them probably as gidts. So they went online I ranked well so they went to my site clicked the link and bought. Now the product sold out as it probably always would.

What happens when product that is in demand ise placed on ebay?? They sell for a much higher price. SO the $140 people would have paid for which i got 8% suddenly jumped to 5% of $200 $300 or even $400.

If a wife says she wants something for christmas she normally gets it!

Plus I did get a lot of ACRU's on top.

Now thats it I am not going to bother posting anymore Thanks to the people that took the post at face value, Karma to you. As to the rest of you who chose to decide i was a charlatan and telling a pack of lies , I hope you find what you are looking for.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Dang, you guys run people off quick!

don't go Tommo - really - this board is full of a diverse set of people and each of us has faced criticism here, but if you stick around you will find that there really are a great group of people here

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I maintain there are two sides to every story. Things just don't add up here. I can't imagine for the life of me not contacting the merchant directly unless this is a CJ managed program.

And some of the things you consider marketing expenses, I don't consider marketing expenses.

I think you have a non-traditional way of running your business. It's not smart at all to not check your Adsense reports on a regular basis. If you have a sudden surge in clicks, that could indicate click fraud. You won't have a clue until you are terminated and then you won't have access to your Adsense reports.

Ok I'll say one more thing... adsense click fraud protection software.. if you don't use it you aren't being prefessional...

thats it the now really

Smile
    Hi Tommo

Don't quit posting.

I, for one, would like to hear more about how you achieved the success that you did in affiliate marketing.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo
    Ok this is going to be my last post here, I am not going to spend all my time jusifying my posts. It was obviously a mistake to post here.
    Hey Tommo, don't be so thin skinned. I haven't seen a single attack or insult to you in this thread so far. I appreciate you enlightening me about your eBay sales.
    If you are above board you SHOULD have no problem answering questions.
    Sorry, this does spawn more questions in my mind though. Never mind, misread the first post. (How did you sell $250K and make $thousands when the merchant could only fill five of your orders?)
    The affiliates here are very good a analyzing things. That's what we do for a living. Don't think you can come in with grandiose claims without scrutiny!

X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast