Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Cool Amazon's message upon checkout
    Important Message
    Due to a new law recently passed by the State of New York we are required to collect NY sales taxes on taxable items sold by Amazon.com on or after June 1st, 2008. If your order is placed prior to June 1st, your Order Total may not include an estimate of NY sales taxes, but those taxes may still be charged if your order is readied for shipment on or after that date.

Then they offer you expedited service to beat the tax
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Bob thanks for info. I am sure other merchants are already updating their carts with similar messages. Amazon and other merchant not physically in NY could also add a another message and a link to tell customers to voice their concern against this NY tax through to their NY State Reps.

Why would Amazon tell it's customers to voice concerns against NY Tax when they are required by Law to pay tax on any item they purchase.

I can hear the NY Tax department telling these people. "Ok Miss Jane Doe we understand you do not want Amazon to collect tax, but can we ask you how long have you been buying online? Because we see no record in your past tax returns of you paying any Use Tax on items you may have purchased online"

I remember when NY went after Cigg smokers who were avoiding the Use Tax by buying Ciggs online.

I have a feeling NY will use the Jenkins Act or a form of it to Make Amazon or Others inform them about who purchased from them. But see then Amazon might want to collect the tax because it probably would be easier to cut a check, then to send a detailed list of every item bought on Amazon.com by NY'ers and detail who bought them.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread