More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Do Programs Dump You When Your EPC Drops?
    Since ebay moved, my EPC has dropped into the gutter. And since, several merchants have dumped me, including BackCountry. Not that I have been selling BC right and left, but I have made a few sales on my popular content-hobby-orientated canoeing site. But more than sales, I gave BC a great recommendation on my site and I have done much "good will" toward them. My feeling is that my non-targeted visitors eventually made a bunch more sales due to my glowing recommendations.

Ah, but my EPC is low. Is this why I was dumped?

Oh well, now I can replace them with one of several SAS merchants and set up some serious datafeed product pages with the FREE feeds. Something I have been considering doing for a while anyway.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    ......Oh well, now I can replace them with one of several SAS merchants and set up some serious datafeed product pages with the FREE feeds. Something I have been considering doing for a while anyway.
    Sounds like a plan. Go for it. And shame on a merchant who drops you because "other numbers" change.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Some poorly managed programs will dump affiliates if the affiliate EPC within the program is bad, but I've never heard of any dumping affiliates based on their network-wide EPC.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Some poorly managed programs will dump affiliates if the affiliate EPC within the program is bad, but I've never heard of any dumping affiliates based on their network-wide EPC.
    Actually, my merchant EPC is low too. However, as I mentioned, I am (soon to be was) probably generating some customers for them that I am not getting a commission for. I would think that would make me the "perfect" affiliate - good advertising without even having to compensate! And I didn't mind since this was basically a "fun" site for me more than anything else.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Backcountry hasn't been on CJ for a while. I think they're on Avantlink now.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Backcountry hasn't been on CJ for a while. I think they're on Avantlink now.
    No, they are still at CJ. I believe they are also at Avantlink. I just checked at CJ to verify. Here is the email I got:

Dear (Former Affiliate),

We regret to inform you that the Commission Junction advertiser Backcountry.com: incl BackcountryOutlet, Tramdock, & Dogfunk has chosen to expire its affiliation with you effective 27-May-2008.

If you would like to locate another advertiser in the network to partner with, login to your Account Manager (http://www.cj.com/login.jsp) and visit the Get Links tab.

Best Regards,

Client Services
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    They provide an email address right on their Advertiser Detail. Why don't you just ask them why you were dropped?

I've received a few of those and, on following up via email, have had them turn back around to active. Sometimes I wonder if they're just checking to see if I have a pulse. (they == various merchants, not Backcountry)

Just an update:

I contacted the AM directly and he got me back in. His explanation was that they had so many affiliates, some of which were a "bad association" with BC, that he wanted to thin the program down to just the very active affiliates. Perhaps over 1000 affiliates that he did not want to sift through one by one. He stated that he used the individual program EPC as one of the "key indicators" in choosing who to keep and who to terminate and also he kept all affiliates that he is was in frequent contact with.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread