Sitting All Day
    Working at my computer all day - like everyone else here - I find that my calves get VERY stiff when sitting in one place for more than 45 minutes.

It takes some good walking around afterwards to get to the point they were at before.

Does this happen to anyone else and anyone know why? Or maybe your back gets sore/stiff.

I have tried numerous "ergonomic" chairs but the best is a $14.99 folding chair (the type they use for seminars at hotels).

What are your experiences from sitting for long periods?

mopek

I'd suggest proactive rather than reactive. Why don't you set yourself an hourly alarm? Whenever it goes off IMMEDIATELY stop what you are doing and go for a 5-10 minute walk.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    I'd suggest proactive rather than reactive. Why don't you set yourself an hourly alarm? Whenever it goes off IMMEDIATELY stop what you are doing and go for a 5-10 minute walk.
    Something like that should work well.

I have a really nice home office (2nd floor, back of the house, private bathroom, four large windows) but I often work at our dining room table with my Mac laptop. I actually feel more comfortable in a plain wooden chair.

When I do development it is almost always on my Mac - in the dining room - but I check everything I do on one of two PCs in the house, which are in my office. So I frequently get some needed "movement" when I upload something new or make a change to a database-driven page. I must get up and walk upstairs to see the results on a PC screen. Some days that happens every few minutes - which does result in (hopefully) ample exercise. And, I enjoy the movement.

But, no matter how you do it, you should get in some exercise time every hour.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have been using a plain folding chair for about five months, last week I bought a decent office chair and just love it. I sat in dozens of chairs 'till I found this one, I found that taking my time choosing my chair has paid off well.

I also walk outside about every hour - I hate to admit it in this day and age, but I still smoke .

Anyway, a good chair and hourly breaks make my days go well!!

Quote Originally Posted by mopek
    Working at my computer all day - like everyone else here - I find that my calves get VERY stiff when sitting in one place for more than 45 minutes. It takes some good walking around afterwards to get to the point they were at before.
    Does this happen to anyone else and anyone know why? Or maybe your back gets sore/stiff.
    I have tried numerous "ergonomic" chairs but the best is a $14.99 folding chair (the type they use for seminars at hotels).

What are your experiences from sitting for long periods?

mopek
    How do you sit? How are your legs positioned? Sounds like you are putting your "weight" on your calves.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In the office at work I have an L shaped unit and sit in the apex. I have long legs and a tendency to stretch them which makes me bend my head to read the monitors. I catch myself doing this and have to tuck my feet back under the chair to force myself to improve my posture. I have considered a mirror so I can visually see how I am sitting.

Cool
    Thanks Guys,

I sit usually with my legs outstretched and my toes pointed so they don't stretch much like that.

I was also thinking of using an alarm and will probably end up doing that.

I guess we just weren't built for sitting at a desk ....

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Here over in Europe we all by law have to take a 5 minute break every hour if we work with video display units or screens to protect the eyes.

Even working from home I still get up for 5 minutes, walk around and get my circulation going and focus on middle or long distance to rest my eyes.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Affiliate Manager
    The "ergonimic" chairs, sometimes called back chairs, may not be so ergonomic. They don't support your back and put an unusual constant pressure on the knees.

Better still to just listen to your body: use whatever chair you find reasonably comfortable, but get up now and then and go for a walk. Moving around will help your legs, the exercise will help the rest of your body, and the fresh air will help your mind.

Even if just for a few minutes, you might be surprised by how refreshing a good walk can be.

Some days I take the train to work, and when I do I often take my bicycle for the mile between the station and my office. It's amazing how energizing even a brief few minutes of moving around can be.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    I use an alarm, and it is so helpful! I'm amazed at how quickly an hour goes by. I use a very basic kitchen timer - it's set to go off every hour (but I can set any time increment). Good luck!

I talk the talk but I have to admit it that sometimes it is hard to walk the walk.

I seem to remember some software awhile back made for this. Basically it would overtake your computer at a time interval you set and not let you do anything for 5 minutes. I know that seems kind of extreme. But some of hard core keyboard monkeys may need something like that.

I personally blame tabbed browsers for my ADD !
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread