Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invasion of Privacy?
    I was checking a customer's shipping address the other day and ended up on Google maps. When I went to the satellite view of his address (it IS public information you know) what should appear but a street level view, and it was as though I was standing in the street looking at his house. I'm certain that some of you probably already know about this new Google feature, but until then I had never heard about it. Apparently Google is investing large sums into this project and has roving vehicles running around all over the globe.
    Course, you guessed it, next stop was to take a look at MY house. Well, mine isn't there yet, but the main blvd a couple blocks away is. So I took it and cruised to our favorite Starbucks just blocks away. There it was! I almost expected to see our car in the parking lot. Very nice images too. You get a nearly spherical seamless view except for a black spot where the camera setup is mounted to a pole on top of the car. You can even look at the person in the car next to you at a stop light.
    So, next thought, how can I block my property from this roving picture taker? Anyone else adverse to having a street level view of your house on the net?

Hmmm, anyone know therichboy's address?...

X

I spent hours when I first discovered the street views. Most large cities are already available.

It is very cool to 'walk' around San Francisco or New York. You can even rotate the view like you are turning around. You can sometimes see the shadow of the camera and vehicle that takes the pics. Google has definitely got some deep pockets to put this together.

Quote Originally Posted by DougNY
    I spent hours when I first discovered the street views. Most large cities are already available.

It is very cool to 'walk' around San Francisco or New York. You can even rotate the view like you are turning around. You can sometimes see the shadow of the camera and vehicle that takes the pics. Google has definitely got some deep pockets to put this together.
    A friend of mine used to work at a company that was doing something similar. She was not a photographer, but before she left they offered her a photographer position paying 17 cents per photo and I don't think they were paying mileage either. If Google is paying anything similar, it's pocket change for them. However, I'm guessing they pay a bit more.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    A friend of mine used to work at a company that was doing something similar. She was not a photographer, but before she left they offered her a photographer position paying 17 cents per photo and I don't think they were paying mileage either. If Google is paying anything similar, it's pocket change for them. However, I'm guessing they pay a bit more.
    I suspect they are paying a bit more. In fact, Google is providing the vehicle (Chevy something or others in the US) with the equipment all set up. I looked around to find a link to hiring for this but couldn't find anything.

X

Unless they start taking pictures of the inside of your house, I don't think it falls under a invasion of privacy issue. I'm of a mixed-mind about it though, as far as how I feel about it.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    I was checking a customer's shipping address the other day and ended up on Google maps. When I went to the satellite view of his address (it IS public information you know) what should appear but a street level view, and it was as though I was standing in the street looking at his house. I'm certain that some of you probably already know about this new Google feature, but until then I had never heard about it. Apparently Google is investing large sums into this project and has roving vehicles running around all over the globe.
    Course, you guessed it, next stop was to take a look at MY house. Well, mine isn't there yet, but the main blvd a couple blocks away is. So I took it and cruised to our favorite Starbucks just blocks away. There it was! I almost expected to see our car in the parking lot. Very nice images too. You get a nearly spherical seamless view except for a black spot where the camera setup is mounted to a pole on top of the car. You can even look at the person in the car next to you at a stop light.
    So, next thought, how can I block my property from this roving picture taker? Anyone else adverse to having a street level view of your house on the net?

There was actually one of those street views going around the net, it was - http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...num=1&ct=title

The picture was just removed. When you clicked street view in the pic, it was a picture of what looked like somebody pointing a gun at somebody. Looks like somebody caught it before it was removed - http://digg.com/comedy/Crime_caught_...treet_view_Pic

Unless you are in restricted airspace, I can fly over your house and get a pretty good pic anyway. I don't really see what the big deal is.

BTW Trust, you should stop tanning nude on your rooftop. It is grossing me out. ;-)

-sfcom

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    "Emergency! Everybody to get from street!" -- Russian submariner in "The Russians Are Coming," one of my all-time favorite movies.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar

If only I could get a schedule of when they were coming around, I could post big banners up in front of my house with some web addresses.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Unless you are in restricted airspace, I can fly over your house and get a pretty good pic anyway. I don't really see what the big deal is.

BTW Trust, you should stop tanning nude on your rooftop. It is grossing me out. ;-)

-sfcom
    When you're running a home business perception is sometimes key. We are in the business of online retail and operate as a business with the appropriate credentials and business model. I believe the perception of a commercial facility instills more confidence in the customer of our validity as a retailer than if they Googled our address and found a private residence. Now, we do use a postal/mailbox service but there are times when it's necessary to provide our street address. So, to me it is a big deal!

X

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    If only I could get a schedule of when they were coming around, I could post big banners up in front of my house with some web addresses.
    Beautiful!

X

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    There was actually one of those street views going around the net, it was - http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...num=1&ct=title

The picture was just removed. When you clicked street view in the pic, it was a picture of what looked like somebody pointing a gun at somebody. Looks like somebody caught it before it was removed - http://digg.com/comedy/Crime_caught_...treet_view_Pic
    My guess is it was a water pistol, it looked like a hot summer day. But it's gone now anyway.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    True, probably a squirt gun.

sfcom, stop flying over my apt.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've seen it, and despite its technological "coolness," I think it IS an invasion of privacy.

It may be "public information," but I don't think it *should* be, not in the way they're using it, despite the "coolness" of being able to peer practically into the windows of houses. Google is amassing WAY too much personally-identifiable info in one place. And the fact that Google itself is known for how secretive it is about itself, yet they want to publicize everyone else's info...that really galls me.

The concept of "public information" was okay when baddies would have had to go to 10 different places to collect it. But I think it's time that law is updated to take into account the fact that it is now FAR easier to abuse the information.

I could deal with the loss of the "street view" and other such things. It'd be worth it not to have to wonder if Google or some other spy-cam-operator company is taking pictures of me in the window. The leaves outside are fine for blocking the "live" view, so someone walking down the street won't see much unless they stop and stare (plus if they do that, I can see them staring and react accordingly)--but they're not thick enough to stop a telephoto lens! And no I don't want to have to buy blinds just to block Google!

ABW Ambassador
    Speaking of which and I was looking for this video (some flash or cartoon thing, not real life video) but don't know the right keywords for it to show up. I know it's been posted here a few times and other places on the internet. It was a little video with I think somebody ordering a pizza and they had all this personal information on this person, his weight from a doctor's visit I think, past history etc. If anybody had the link. Thanks.

Monetize it!
    You can't beat "the google" so use it to your advantage. If your house is yet to be added, put street visibile sign up with your website or something! Maybe a "Hi mom".

Charlie

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    http://www.aclu.org/pizza/

Searched under "pizza ad national personal" (with no quotes). Some blog came up, and the link was in a comment.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Speaking of which and I was looking for this video (some flash or cartoon thing, not real life video) but don't know the right keywords for it to show up. I know it's been posted here a few times and other places on the internet. It was a little video with I think somebody ordering a pizza and they had all this personal information on this person, his weight from a doctor's visit I think, past history etc. If anybody had the link. Thanks.
    http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

[EDIT: Leader beat me to it, but I will leave it as a 2nd place finish...lol.]

ABW Ambassador
    Ah there it is, thanks. Have been looking for that for awhile now. Got it bookmarked now.

That's one of those 'Big Brother' ACLU scare tactics. Scared enough to join the ACLU?

X

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The thing is, if I was an investor in google, a stock holder, I would be pretty ticked off at the waste involved in taking pictures every hundred feet on a national/global basis.

I mean, heck, things burn down, entire neighborhoods get demolished, arenas get imploded, buildings demolioshed and rebuilt, roads closed, bridges rebuilt, new roads created, I mean, really, can you imagine the cost to keep information like that up to date?

Given the nebulous monetary return of something like this, which you are offering up for free, and given that you are pi***** off almost every home owner who doesn't want pictures of their home online, if I was a stockholder I would be screaming bloody murder about giving that money as a dividend rather than p*** it out the window of a gazillion cars driving by snapping pics.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    That's one of those 'Big Brother' ACLU scare tactics. Scared enough to join the ACLU?
    Well, little by little you see things like that happening. Google getting into the health records biz. What this thread is about. Gmail is not exactly private. Affiliates letting Google mine their sites left and right. Searching habits. All kinds of things. So what you just saw is very possible. And you started this thread asking: "So, next thought, how can I block my property from this roving picture taker?"

So.

One way to be sure to eliminate Google displaying a picture of your house is to have a sign in your front yard making a derogatory comment about Google. However, my favorite bumpersticker is 'Help me! Help me! The Paranoids are after me!'

What better way to bring traffic to Google? Get people talking about their house and how it looks there. You can even send a link to an exact frame.

Has anyone here tried the bird's eye view using MS Live? You can rotate it too and view all four sides of your house. Just by using this tool, lawncare companies can decide if I might be a candidate for lawn fertilizer and concrete contractors can see I have an asphalt driveway and might be tired of sealing it.

Trust/Loxly you have my address there in the mod view...take a look at those two pine trees of the corners of the house. Wife wants rid of them, says they are overgrown. I don't think they are that bad...

-sfcom
    Last edited by sfcom; May 28th, 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add Loxly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast