Removal is NOT an Inconvenience
    I just have to get this off my chest lol. I am tired of getting removal emails that include this sentiment "Sorry for the inconvenience". Fine, say you're sorry, say you regret to inform me but don't call removal an inconvenience for me. It is a loss of income, a termination of "partnership", ending of business relationship and hundreds of other things but calling it an inconvenience trivializes the situation.

Inconvenience =
    an inconvenient discomfort
    troublesomeness: a difficulty that causes anxiety
    the quality of not being useful or convenient

I guess many just don't know what else to say and are at a loss for words but please, I am begging you, don't call it an inconvenience! Okay I feel better lol.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Agree with you it's definitely not a very good choice of words to use.

If that was the least of my problems.........

Jim

Would you like a list of my real problems Jim?
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

I didn't mean to inflame you, mellie, believe me, but who really cares what they say....unless they give you a concrete reason for unsubscribing? If they want out, they want out. It reminds me of the people who say "I'll be back" at the many craft shows, flea markets and street festivals I do every year. I know they won't be back. It is just their way of "bowing out".

I would be more concerned why people want to remove themselves from my mailing list rather than their apologies for doing so. You can harp on their excuses, or you can look at what you "may" be doing that they are asking to be removed and offering "sorry for the inconvenience". Why don't they want to stay on your mailing list???????

Jim

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    You can harp on their excuses, or you can look at what you "may" be doing that they are asking to be removed and offering "sorry for the inconvenience".
    What the heck are you talking about? LOL. The "sorry for the inconvenience" is coming from merchants who are terminating NY affiliates; not from customers on a mailing list.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    What the heck are you talking about? LOL. The "sorry for the inconvenience" is coming from merchants who are terminating NY affiliates; not from customers on a mailing list.
    Perhaps mellie should have specified that. I thought mellie was talking about customers who want to be removed from his/her mailing list.

If I have missed some crucial bit of information, which I have been known to do, than my sincereist apologies.

Jim

Jim the emails are from merchants kicking me out of their program because I am from NY. It is the least of my problems that they call it an inconvenience. I am far more concerned with having a business left. I am also far more concerned with other issues. I was attempting to make light of something that is irritating me.

Are you aware of the tax situation in NY? Plenty of threads on it.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    Perhaps mellie should have specified that. I thought mellie was talking about customers who want to be removed from his/her mailing list.
    This is the NY affiliate forum that was made because NY affiliates are getting dropped.

Also...[the original poster wrote]

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    It is a loss of income, a termination of "partnership", ending of business relationship and hundreds of other things but calling it an inconvenience trivializes the situation.
    It's no big deal to me, but I was confused for a second by your response.
    Last edited by ProWebAddict; May 28th, 2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: clarifying my clarifying

I am done.

I assumed in the NY Affiliate forum it would be clear what the removals were about.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Jim the emails are from merchants kicking me out of their program because I am from NY. It is the least of my problems that they call it an inconvenience. I am far more concerned with having a business left. I am also far more concerned with other issues. I was attempting to make light of something that is irritating me.

Are you aware of the tax situation in NY? Plenty of threads on it.
    mellie,

Yes, I see I was mistaken. My sincerest apologies to you.

Yes, I have been reading the NY Tax law threads, and I am so glad I no longer live in NY. I moved to PA a number of years ago, however, eventually this stigma will hit all affiliates in all states.

My sympathies are with you and all NY affiliates.

Jim

I am done.

I assumed in the NY Affiliate forum it would be clear what the removals were about.
    Why are you done?

It was clear what you were talking about. I was just clarifying for Jim.

I am done.

Please don't take your ball and go home because of 1 or 2 misunderstandings. We know you are frustrated and disgusted by all this.

Jim

Done in the sense I really need to take a break, Proweb. Thanks for clarifying for me.

No offense Jim, meet you at recess tomorrow
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Done in the sense I really need to take a break, Proweb. Thanks for clarifying for me.

No offense Jim, meet you at recess tomorrow
    LOL....love and kisses.

XXXOOO

Jim

Everyone definitely needs to be more sensitive to NY affiliates. This is an extremely stressful time, and could be quite devastating to many. For some, it may only be an inconvenience, but I suspect that for most it's much more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well now that I had almost 3 hours of sleep last night and am writing clearer I just want to make sure that when I said "I'm done" I really just meant I needed to take a break from the issues of taxes and was not annoyed at here or anyone. I just realized that I was not making myself understood and getting emotional and needed to step away.

I apologize if I was a little snippy and ambiguous,

The show of support from fellow affiliates and many merchants and OPM's is greatly appreciated.

And this morning, after getting my kids to school, I am having breakfast with a couple friends. That should put me in a better mood.
    Last edited by mellie; May 29th, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

This whole issue tends to wear on the nerves of NY affiliates. I just wish that merchants wouldn't be so quick to drop NY affiliates. It's not like there is no choice, the merchants could simply figure out a way to collect the taxes like NewEgg. You'd think that would be much better for merchants in the long run.

I'm not currently affiliated with NewEgg, but I am looking at them now that I see how they are handling this situation. On the flip side, if I was an affiliate from a state other than NY - I would think twice before affiliating with the companies that are dropping their NY affiliates.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It would be interesting to see what the net effect is on New York's actual income after they figure out the difference between loss of income and business before and after this law was put into effect.This seems to be causing an absurb amount of disruption amongst the citizens, would make a great issue to be resolved, say, a week or two before elections take place....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by DougNY
    This whole issue tends to wear on the nerves of NY affiliates. I just wish that merchants wouldn't be so quick to drop NY affiliates. It's not like there is no choice, the merchants could simply figure out a way to collect the taxes like NewEgg. You'd think that would be much better for merchants in the long run.

I'm not currently affiliated with NewEgg, but I am looking at them now that I see how they are handling this situation. On the flip side, if I was an affiliate from a state other than NY - I would think twice before affiliating with the companies that are dropping their NY affiliates.

It is indeed, very interesting to see how many are handling things. I have to say some have taken me by surprise.

I may suffer a dip in earnings while I find replacements but I am determined to come out ahead.

And today's annoying phrase is "modified one or more terms of your agreement" lol but I promise not to rant about it (as long as they don't include "sorry for the inconvenience ).
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

And today's annoying phrase is
    This has been my favorite phrase:
    We look forward to working with you in the near future.
    Oh, like I'm going to be putting your links back up after I changed them all to another merchant.

That's not gonna happen. You're done!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread