Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Thumbs up New Affiliate Manager
    Hi all!

I'm the new Affiliate Manager for Oriental Trading and Terry's Village. While I'm not new to Marketing, nor management I am "newish" to the world of Affiliates. I'm looking for resources for learning. forumns, conferences, case studies, blogs, professional seminars and more! If anyone can provide direction on what you've found helpful, please advise. Esp. in the area of recruitment, optimization and program management tips.

Thanks,
    I look forward to working/talking with you all at some point!

Best,

Jen

Hey Jen and welcome to ABW.
    Check out Geno's book at AffiliateManagerBook.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Jen...

Welcome...

You're loosing quality affiliates with your cookies: Return days: .167 and 5% commish

I USED to promote you - but swapped you out for 2 competitors who give me a fighting chance to make money

sorry... one more

if you're still using Lindsey for recruitment to Terry's...

you're loosing quality affiliates from those who won't work with reps who don't respond to emails (hint)

and welcome again

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Welcome aboard.

I joined a few years ago and despite your LS info saying you had individual product linking available, you did not. Thus, I could never promote your products, and I was eventally axed from your programs. Now, in the new LS interface it says you have Linkbuilder, plus I see that you are on Popshops, so I could be now be promoting your products, but I'm not interested for these reasons, the reasons Billy Kay describes, and because of this message on your LS pages (note - I am not in NY):
    " PLEASE NOTE: We are no long accepting partners based in the state of New York"
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Hi Jen,

Welcome to ABW! We've been burned by the return days a number of times in the past as well. But OTC itself is really a great merchant--good variety of products, fast customer service. I'm sure that you will learn a lot here.

Tricia
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Hate to sound negative cos I don't usually do that, but agree with what the others have said. Your site definitely is not a favorite of mine. I have your links on my site only for the reason that one person I know likes to shop from you.

I had a sale from you in the past that my niece made, didn't receive credit for it, gave all of the information to the affiliate manager at the time. (she left soon afterwards) Never did receive credit and after that could never get anybody to reply to my emails.

So, if you're really sincere about: Esp. in the area of recruitment, optimization and program management tips.

The reaaaaally short time for your cookie is definitely a problem and no doubt reason for not more affiliates signing up for your program. And....lack of response to emails I think is another problem. Improve on those two points and it'll probably help.

And....welcome

If you wanna learn, you can definitely learn a lot here. Here's two threads:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79787
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=93894

Online Marketing Consultant
    Hi Jen,

Welcome aboard. You do have a great product line, but the program is not affiliate friendly in any aspect really for the reasons Billy had said, in addition to the adware and parasites which are in your program.

However you are new and probably do not know any of this yet. Welcome aboard and although some of the feedback and comments you may get will seem harsh, it is actually feedback which could really help to grow your program and create a much stronger and ethical sales channel for you.

I hope you stick around here as it is a fantastic resource to learn affiliate marketing as well as ethics within the industry and how to protect your own company and affiliates.

=0)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsez
    I look forward to working/talking with you all at some point!

Best,

Jen
    Hi Jen,

Welcome to our family, the natives seem restless but they will make your program all that much better if you listen with an open mind. Everyone that has comented here knows their stuff and are veterans in the industry.

If you need input from the affiliate management side, feel free to contact me by email or the number in my sig - in the meantime, stick around, have fun and learn the ways of our forrest ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Welcome & best of luck.

You might want to double check the email system, I sent you 4 emails in the past week, none answered.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I, too, am horrified that Oriental Trading Company and Terry's Village dropped New York affiliates. I've been pulling your links since that announcement was made even though I have been making sales with OTC.

Otherwise welcome, Jen!

You will most certainly learn a lot here and you'll be able to bring your program before the best in the business. Don't let the negative comments deter you. we are really trying to help by pointing out the things that make your programs not so "affiliate friendly" and ones we'd love to see fixed. If we didn't want to work with you, we just wouldn't bother.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    New Affiliate Mngr. -responses to feedback
    Hi again,

I thank you for your "direct" and helpful replies. I am in the process of looking into all of the mentioned areas. I am also in the process of getting the email switched to my account so that I'll be able to respond to your questions/concerns. Until then, thank you and please let me know of resources from which you've learned and gained the most knowledge.

Will be in touch soon.

Online Marketing Consultant
    If you need help finding this info or help learning about it, I am happy to help you with this =0). You may want to start in the parasiteware and unethical affiliate forum as well as the NY affiliates forum and the newbies forums...Also, please feel free to contact me with the info in my signature.

Best,

Adam

Hey, I got your email, but it went to my personal account and got erased before I could read it. Would you be able to resend it to adam @ downtownecommerce com? Thanks!
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Hi Jen ... hate your cookie set up ... would love more focused coupons and promos .. your product is perfect for our demographic!!!!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Welcome aboard Jen, as you can see we're a pretty opinionated bunch and have no qualms about sharing our opinions. I hope you haven't been overwhelmed by all of the comments and suggestions, but as Rexanne said "If we didn't want to work with you, we just wouldn't bother".

We all know that you're new and may not be able to make all of the changes suggested right away. We also realize that some things may be out of your control. However, the one thing that is completely within your control is your communications with your affiliates. Regardless of the message, whether it's good, bad or incomplete, it is imperative that you reply in a timely manner. It's better to say "I'll find out and get back to you" than nothing at all.

Stay active here and you'll be surprised at the knowledge you can gain and the support that you'll receive. This is a great place to garner long term business relationships as well as a few new friendships.

Besides Geno's book, another good read for AMs is Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Hi Jen,

Welcome! I had a call with Connie and Kyle a few months back. We were able to get you into one promo in March, and I'd like to keep that momentum going. I think you're in good hands with Connie, but (other than modifying the program terms like return days and other things already mentioned) we should put together a longer plan so that featuring you is not so sporadic. As a native Omahan, I have a fondness for working with advertisers from there like Netshops, Omaha Steaks, GiftCertificates.com, etc. As far as industry info, getting together and meeting with some of those managers would be beneficial too!

I hope this helps!
    Nicki Hayes

I want to echo what everyone before me has said and add this:

I have known and shopped and recommended your store since long before I knew anything about affiliate marketing. It's really aggravating that it's so difficult for affiliates to justify valuable work time promoting it.

Speaking of communicating with affiliates...

just got this:

Dear B

Oriental Trading Company, Inc. has modified one or more terms of the offer in which you are participating. Please note the below modification for the specified program:

Merchant Name: Oriental Trading Company, Inc.
    Program Level Number: 4.7
    New legal terms can be seen at xxx.txt

You do not need to change any links on your site.

Please review the new terms of this program. Merchants may change terms of an offer for a variety of reasons. If you need further clarification of the change that was made, please contact the merchant directly...

When affiliates get these, we hate them.

They tell us NOTHING. Zip.

We LIKE getting an email prior to these autresponders telling us what has been changed

Since I'm not a lawyer, I don't read those legal term thingys.

But from 10 minutes ago, I'm now working in the dark, and don't promote these merchants as I have no idea what they changed. For all I know, they pulled a "Target" and now we're not allowed to mention their name more then 3 times.

The change was they will not allow New York affiliates into their program.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

ABW Ambassador
    I just want to chime in and support Billy Kay's position on return days. I will NEVER EVER promote a merchant with .167 return days.

so mellie... er... what's TODAY'S "Oriental Trading Company, Inc. Program Update"

Yep. Got another one this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    so mellie... er... what's TODAY'S "Oriental Trading Company, Inc. Program Update"

Yep. Got another one this morning

Haven't read it yet they just keep sending me multiple termination notices, there's about 4 or 5 new ones from them in my inbox. If Oriental Trading is reading this, I get the point, really, I do - you don't want me because I am from NY so please stop already. You don't have to rub it in.
    Last edited by mellie; May 30th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Jen, welcome aboard. Increasing your cookie to 30 days is a terrific activation tool for your program and would get you some love here as well. Take a look at your non-commission report and you will find a target list. I ran a program that had 10 return days via Linkshare, increased it to 30 days and used that as means to activate. Program increased 400% in six months. Taking parasites out and promoting that here was a big help too!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Speaking of communicating with affiliates...

just got this:

Dear B

Oriental Trading Company, Inc. has modified one or more terms of the offer in which you are participating. Please note the below modification for the specified program:

Merchant Name: Oriental Trading Company, Inc.
    Program Level Number: 4.7
    New legal terms can be seen at xxx.txt

You do not need to change any links on your site.

Please review the new terms of this program. Merchants may change terms of an offer for a variety of reasons. If you need further clarification of the change that was made, please contact the merchant directly...
    When affiliates get these, we hate them.

They tell us NOTHING. Zip.

We LIKE getting an email prior to these autresponders telling us what has been changed

Since I'm not a lawyer, I don't read those legal term thingys.

But from 10 minutes ago, I'm now working in the dark, and don't pour romote these merchants as I have no idea what they changed. For all I know, they pulled a "Target" and now we're not allowed to mention their name more then 3 times.
    Why do they "tell you nothing?" I agree it might be a pain going through all the legaleze to find the "differences" of what was and what is now, and perhaps a newsletter or other announcement alerting on the changes may be a good idea. But sometimes changes in terms are pretty drastic.

What was really annoying was that I had to go in an "re-work" our terms simply because the person before me did such an awful job with the "html." After I fixed up that page, SAS automatically sent out 600 email to all our affiliates, yet there was no actual change to the terms.

Why do they "tell you nothing?"
    Are you joking? You copied the WHOLE email. What exaxly did it tell us?????????????????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast