Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exclamation Experience Advertising: Unethical Affiliate Program Management & Marketing Consulting

So we have an Unethical Affiliates and Unethical Merchants forums. Is it time to start an Unethical OPMs one now too?

In this thread, I want to really ask one question:

Evan of Experience Advertising, what exactly is this??

Bidding on AM Navigator name:

Bidding on AMWSO name:

Bidding on Schaaf Consulting name:

Bidding on Suluta name:

Bidding on Affiliate Crew name:

You also bid on "Shareasale", "Commission Junction" and "Linkshare" names. Interestingly enough, your "1/2 the cost - twice as effective ... affiliate program experts" company does not know about the existence of such networks at DoubleClick Performics, AvantLink, buy.at, other networks, and some other affiliate program management companies not mentioned above. But I'm sure you'll learn of them soon...

This is certainly not the way to do business, Evan.

Geno

Well, this comes as no surprise to me.

While at Dental plans he admitted to using Zango and the other usual suspects, said it was "all part of the game". It was then that I immediately banned DentalPlans and him.

After he left DentalPlans I continued my ban on them as they were fully cognizant of the tactics. Evan then started up ExperienceAdvertising and came back to ABW (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=97918) 6 posts from him later we saw that not much had actually changed and now this, well ... here we go again ...

Banned!

Evan Weber is the kinda sh!t that the industry really needs to finally flush away, cause he's stinking up the whole place!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    How do you really feel Haiko?

Come on, don't hold back.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Is it time to start an Unethical OPMs one now too?
    Thanks Geno, seen others do it before. Always good to know and document so we know.

To be honest with you, I find this a bit more disturbing than the ppc ...

This was on the second page of a search for MadHatter Consulting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KK

Someone should do a campaign on "experience advertising" and "experienceadvertising.com" and direct it to this thread.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    First notice sent via their contact form: 1:46pm eastern time 05-29-08

Hello Evan,

Ref:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=105938
    http://experienceadvertising.com/?p=110
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jrami+consulting

Please stop and remove all ppc ads and search campaigns and our JRami Consulting names or links as referenced in your ppc campaigns and on your sites and blogs ASAP.

Thanks,

Jorge Ramirez
    President/CEO
    JRami Consulting, Inc
    JRami.com
    ==========

This is the notice I ever send to anyone or OPM as I don't really have time for it, but for the sake of every other ethical OPM I sent it and link here so they and others get the message. If you want to be a professional OPM/Agency these things have to stop and also these ridiculus prices offered to merchants just to get them in your door too. If you want to be fair then be fair, if you want to have OPM price wars let me know. JRami Summer Special Coming up soon
    Last edited by Kevin; May 29th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.

I usualy have respect for nearly all OPMs out there, especially those on ABW. Guess this makes 2 now that I don't respect but I still won't stoop to slamming them on my site or bidding on their name. That sounds more like desperation. Why would a successful OPM do such things?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I read this on the home page of Experience Advertising.

UPromise.com has extended their Spring Promo offer through June 30th 2008 which is great for consumers and affiliate alike. . . This means continued increased conversions for affiliates of the UPromise program in Commission Junction (CJ).

Could we perhaps call Experience Advertising "Black Hat OPMs"? And, just for good measure, I will throw in the search terms experienceadvertising and experienceadvertising.com .
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Thanks Geno

Got an email last week for a merchant saying I could get a custom coupon

But we kept missing each other on IM

Now I know who it is and deleted his IM name - no need to actually chat

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    He got us, too

Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up, Geno. I am just thankful that for every one of these guys, there are many more respectable and respect-FUL OPMs who treat their colleagues with an honest and ethical standard and co-exist peacefully without ever resorting to this kind of behavior.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

I thought the name sounded familiar, went through my gmail and found he was soliciting me to a program that declined me awhile back. I went with a competitor and am quite happy I did then, and even more so now.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Thanks Geno

Got an email last week for a merchant saying I could get a custom coupon

But we kept missing each other on IM

Now I know who it is and deleted his IM name - no need to actually chat
    Thanks from me also!
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Someone should do a campaign on "experience advertising" and "experienceadvertising.com" and direct it to this thread.

No need. This thread apparently already ranks #7 in Google results for Experience Advertising.

Wow -- that was fast!
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

Geno,
    This post came at a good time, as he just started working with a program I do a lot of business with.

Thanks for the headsup.

Curiously, he doesn't pop for Abestweb.

Unethical with a side of stupid.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Hey guys its Evan here..all the ads are down...why shouldn't companies be able to advertise in Google for other companies keywords? This goes on everyday...nonetheless, I have removed all of them. If you want to keep bad mouthing me here thats fine, when everyone loves me in the internet marketing industry, but don't be suprised if I don't do the same on my site about you.

ummmm Evan, I am in the internet marketing industry and I don't love you, and let me think for a second.....nope not one person I know in Kansas City who is also in this same industry loves you.....

It isn't that this occurs every day, it is that there is a certain professional courtesy that should be occurring within the affiliate management community, and when we take to stabbing each other in the back, all we are doing is hurting the industry that you claim loves you....

Its because you don't know me...people that know me know I am very hard working and always seeking to assist affiliates to become good producers. Just because I'm not part of the "in crowd" in affiliate marketing doesn't mean I'm not a doing good things online with affiliates and affiliate programs.

The question raised here (that is still awaiting an answer, by the way) is not one of assisting "affiliates to become good producers" or working hard, or whatever. It is not even a question of bidding on trade names. The question is: how could one bid on a competing agency's name and serve a "1/2 the Cost - Twice as Effective" text to the end user who was specifically looking for a different company?! As Aunesty said, it's just "stabbing in the back", that's what it is, Evan.

Why should I like you now? You haven't even apologized.

G.

Let's try another way of looking at it, and someone please tell me if I'm off-base here.

If I were an OPM and I created an ad that said "Geno is terrible, I'm a better OPM and I charge less", that would be crossing a line, right? Well, the ads being run were just one small step above that. The ad didn't name names, but since you were bidding on the names, the effect is the same. The ads said, essentially, "the person you are searching for is not a good OPM/AM/service - I'm better and I charge less."

In my mind, there is little difference - the effect is the same. Is that legal? Of course. Is it a common business practice? Maybe. Is it ethical? Not in the least. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

Incidentally, I don't see a problem with bidding on "Affiliate Summit" for example, because (and correct me if I'm wrong), Shawn and Missy aren't providing any kind of management services. It's the bidding on specific people and companies that are direct competitors that is kinda scummy.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    FWIW - I knew Evan since he was at DP and met him at couple of conferences. Evan is not a bad guy IMO. He is an aggressive all out competitor and some times may be misguided in his efforts to promote himself. Instead of banning him on ABW, it is better he is made part of the community and allow him to get EDUCATED a bit!. Not that I am happy with some of his clients and works like upromise and others! But he could be given a chance to get better and be part of the community. I could be wrong in my observations here, but that's my 2 cents!!

Redtag,

He's had 6 years to learn, he hasn't, he's gotten worse.

-------------

Evan,

The "in crowd"? Bullpucky! It's cuz you deal with the scum in the industry and your ethics are far from desirable to begin with as well.

Goodbye!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Well, la-di-freakin'-da (to quote Chris Farley, one of my all time favorites.)

Looks like we have quite the comedian here too.

Claims to be an expert at SEO on his site, but can't even make SE friendly URLs w/ Wordpress. It doesn't take an expert to do that.

Not cool writing half-truths about AS, Shawn and Missy. I understand you were going for the shock effect to get others to blog about your article, but that is pretty low and desperate.

I know I wouldn't hire you due to the fact that you don't pay attention to details. Look at the categories in the navigation for your site. You capitalize most of them, but why not the others?

Looks like you still have a lot of learning to do. If you can do it without bidding on other's trade names and without crapping on people along the way, you will be able to make a lasting impression in the industry. You had better hurry up. I am getting ready to launch my 4 times as good, 1/4 the cost service. LOL.

-sfcom

That is sad to have to bash your competitors to try to make yourself look good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast