Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchants and affiliates

I would like to start this thread as a resource of information. No matter if you get a lot of visitors or just a few you would benefit from better conversions. Let's discuss ideas, proven methods, suspicions and whatever else it takes to convert visitors into buyers. What can merchants do to convert the visitors we send and what can we do to prepare our visitors to buy when the get to the merchants store.

Let's keep this thread on topic, moderated and full of ideas and get at least three or four replies nominated for "best post".

I really believe this topic is something we will all benefit from. I believe that since real world (brick n mortar) stores convert their visitors into buyers at such an astounding rate compared to online sales that something is wrong with our methods and that we can improve on that.

I know this post is somewhat korney but it's also important to us as business people.

ABW Ambassador
    PROMOTIONS - coupon codes, free shipping deals, Buy 2 of this get 1 of that, and sales going on, any deal the merchant is currently offering. Make sure what you list on your site is correct, so a good experience for everyone. If you use product links make sure they go to the product. If you use promotion links provided by merchant, make sure they go to a landing page explaining the promotion or if the promotion is something that happens at checkout(discount) make sure you tell your visitors that before you send them off to the merchant.

Merchants - Don't make your visitors jump through too many hoops in order to buy something. You want to get them through checkout as quick and hassle free as possible. Registering shouldn't be a requirement, just need an email to confirm order. No surveys and that kind of stuff. Usability, Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) merchants and affiliates need to make their sites as easy as possible, so even an AOLer can navigate it.

More later, i'm eating

Set expired/no longer available products links to redirect to a landing page for a particular brand or product type, not to the home page or a "you have reached this page in error" page.

One website of mine converts poorly and one converts very well. Both are dynamically generated from the CJ datafeeds, carrying the same products and information.

The poor converter features 5 items (was 10) per page while the good converter features only one item per page.

Is there something to this?

ABW Ambassador
    I guess if you're getting SE traffic to the site with 1 product per page, when they get to that page, they find exactly what they're looking for. The other way, 5 products, you give them options and they think they might have bought 1 product but see the others, and maybe do some more thinking, something like that, i don't know, i just a few product links throughout my sites. But 1 product per page is more targetted than 5, 5 more targetted than 10.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Regarding coupons and specials I think it would be great if someone would start a website where all current running coupon codes and special offer would be made availabe to affiliates across various networks.

This is funny. I was thinking about one thing earlier today. I have one merchant that sells items that come in various sizes and the smaller the size the lower the price. The items are exactly the same except for the size. I’m worried that people will hit the site, say this is just what I want but I’d like something a little smaller or a little cheaper. I put stuff on my site that it comes in various sizes, but some people don’t read. It might be helpful for the merchant to have links to say Large, Medium, and Small on the landing page. Then again it might not, just thinking on this one.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

I would just be happy if the merchants would make sure all their links and promotions are current. I get tired of going into linkshare or the others and having to try all the promotions to see if they still work.
    I can't just go in and get links anymore.

Heyder, just go to my site!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    WE could pay a little attention to the old marketing addage "Remove All Objections". I know this is old news and its been covered a million times but I am repeating it due to it's importance.

A potential customer comes to your store because he wants to buy or research a product. You must pre-emptively remove all possible objections he/she has to making the purchase without her/him having to search for the items that will place his/her mind at rest.

Make your privacy policy highly visible on every page and KISS Keep it Simple Stupid. Don't baffle them with legalese copied from another site. Make it plain and simple that you don't collect data and you will never sell their email address and private information.

If possible have a clear graphic of a known and respected shopping policing agency visible on every page. Pay money for this service. It is worth it. Make every benefit visible or show many benefits and save a few for the close. There is a lot to be learned from television marketing. It is about building excitement, urgency and making it clear that this is the best deal/show in town.

GET THE CUSTOMER TO THE MERCHANT'S SITE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You don't win the lottery till they buy a product but until they click a link you don't even have a ticket.

Hold back some vital piece of information that they can access by clicking through. Soften the consequences of clicking a link by changing your buy now buttons to something less final.

It is the merchants job to close the deal but it is definitely our job to prime the customer.

Other things that of course everyone knows but I will repeat any way. Make your site as corporate and professional as you possibly can. This builds trust. SPELLCHECK, SPELLCHECK THEN SPELLCHECK AGAIN. If you have spelling or grammatical errors on the page, what's to say your backend accounting software isn't as badly put together.

Isolate a section of your site and use it as a test bed for new ideas. Keep a notebook with you at all times and when you have an idea write it down before you forget it and put it to the test in your test section. Don't be afraid to try new things and when you find something that works without a doubt in your mind. Replicate it everywhere.

The single most important factor that will affect your conversions is your choice of merchant. Some merchants just don't convert. Move on. Find new ones. When you find one that converts grab as much market share as you can from that merchant. Don't waste your time adding merchants willy nilly. Find the ones that work and stick with them. Keep a test site for testing new merchants and only let proven convertors onto your money making sites.

ABW Ambassador
    I have several comments:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The single most important factor that will affect your conversions is your choice of merchant. Some merchants just don't convert. Move on. Find new ones. When you find one that converts grab as much market share as you can from that merchant. Don't waste your time adding merchants willy nilly. Find the ones that work and stick with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds great but my reality says that the rate at which merchants convert is constantly changing and as a result it's easy to get into the trap and do the willy nilly chase.

I can give you so many examples where a merchant converted great and then they go dead and rarely convert it aint funny. From reading the posts here for a while I can tell you I aint the only one to see this either.

If a merchant is not performing I usually pull them but there are some exceptions but we constantly re-evaluate.

My experience says if you aren't changing and experimenting - you aren't going to grow. I do agree that when a page is working - LEAVE IT ALONE! To many times I've changed a page that was working fine "thinking it would do better with another merchant added" and then - poof. For some reason or another the ratio that was working is thrown off somehow and then crapola for conversions. If it aint broke - DON'T FIX IT!

[b}As for as general merchant conversion rates I believe the biggest reason why many don't convert well is due to asking for coupon codes at the time of closing a sale. What a complete turn off for "most customers"![/b]

The customer goes wasting their time to scrounge around looking for a coupon, ends up getting tricked with a "click here to get up to 70% off" that still doesn't have a coupon and the customer just gets ticked off and moves on.

If my theory is true, the very thing that many online merchants are thinking they are using to increase conversion rates are only shooting themselves in the foot. Then what do they do next to help increase the conversions that suck is to partner with parasites and give them private offers that only increases their costs and destroies the overall conversion rate of the non parasitic affiliate pool. Convincing merchants this is a BIG trap shouldn't be that hard but they have been sold this line of crap by the networks and like us, are "generally afraid of change".

Most are not willing (or unable) to take the risks and steps needed to be fair and upfront with their customers or their affiliates.

The internet shopping experience for most potential customers is so full of deciet, trickery and thievery it's no wonder many affiliate "hope for a 1% conversion rate". What a comnplete crock!

Way to many merchants fall into the above category and usually either offer a coupon privately themselves "ala a secret sale" or for a select group of couponers or through parasites. Why destory the overall percentages for a select few?

I'll betcha that if a merchant removes coupon codes at checkout and unconditionally has their sales to "automatically deduct discounts via a percentage of sales at the time of checkout", a merchants online sales would prosper significantly.

I know their are many "couponers here" that won't like or appreciate this thinking - tough!

The fact is that their are many new people searching the web and shopping - how many people are turning 18 every day, getting a credit card and wonder off shopping? Tons of them! Many of these new shoppers are just the ones that gets trapped and suckered into "the chase of a coupon" and get totally turned off with online marketing from the get go. This is a huge problem in my mind!

It doesn't matter how much pre-sale I do or that the merchant does in this sceanrio - the conversion rate is matter of factly going to suck! Merchants that avoid this trap and built a loyaly base system where purchase amounts themselves are either credited or given awards without asking for a coupon will benefit greatly. Not only will they build loyalty "themselves" they cut out much of the cost of doing business with couponers, parasites and eventually probably even affiliates.

If I know I get x amount off by using a merchant that awards credits or rebates themselves "without me loading a crappy parasite on my pc", what will I do? Go chase a coupon or go to the merchants site and get my discount. This is a no brainer!

While there may be a few "responsible couponers around" (I'm not as biased as Mr Ecom. on them ), my perception is still that overall as a group they are full of trickery and employ methods that overall significantly hurt industry conversion rates and these practices keep shoppers from becoming comfortable with shopping on the web! Ouch!

Eliminating the "crap of internet shopping" ought to be job one for merchants who want to see conversions increase. Unfortunately they've been sold down the river by our trusted third parties regarding what it takes to have a sucessfull affiliate program that converts.

Hi merchants! Here's hoping you begin to see the light.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    Ooops, I have a couple more things I suggest you not do:

1) Don't make a customer "add an item to the cart" to see the price. This is terrible!

2) Don't popup promoting some "crap contest" to entice a user to enter an email address.

3) Don't make a customer register and go through a lengthy checkout process to finally show the customer how much you are sticking it to them for shipping costs. This is another huge point of bad conversions in my mind!

4) Don't make customers call you for "a special price or to get a quote".

For affiliates who want better conversions - stop promoting or do not promote the merchants who emply the above practices.

Before you even put up a link or decide to partner with a merchant go to their site check them out and act as a customer - grab an item and take the steps through a checkout process. You'll be amazed at what you find.

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    If you have a merchant on your site that does use coupon codes and you don't list them, then the problem with conversion is you. I've seen way too many datafeed/product affiliates complain about conversions, when all they have to do is use the promotions that are available to help make you money. A product link with a promotion is the highest converting thing you can do, don't know why more datafeed/product sites don't do this. Like an example i gave a few times with somebody building a site around Surefit but not using the 20% off coupon at the time. I love these types of sites because all they do is send traffic to my coupon/shopping site. I see datafeed/pure product link sites slowly fading because i've never seen one i would want to bookmark, they are only search engine friendly. Also realize merchants don't need you, they can do cookie cutter sites on their own. Also Froogle and Yahoo can do a much better job with products. If anything these types of sites are ones that will "turn off consumers" when they (shoppers) realize they don't need you either, they can go straight to the merchant. Now i have seen affiliates make smart use of the datafeeds, i'm talking more about pure datafeed sites. The better route is to make your site SE and people friendly. I do agree about the coupon box being a turn off to some shoppers. A way around this is just to have merchants give affiliates links to use that when a shopper clicks them, a discount will show at checkout. That way a regular customer never sees this box, and shopping sites will still be happy. Looks like i got off track, basically if you're having trouble converting with a merchant, make sure you're using all the possible promotions.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    DPG remembered the main point of what I said in this thread: Prices or No Prices. Basically, hold back some piece of information to entice people to click the pay link. They're not making you any money--or getting any cookies set--sitting around (or browsing around) on your site. (Read the thread in the link to see the full discussion on the non-inclusion of prices on aff. sites.)

(Note: The above is for affiliates only! Merchants need to show prices--and in a clear location, too!)

Other things:

Don't put popunders/ups for unrelated sites on sales pages! They're a sign of desperation, plus, if someone clicks that thing instead of an affiliate link, you've lost a sale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SPELLCHECK, SPELLCHECK THEN SPELLCHECK AGAIN. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you are aiming for misspellings...

Put some SPIN (excitement/ad verbiage) on the ball! I've tried it both ways. Too little spin = lousy CR. It equaled lousy CR in 99 and it still equals lousy CR. The fact that some techies (who usually pipe up loudly upon reading my opinion on this) like "description-only" sites is irrelevant--they don't make up enough of the pool of buyers to pay their preferences any mind for most products. Get excited!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I see datafeed/pure product link sites slowly fading because i've never seen one i would want to bookmark, they are only search engine friendly<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as a site is search engine friendly, it will not fade, as long as search engines remain in high use by buyers. As for just having product links, I already said sites need more than the boring old description!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The poor converter features 5 items (was 10) per page while the good converter features only one item per page.

Is there something to this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely! Absolutely!

If someone is searching for "Crest Toothpaste" they not only don't care about Colgate, AIM, or Arm&Hammer--they don't want to know! If they wanted to know, they would have used the generic "toothpaste" as their search term.

People appreciate the site that ENDS their searching and points one clear way. It's like in a grocery store--if you ask, "where's the soup" you don't want to hear, "there's some in Aisle 1, some in aisle 5, and some in aisle 6!" Yet that's just what a lot of sites present to their visitors--another SE-like list of possibilities! If they wanted that, they'd have stayed on Google (or whatever SE they came from)!!

A few techies may object to the above, but experience tells me that most buyers fall into the above set. My sites are set up to "speak to" the people who have had plenty enough of searching and wishy-washy comparison sites and just want to know about *a* merchant that will sell them *a* particular product.

Some may say "but it's not a grocery store" but the same people who are buying groceries are the ones shopping at our sites--and their mindset doesn't just warp into something different when they log on!! People want the same things online as they do offline--quick, easy, convenient shopping with decent prices, decent service, and a warranty.

Speaking of *warranties*--Merchants who don't have one, get one! It's a lot harder to sell warranty-less stuff. Return policies which require a bunch of hoop-jumping (Call in, explain the problem, get a "return authorization number," pay a "restocking fee," bla bla bla) equal No Warranty.

Merchants! Make sure all the pix in the datafeeds/product links work! And make sure your descriptions aren't full of: 1) Errors of various types. 2) Oddball characters! 3) Cut offs (the last line is just cut off midsentence).

Merchants (especially SaS merchants!), remember that YOUR site has to look professional in order to do well. SaS merchants, PLEASE ditch those colored backgrounds, multiple fonts, and other throwbacks from Tripod! There are a lot of SaS merchants with interesting products that I haven't signed up with, just because of stuff like this.

But *affiliate* sites tend to do better if they don't look like the merchant site, in my experience. My aff. sites "do the job" but don't have a "merchant-y" look, either. This seems to work the best, at least for me. (Note: This statement does NOT mean to make an affiliate site with ugly backgrounds and eye-watering effects!)

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

[This message was edited by Leader on September 02, 2003 at 05:22 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    "As long as a site is search engine friendly, it will not fade, as long as search engines remain in high use by buyers."

Well, i'm talking about datafeed/pure product sites which i think will fade. Right now not a problem but in the future buyers might start using the search engines' product search like Froogle and the upcoming Yahoo Product search this month. Plus it's not a very good idea to completely rely on SE traffic, many have been bitten by this thinking in the past. Sites like Connie's FlamingoWorld and sites such as FatWallet could be wiped from all the SE's and still would make money as they say 95% of their traffic doesn't come from search engines. Datafeed sites are very SE friendly but i don't see those types of sites getting bookmarked and getting any free publicity(news, word of mouth etc.) Plus more and more affiliates are using feeds and some will abuse them and you might see more and more Tiger Direct kinda deals. Completely relying on the SE's for all your traffic, not a very good idea.

ABW Ambassador
    What I always found with my merchants is, that the payment process is difficult and long lasting. I think if this could be improved a lot of visitors would buy more online. Also if the visitor that looks e.g. for Jeans needs first to click to different merchant pages until he arrives at the page he wants.

carneol

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This is a very worthwhile tread for all involved in ecommerce and affiliate marketing to read. Merchants way too often turn to affiliates as a cheap form of advertising to send traffic to their lame offerings. Unfortunately there is no test a merchant has to take to achieve network merchant status. Damn shame it isn't they have to prove to the networks they average 1 sale per 100 visitors.

DPG pointed out: "WE could pay a little attention to the old marketing adage "Remove All Objections". I know this is old news and its been covered a million times but I am repeating it due to it's importance."

OH so true! Case in point on how this works explains why OverStock went from a nobody to a top 50 shopping site no longer relying upon affiliate traffic for success. Upon pushing Patrick Byrnes sat down and outlined on a notepad all the reasons OS customers could come up with NOT TO buy from his site.

1. Cleanup the sites navigation and display of products to make alternate choices simple.
    2. Show only name brand products at clearly discounted prices. To eliminate comparison shopping ..guarantee the low price and sell NO JUNK....period!
    3. No gouging or surprises on freight and handling charges come checkout time. $2.95 shipping on all total orders equals an effective advertising/branding campaign.
    4. Limit exposure to the profit pitfalls of "incent" marketing by not diluting profits on worthless coupon/rebate advertising offers, when you can pupup the same offer at your website. Limited Free freight offers work better than coupons any day of the week.
    5. Build return shopper trust by fulfilling every order, making returns a simple one step process with return labels & 30 day money back guarantee, price protection feature, and make sure e-mail specials ...ARE SPECIAL.
    6. Tell the human interest OS story, while showing the world, that a honest, ethical, cancer surviver can kick the carpet bagger VC folks out of his office and create a lean mean internet sales machine.
    7. Make your competitors cringe on having to meet your offerings and reputation while hanging onto your customers with post sales support. Existing satisfied customers are the easiest group to sell back into if you run your own loyalty program.

Notice how OS can afford to let their ABW forum be read only. They still pay on time and offer shoppers great deals. My take is the forum was closed when CEO Patrick Byrnes took a look at his original notepad's contents and saw his ebiz plan not being followed. Mis-trust was being seeded by "incent" BHO popups and coupon SE trickery undermining lucrative private portal deals and the internal loyalty shopping efforts. Basically OS does not need, or want, shady affiliates or the "tricks-for-Clicks" crowd pushing their brand. They are an entrenched top 50 destination site, with or without affiliates, fueling even the eBay power sellers with products.

They have earned their bookmark in the online etailing game by addressing conversions and ALL shopper legit objections right upfront.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    "As long as a site is search engine friendly, it will not fade, as long as search engines remain in high use by buyers."

Well, i'm talking about datafeed/pure product sites which i think will fade. Right now not a problem but in the future buyers might start using the search engines' product search like Froogle and the upcoming Yahoo Product search this month. Plus it's not a very good idea to completely rely on SE traffic, many have been bitten by this thinking in the past. Sites like Connie's FlamingoWorld and sites such as FatWallet could be wiped from all the SE's and still would make money as they say 95% of their traffic doesn't come from search engines. Datafeed sites are very SE friendly but i don't see those types of sites getting bookmarked and getting any free publicity(news, word of mouth etc.) Plus more and more affiliates are using feeds and some will abuse them and you might see more and more Tiger Direct kinda deals. Completely relying on the SE's for all your traffic, not a very good idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Is this from experience or are you guessing? All of my sites get bookmarked, hand created, data feeds, combo, if people find what they are looking for as soon as they get there, they will bookmark you. Relying on search engines is not the best plan, but I'll worry about that when that changes, hehe.

Affiliate Manager
    Tried and Proven methods in my business-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Rebates- offer prominantly
    <LI>Guarenteed prices- offer prominantly
    <LI>Use purchase wording- book now works better than more info- get them in a buying frame of mood
    <LI>Less choices- You can offer the same amount of products- but on more pages- tell the visitor the best three hotels in Vegas for shopping, the best for poker, the best for location, the best for food... each page will perform better than one page with 50 Vegas hotels with good restaurants
    <LI>Phone availability for high ticket items- of course, make sure it is a program that tracks your aff ID[/list]

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> search engines' product search like Froogle <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the great advantage of leaving prices on your pages. All my sites that still display prices are included in Froogle. I did not apply. It just picked my products up itself. Froogle loves datafeeds due to listing standardisation that allows it to apply a formula to extract individual products from a site. However I am yet to see any traffic (sales) coming from there. Do not apply as they do not include affiliate sites but will include your products if it finds them itself.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rebates- offer prominantly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message was edited by DPG on September 02, 2003 at 02:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by DPG on September 02, 2003 at 02:38 PM.]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Customer testimonials help people feel more confident buying from a store. Try to find some that mention how easy it was to order, how fast delivery was, what great values or whatever benefits you think your buyers would be interested in. If the merchant does not have any good testimonials on their site, try to find some in BizRate or ePinions.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    <FONT COLOR=red size="1">EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!
    </font>

I have mentioned this before and probably will again, anytime the subject of conversion rates come up.

This is some of the most powerful stuff I have read on increasing conversion rates and also persuasive copywriting for the web. Be sure to check the archives.

"Wouldn't it be great to get more sales without spending more money to drive more visitors to your site? You can. There are hundreds of ways to improve your Customer Conversion Rate, many of which can be done very quickly and some of which cost absolutely nothing to implement!"

GrokDotCom is the Award-winning, plain spoken, practical, and refreshingly irreverent FREE newsletter that shows you how.

http://www.grokdotcom.com/

Here a couple of great conversion articles read:
    http://www.grokdotcom.com/calls-to-action.htm
    http://www.grokdotcom.com/website-design-that-sells.htm

5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    <FONT COLOR=red size="1">EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!
    </font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If the merchant does not have any good testimonials on their site, try to find some in BizRate or ePinions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that legal and good practice?

Not sure why it wouldn't be. With BizRate, the merchant agrees to integrate the BizRate surveys into the merchant's site. It is the merchant's customer who is making the statement. Most merchants have a link to BizRate on their homepage, so customers can check their ratings. When I have recommended this in the past I say to note that they are customer testimonials from BizRate since this gives more credibility and also gives them credit for the quote.

</font>

That is a great idea. I wonder if there is a way to import them dynamically.

ABW Ambassador
    Be warned: Bizrate is one of 'our' (all affiliate marketers) biggest rivals. My educated guess would place them as CJs and other networks leading affiliates in terms of earnings. I am not going to advertise the competition on my sites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast