Question Name That Tune...
    I knew the tune, I could hum the first few bars, I even hummed it into my PDA for later recall. But what in the world is the name of that tune? It was very upbeat and catchy. I wanted it in my collection of all-time favorites! I googled and googled AND googled but could not come up with it. I searched off and on literally for several years. For a time I heard the first few bars on a TV commercial for a local radio station. What was that tune??

Than, all of a sudden, while standing in line at Taco Bell last night, those first few bars began flowing melodiously from the speaker in the ceiling just above me. That's it! I gave up my place in line to rush over to my son in-law who was filling the girl's cups at the soda pop machine. Being a trivia junkie, I had no doubt he could enlighten me. And without hesitation, out flowed those words that I had so long searched for, not only the title but the artist as well. My search was over!

Today as I worked at my desk, as with most days, my favorite jazz station fills my office with the best music in the world [IMO]. Suddenly, those all too familiar opening bars began flowing from the speakers. I couldn't believe my ears. Again, within a sixteen hour period, after years of search I was presented with my song and a confirmation of the title as well as the original artist's name. A new version but still as enjoyable.

How is someone to discover the details of a song that only the tune is known? There should be a database where you can play a few notes on your keyboard that result in possible matches. Tunes.Google.Com? Nope!

So here are the first four bars of the song. Can you NAME THAT TUNE?
    Attached Images Attached Images

X

.. for the love of god, I just spent 15 minutes at my digital piano playing those bars.. over & over... and I STILL don't know..

Either not my genre, or I'm not getting the tempo right...

I can totally identify with this; there's an old pop song from my teeny bopper days that still torments me. I know who sang the original, but can't remember which teen idol did the remake.. and from which "record"..

I'm at a loss and usually good at this. Why is every note a "sharp"?

Anyway, I've attached your notes as a MIDI file (just unzip and play it)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    There should be a database where you can play a few notes on your keyboard that result in possible matches.
    Awesome idea for a site! I wouldn't be surprised if there's one out there. Similar to the "What's The Font" page that someone posted about a few weeks ago. It would make a great affiliate site. Once the tune is identified, they'll want to buy a CD or download from iTunes or somewhere, right?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Boomers - Can you give some more info? That sounds familiar. I've got a big DJing background so I might be able to figure it out with a clue or two Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Man - I am close to this I think the actual song is faster than the MIDI file.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Awesome idea for a site! I wouldn't be surprised if there's one out there. Similar to the "What's The Font" page that someone posted about a few weeks ago. It would make a great affiliate site. Once the tune is identified, they'll want to buy a CD or download from iTunes or somewhere, right?
    It would probably get shut down by the RIAA if it got big enough to be noticed. They like to go after the guitar tab sites, lyrics sites, anything that they feel they can bully.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Arrow Hint
    The year was 1982.

X

Arrow Hint #2
    In the midi, Hold the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th notes and the last two notes together as one for a more recognizable sample. The tempo is pretty close to correct.

Apparently the original song was written in sharps.

X

lalllaaaa steppin' ouuouuut.. Something like that.
    ---
    ---

You Got It!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    lalllaaaa steppin' ouuouuut.. Something like that.
    You got it! Stepping Out by Joe Jackson!

X

I Rock!
    ---
    ---

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread