Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    October 21st, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    19
    Coupon Scripts
    Hi everyone,

    I was hoping someone could answer a question I have. I was over at Sitepoint Marketplace the other day and saw someone selling a coupon script site. My question is are there any good scripts out there that I could use to start up a brand new coupon site? I'm sure this niche is very saturated but I thought I could link them to my current site along with my up & coming sites to get traffic and start there.

    Coupons sites seem daunting so I'm assuming there must be some way of using a script or database of some sort to do it. Is there a simple(r) version a newbie would find helpful and the learning curve not so steep?

    Thanks so much,
    Sophie

  2. #2
    Moderator BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    jacked by sylon www.sylonddos.weebly.com
    Posts
    9,618
    A good question.

    Does anyone have a answer to it??

    Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

  3. #3
    Newbie HazelB's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2007
    Posts
    74
    A simple one...
    http://scriptowl.com/product_info.ph...d3c0140e073a0f

    More complex would be CMS like Joomla or Wordpress. Also VBulletin modded like fatwallet or slickdeals so that when a user posts a link to a merchant, the link is automatically replaced with a link containing your affiliate code.

  4. #4
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by HazelB
    A simple one...
    http://scriptowl.com/product_info.ph...d3c0140e073a0f

    More complex would be CMS like Joomla or Wordpress. Also VBulletin modded like fatwallet or slickdeals so that when a user posts a link to a merchant, the link is automatically replaced with a link containing your affiliate code.
    ScriptOWL scrapes coupons from other sites.

  5. #5
    Newbie HazelB's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2007
    Posts
    74
    There's some good examples in this CNN article today. One is just a Blogger blog.

    http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/28/pf/g...ction=money_pf

  6. #6
    Newbie HazelB's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2007
    Posts
    74
    Wow! That article got mentioned on Fark.

    That means all of you ABWers who got their site mentioned in that article and in the column of coupon sites next to it are gonna get 100,000 visitors today.

    CONGRATS!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    109
    Personally, I wrote my own. It was just too complex to depend on an out-of-the-box solution for all the customizations I wanted. Just the automatic generation of affiliate URLs from non-affiliate URLs is a chore, and I wanted something that integrated well with my site.

    Then again, I'm adding 80 to 100 deals a day to my site, so streamlining it all was important. If you're only adding a couple of niche target areas, you might be okay using some sort of content management system.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    2
    hey dustin,

    I'm new to affiliate marketing. Can you please tell me how to "create automatic generation of affiliate URLs from non-affiliate URLs"

    Also, how long does it take for you to add 100 deals a day. It looks all your deals are hand picked from several websites. Doesn't it require lot of time?

    -sam

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by msam
    hey dustin,

    I'm new to affiliate marketing. Can you please tell me how to "create automatic generation of affiliate URLs from non-affiliate URLs"

    Also, how long does it take for you to add 100 deals a day. It looks all your deals are hand picked from several websites. Doesn't it require lot of time?

    -sam
    It's certainly not something that could be explained over a forum conversation, so I'll just touch the high points. Basically, you need to transform the URL of the merchant into the URL required by the affiliate network. Certainly each network is different, and within those networks, sometimes each merchant can be different as well.

    The typical process involves taking the merchant URL, urlencoding it, and then adding that on to some generic affiliate URL for that merchant with a url parameter. Shareasale seems to handle it the best, followed by maybe performics or CJ. I've had a hell of a time with LinkShare, apparently all they want to support is their link builder. With 80-100 URLs a day, I just don't have time to log in and punch down into all of these merchants to build links.

    And yes, it is a lot of work. But it's not like every one of the products we feature involves building an automatic link, many of the deals I feature are from email newsletters from the merchants or product data feeds.

    -Dustin

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    109
    P.S. Check the appropriate affiliate network forums here for more info. For instance, CJ has their own forum, and the topic of "deep linking" comes up a lot in there, as I've picked up a few tips myself.

  11. #11
    Full Member OICUAM2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    421
    Wouldn't you think that a company like shopping.com or pricegrabber would start a co-brand program so we could put our domain names on a complete shopping/coupon site without needing to update offers and links?

    GoldenCan is sorta like this, but I'm not impressed with the layout and functionality. I'm waiting for a company to allow a co-branded shopping site, but seems like I have been waiting longer than I should have to.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    109
    I think you can with pricegrabber, or at least that's what I was told when I was having conversations with them about integrating price comparison into my site.

  13. #13
    Full Member OICUAM2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    421
    thanks, I'll look into pricegrabber

    Ok, I'm back. I found this blog post helpful:

    http://www.nextgenerationshopping.co...hare-programs/

  14. #14
    Believe knight01's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2006
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    Wouldn't you think that a company like shopping.com or pricegrabber would start a co-brand program so we could put our domain names on a complete shopping/coupon site without needing to update offers and links?
    Looks like an opening for a plug. Take a look at formetocoupon.com, they provide a range of services up to and including a full coupon and deals data feed that is available and updated for you. All you have to do is sit back and watch the commissions roll in. (ok, that last part may be a stretch. but the rest is accurate)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin999
    It's certainly not something that could be explained over a forum conversation, so I'll just touch the high points. Basically, you need to transform the URL of the merchant into the URL required by the affiliate network. Certainly each network is different, and within those networks, sometimes each merchant can be different as well.

    The typical process involves taking the merchant URL, urlencoding it, and then adding that on to some generic affiliate URL for that merchant with a url parameter. Shareasale seems to handle it the best, followed by maybe performics or CJ. I've had a hell of a time with LinkShare, apparently all they want to support is their link builder. With 80-100 URLs a day, I just don't have time to log in and punch down into all of these merchants to build links.

    And yes, it is a lot of work. But it's not like every one of the products we feature involves building an automatic link, many of the deals I feature are from email newsletters from the merchants or product data feeds.

    -Dustin

    Thanks for your reply. That gave me a hint to proceed with. Anyway, i have almost completed designing my website and i'm satisfied with the look and feel of the script. My only problem is adding deals everyday................i hardly find time to add even 10 deals a day

    Rightnow, i'm dealing with CJ and LS. Will give a try on shareasale as well
    Maybe i should start reading those merchant newsletters everyday.....it's annoying to see 100's of emails everyday especially when most of them are junk worthless deals

    - sam

  16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
  3. Pepperjam coupon scripts?
    By lulav in forum Couponer's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
  4. Scripts
    By walton in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •