Suggestion for 2008
    Are there any plans to have any sessions at Summit East 2008 regarding the tax situation? Right now the current tax law is having a tremendous affect on NY affiliates, but affiliates from other states are also going to be affected as are networks and merchants. I, like many others, know it will not go away. Many other states are poised to follow,- California, NJ, even Mass among many others. The Summit seems like it would be perfect time to address the issue.

I think perhaps the industry as a whole needs to address the issue and be prepared for the next round of laws and changes. One only has to look at how merchants are scrambling over the last few days to see the need for all to sit down and discuss the issue. I cannot imagine a better time then Affiliate East 2008 when leaders from the industry are gathered. This is not just a New York issue and it won't go away. How long before California decides that the taxes Amazon and other merchants are collecting are too enticing to not grab? The Amazon-NY lawsuit will most likely be ongoing and not likely to be resolved in months. I highly doubt other states are going to wait until it resolves to enact their laws.

I know that a session at the Summit will not serve to solve the problem but I think that perhaps it can begin to find a solution. Right now, many NY affiliates are losing their business. Others will follow. Affiliate business is going to change and if we want to help control the direction we need to take charge.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

This is absolutely a problem that is not going to go away. New York is only the beginning. The 45 states with a Sales and Use Tax are losing a LOT of revenue to online sales and, as mellie suggests, they "are" going to do something about it.

I don't know what the answers are, will be, or need to be. But it certainly behooves all of affiliate marketing to put it on the table for everyone to see and become better informed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    I Agree. It doesn't affect me so far... But I bet it will spread to most other states in the next few years. I think it's a huge topic that should be dealt with.

Great Idea!

Great suggestion! I know the deadlines have probably already passed, but this should definitely be squeezed in as a special session.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes. This is extremely important to all affiliates. Everyone needs to get out there and voice their opinions, frustrations, and ideas. Affiliate Summit will undoubtedly make a special session for this. I don't see how they couldn't.

-sfcom

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    We'd be happy to make some room for it - does anybody have a suggestion for a format?

We have a slot from 3-4pm on the Sunday of the conference.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I would recommend having a panel of 1 to 3 legal and/or tax experts who can make themselves very familiar with the law and exactly what it requires, and what it allows for.

I still receive numerous calls and emails from merchants/OPMs/Etc... who don't have a clear understanding of exactly what the law states. There seem to be many misunderstandings...

Understanding the law is the first step for everyone - and is critical to making a decision as to what to do from there.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Getting hit by a car this morning is nothing compared to how I feel right now. It might be too late to be of any help to NY affiliates. It is critical for the industry to get a grip on what this law really means. Based on the wide range of reactions from merchants no one is clear on what the law is.

It is equally important for merchants to understand what impact their decisions to just kick out NY'ers or other affiliates really means so I think that should be a part of the Summit as well.

I am just so devastated right now I can't even go on talking about this. I'll try and come back later when I stop crying.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Totally agree with Brian about including lawyers and clearly explaining the law.

Kevin might be good on the panel as well, as he's as up to speed on it as anyone.

You might check with the DMA or LinkShare to find out who ran the DMA conference call. They would be a good one.

It might be best to leave the exact content of the panel flexible until August, because you never know what new developments there will be between now and then (a defeat in the courts, revoking the law, other states introducing similar laws, changes to the guidance, clarifications from NY, NY going after merchants, networks or merchants being subpoenaed for data, etc.) This is far from over.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I am feeling a little better so I am back.

I think that another part of the session should be between the affected affiliates and merchants/networks/OPM at which time we can reach some kind of agreement to alternatives. Perhaps NY'ers could just rent webspace to a merchant for a set monthly fee, be paid on a per click basis or so on. I am sure other affiliates have ideas of what would be acceptable form of compensation. None of them would be perfect but perhaps these temporary terms could hold some of us over. Figure out what the law means and then find a way NY affiliates can survive.

Networks, like SAS, need to be involved because they can educate merchants as to their alternatives.

I think we really need to figure this out.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Bumping this up to see what the status is.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    We've got space for it - would somebody here be interested in leading it as the moderator?
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread