Some yahoo has decided it would be easier to cut and paste text from our site directly onto their site. For example:

Our Refund Policy

Their Refund Policy

Our Z Turbo Listing

Their Z Turbo Listing

It could certainly be worse, they've only pilfered text from our site. It's still frustrating considering the amount of work we've put into our text.

Any suggestions as to how to best deal with this low life scum bag?

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Oh yeah, here's another good one.

Our Bravo Mini Page

Their Z Mini Page

These guys are a real class act.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

I bet Yahoo would be interested in hearing about this.

From the Yahoo Stores Tos:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You agree to not use the Service to:

f. upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yahoo Stores: 1-866-458-8742

ABW Ambassador
    Definitely report these yahoos to Yahoo! I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing about it.

Michael

Maybe they were having a momentary creative lapse due to lack of blood flow to the brain...

I just love it when I come across things I've written on other sites! I can't believe they think they will actually get away with it. Losers...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank - UrbanScooters.com:
    Some yahoo has decided it would be easier to cut and paste text from our site directly onto their site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would the manufacturer or distributer of the Z Turbo scooter be able to help? At some point in the supply chain, your path crosses with the site copier's and the company controlling that point might find it in their interest to assist. They likely rely on their dealers for their profits and may interested in making sure things run smoothly in the lower ranks.

Also, Google takes copyright infringenment very seriously and takes down sites that violate the DMCA. See the thread at Webmaster World: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/16366.htm

Wayne

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Frank,

Since they are a YahooStore, that is who you need to report the infraction to. Things like this is why there is a DMCA. Hosting companies are required to enforce it, otherwise it could come back on them liability wise.

If you take a look around the YahooStore area you should find an email addy for making such reports. Probably something like abuse@. They will have a specific format you have to follow to make the complaint, but if you let them know there is a copyright infraction, they will the contact you will the details of what they need.

Be sure to save copies of all the pages from their site that is copied. You will need to be able to show what what stolen. In case the Yahoo removes the pages (hint there are clicks coming through from this thread which will show in their referrer logs).

I don't even fool around emailing the stealers anymore. I just go straight to the hosting company and file a complaint.

The factor of all the hard work you put into your text (changing and modifying to get the best response etc) is why there is intellectual property rights also.

You shouldn't have a problem though. Report it to Yahoo and they will have to take the content down and/or risk their site being taken down by Yahoo.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    I would contact that company first. The person who is in charge may not know that the person making those pages did that. If you contact the powers that be, at that company, you might get someone in some hot water.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    www.webproconnect.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you contact the powers that be, at that company, you might get someone in some hot water.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is that a bad thing? They stole his content...

ABW Ambassador
    Again, file a complaint with Google also. They're outbidding you on Adwords.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    well... if the owner of the company doesn't know the person who made the page did that, then when they find out the person who did the copy job will probably get chewed out, fired, or whatever. I can see that happening. You wouldn't believe how many company leaders don't really know about what their subordinates are doing. I would think that contacting the owner/president of the company might be the first step.

Big Chuck
    www.webproconnect.com

You're being too judicious, Chuck.

As a competitor, I'd want Yahoo to pull their site for at least a day, so that's where I'd start *****ing.

ABW Ambassador
    lol. getting yanked offline would definitely get someones attention.

Big Chuck
    www.webproconnect.com

Chuck I've gone that route contacting the company first. All it got me was verbally abused by the folks who were stealing from me. I don't even bother anymore. Especially when the same company stole my content again 6 months later! Guess they were stealing so much, they lost track of who.

The second offense really ticked me off. Especially when they got nasty a second time in their appeal to my DCMA complaint. Wrong move on their part. At that point, I decided it was time to let the manufacture of the product they were pushing aware of the fact these boofs were cybersquatting on a trademarked name of their product. Three weeks later they had a new domain name.

I have no compassion for folks who are just down right lazy and stealing. And you don't place nicey when competitors are stealing from you.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't even fool around emailing the stealers anymore. ~BLFH <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me neither. After one round of hearing a bunch of BS whining, I don't want another helping!

Now it's straight to the merchants, to get the site thief dropped.

Since the thief in this case IS a merchant, I'd go for the Tell Yahoo approach.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

If its any consolation, UrbanScooters.com is a much nicer site.

I can't understand why anyone would still be using yahoo stores at this point. Maybe they're easier to setup, or perhaps there's some built in cachet of trust for cautious online shoppers, but other than that, I don't get it.

Thanks Gang,

I'll go ahead and report the hoodlums to Yahoo and Google right away. All the advice is appreciated!!!

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Go get 'em Frank! Sure does get the blood pressure up when you find this stuff doesn't?

BLFH,

Yes, it certainly does get the blood moving. The evil doer has been reported. If I get a status report back or learn anything more I'll post the news here. Hopefully I'll have good news to report.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Good luck Frank.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Frank,

If I can help in anyway ... just say so

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

*A FOUL SITE COPIER UPDATE*

I mentioned we were upset about the copied text to a manufacturer both the evil dooer and UrbanScooters.com share a relationship with. Since we're this manufacturer's top ecommerce client, we're pretty tight with them and they must have put the fear of God in these guys for us. All offending text was re-written by the following day.

I'm glad to see this resolved easily because Yahoo Stores got back to us with a list of the info we would need to provide them to file an official report. It would have taken some time to compile that info.

Thanks for all your help on this one gang! It's been much appreciated!!!

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Frank,

Glad you were able to get everything straightened out without the hassle of providing additional information.

While I understand the importance of making sure someone who's accused of site copying or spamming or whatever is truly guilty of the offense, it boggles my mind the information people want to make a decision.

My ISP wants so much info about people who attack my computer, it just isn't worth it to even report the incident(s). So, there's a lot more of it because no one has the time to provide everything they ask for...

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Frank what steps have you taken to provent your datafeed from populating a Yahoo store for the Christmas season. Drop ship Supplier sources for those scooters are just a google away.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Mike,

Hmmmmm... very interesting. I've sent you a PM on this.

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread