Canned Rejection Reply
    I am sure that it's only me that gets a little nuts with a rejection like:
    Dear Bozo:
    >
    > We regret to inform you that Merchant Wonderful, Inc. has chosen not to accept
    > you into their affiliate program at this time. The reason for this
    > decision may be as follows:
    >
    > * inability to access Web site
    > * Web site not yet live
    > * traffic levels too low
    > * inappropriate material on site
    >
    > Please feel free to re-apply with Merchant Wonderful, Inc. whenever you feel you
    > have been able to address the concern(s) listed above.
    >
    > The LinkShare Network also consists of hundreds of other Affiliate
    > Programs. We encourage you to look for other programs that may be of
    > interest to you.
    I feel a tad better after my reply:
    Hello Merchant,
    Thanks for your consideration. I checked your home page and have determined I can't use you on my site anyway for one of the following possible reasons:
    * Your site loads like a snail
    * You have the term Sex on the front page
    * Your reply was a cold catch all
    * Our business model could be damaged by links to you.

Please feel free to beg to get on my site if from my clues above you figure out why we reject you back.

rofl I needed that today

" Please feel free to beg to get on my site if from my clues above you figure out why we reject you back."

From one Bozo to another:
    Can I, can I use that line sometime to write back to merchant wonderful, too? lol

Wink
    That's good. I like it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I got one like that this morning. I wish I had read this first.

Perfect.

I love that Do you have it copyrighted or can we all use it?

Anyone may, and is encouraged, to use my text edited or word for word.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Imagine my surprise when I opened my email this morning and found your rejection letter for our web site! I'm thinking that one of the new people on our staff has not been properly trained to research new merchants before applying. We're sorry for the inconvenience, but we are not in a position to allow any of our valued customers be directed to your current web property.

Give the merchant a break... It's an automated Linkshare email that merchants cannot change.

http and a telephoto
    Joshua, I was about to say that. Bumpaw your reply is priceless However, CJ (and apparently Linkshare) don't allow customization of the rejection email, and we have to live with what they have. I actually reject some affiliates expecting to hear back from them so that we can start a dialogue about their sites. Shareasale allows the email to be customized by the merchant, but not personalized for each individual.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I actually reject some affiliates expecting to hear back from them so that we can start a dialogue about their sites.
    I appreciate that and normally reply asking for a more helpful reason so that my site might improve. Often that leads to being accepted, but this time the merchant is probably not a good fit so I could kinda vent.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    CJ (and apparently Linkshare) don't allow customization of the rejection email, and we have to live with what they have. I actually reject some affiliates expecting to hear back from them so that we can start a dialogue about their sites.
    Good to know. It's obviously a canned letter, I would just assume (if anyone actually ever rejected me (really, it's not you, it's us)) that if the AM was too lazy to cite a specific reason then I should probably move on to a different program that was more interested in working with me. Thus no dialog. Knowing what I know now, I would probably ask for more info (if I were ever rejected of course).

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    "Give the merchant a break... It's an automated Linkshare email that merchants cannot change."

That's a given... but a merchant that understands the word Partnership would have sent a PERSONAL response before hitting the Reject button

This is one of the many LITTLE things that can be fixed soooooooo easily, yet the powers that be seem to still find pleasure in treating affiliates like dregs

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think I've ever gotten a personal rejection reply. If/when I reply to the rejection, is usually when I get a personal reply. But these rejection emails could be better. Should be a whole list of reasons for a rejection and the merchant should be able to check off the one(s) most appropriate or have some space to add in a comment. Not sure the setup now between the various networks.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Should be a whole list of reasons for a rejection and the merchant should be able to check off the one(s) most appropriate or have some space to add in a comment.
    As an AM I would like that to be the case.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I appreciate that and normally reply asking for a more helpful reason so that my site might improve. Often that leads to being accepted, but this time the merchant is probably not a good fit so I could kinda vent.
    Why did you even apply if the merchant was not a good fit? That doesn't make sense.

No one ever complains about getting a "form acceptance letter". I don't think it is so much the form that upsets people as it is the rejection. Most people don't do well with rejection no matter what way it is presented.

As a merchant who manages my own affiliate program, I send a form rejection letter if the applicant's website is woefully out of compliance. If someone with a web site like that is applying, they don't have a clue to begin with, and to be honest, I don't have the time to nurse them.

If I have to reject someone on a specific point or two, I will write a personal email and attempt to work through it with the them, but you will be surprised how many get "conditionally" rejected, just say f#$& you, and you never hear from them again.

Jim

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Jim,

The reasons mentioned in the rejection letter

inability to access Web site
    > * Web site not yet live
    > * traffic levels too low
    > * inappropriate material on site

are not the reasons for being rejected.

Speaking just 4 myself, if you're gonna reject me I want a reason that actually APPLIES to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    No one ever complains about getting a "form acceptance letter".
    Of course we don't. Why would we? Once excepted into a program we know what to do next. Start building pages, adding banners or what ever it is that we need to do to promote your products effectively. On the other hand, a form rejection letter only says:

"We've decided to reject you for one or more of the several reasons listed below. One of these may be obvious to you, however if it isn't you can try fixing all of these things and re-apply to our program. If none of these seem to fit your site then just start tinkering around with fonts, colors etc. until you hit on something that we like. Frankly, we don't really care if you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what I could have told you in an e-mail, I mean come on, it's my time that's really valuable here."
    Obviously I'm being somewhat facetious here, but think about it. A laundry list of reasons is more insulting than helpful. Loxly's explanation of how the networks handle these helps explain why they aren't more specific, but doesn't explain why merchants haven't complained to the networks to get this procedure changed. It would seem to me that it would benefit the network, merchant and affiliate to have a more specific reason given to the affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    If I have to reject someone on a specific point or two, I will write a personal email and attempt to work through it with the them,
    That's the way it should be handled. Networks should have an option to send a more specific response.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; May 31st, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    you will be surprised how many get "conditionally" rejected, just say f#$& you, and you never hear from them again.
    F#$& you--that's my response. If a merchant doesn't like something about me/my site, then I'll find one who does. I have no patience or desire to deal with merchants who I have to teach why my sites are a) staying exactly as they are, and b) why that's a good thing.

Another thing--I learned something from my worst j*b ever: If they think I'm not a good fit at the first application, they are right! There's something about THEM that *I'M* going to think sucks in astronomic proportions!

I found after a couple of tests that it applies to merchants, too--even though they are not empl*yers. Working with rejectors, does not work.

Of course, I don't like rejections, but I most certainly don't like having to jump through hoops (either having to explain myself and/or "schmooze") to get myself into a program--only to find out that their AM or owner is a nitpicker who confuses himself for a j*b-type "manager", has bricks for brains, or some combination of the two.

I offer what I offer. Merchants can take it or leave it.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread